• BirdForum is the net's largest birding community dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE!

Register for an account to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Redpoll in Toronto, Canada (1 Viewer)

Eildert

Hello,

Here are three pictures of an individual redpoll from a group of 80 that regularly roam Tommy Thompson Park in Toronto. This individual struck me as having quite a pale base color, especially on the back. I was also struck by the clearly buffy face. I though (hoped) that this might be a female Hoary. Not a very clearcut case, though. What do you guys think?

Attachments

• DSCF0479.jpg
    DSCF0479.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 21
  • DSCF0485.jpg
    DSCF0485.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 21
  • DSCF0491.jpg
    DSCF0491.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 21

Deb Burhinus

Used to be well known! 😎
Europe
With the proviso, this was taken in recently: (could you confirm?)

It looks Hornemann’s imo, yes - note overall frosty appearance which at this time of year, strongly suggests a Hoary as Common Redpolls will have had their white feather fringes on worn down by now and acquiring darker breeding plumage - Also note the white edges to the flight feathers.

With the heavy streaking on the side and buffy face it would have to be a female probably in it’s first winter/spring plumage.

Note the heavy feathered trousers, also good id criteria for Horneman’s.

Users who are viewing this thread