• BirdForum is the net's largest birding community dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE!

Register for an account to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Redpoll sp., UK. (1 Viewer)

Pete Mella

Getting there...
Just wondering what people's thoughts are about this Redpoll, taken this morning in Sheffield, UK?

Attachments

• IMG_2117.JPG
    IMG_2117.JPG
    400.9 KB · Views: 194
  • IMG_2118.JPG
    IMG_2118.JPG
    98.7 KB · Views: 206

Pete Mella

Getting there...
Thanks Steve,

Flitting between both options to be honest...

Pro mealy - the very clean underparts, white wing bars, limited red wash to chest, lack of obvious eye ring, impression of a supercilium, etc.

Pro lesser - browner upperparts, no obvious white rump on few shots I got that show back (although appears unstreaked?), structure not outside what you'd expect for lesser (but not outside range of mealy...), some possible hints of buff in wing bars, etc.

Guess this time of year they just become redpolls ;)

Attachments

• redpollrump.jpg
    redpollrump.jpg
    301.5 KB · Views: 82

mr.p

not of this world
Mealy for me - width of undertail covert streak on white background, overall lake of buff tones

Last edited:

mäkpe

The last picture shows brown rump which would be very unusual for mealy. The first shows contrast between brown chest and white belly so Lesser Redpoll. The color of wingbars is not too good feature as all three, Lesser, Mealy and Arctic (exilipes) can show it.

PhilW

Mealy for me - width of undertail covert streak on white background, overall lake of buff tones

You can't go on under tail covert streaking as this seems like it may also be age related. Here's photo's of two Redpolls caught and ringed in my garden this year.

The left hand two photo's are of a controlled adult male Lesser and the right two are a 1st winter male Mealy (on biometrics).

Attachments

• L Redpoll 6m 200114.jpg
    L Redpoll 6m 200114.jpg
    441.1 KB · Views: 39
  • L Redpoll 6m control2 200114.jpg
    L Redpoll 6m control2 200114.jpg
    225.9 KB · Views: 40
  • Mealy3 300114.jpg
    Mealy3 300114.jpg
    217.1 KB · Views: 47
  • Mealy4.jpg
    Mealy4.jpg
    213.4 KB · Views: 41
Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread