• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Redpoll UK, with yellow on the head. (1 Viewer)

alan_rymer

United Kingdom
Took these photo's today of two Redpoll ( lesser ? ) with a flock of Goldfinch.
1st bird, typical Redpoll, 2nd bird, the area where the red should be is mainly gold. Any thoughts? or does this happen frequently.

Attachments

• tn_DSC02272_cr.jpg
    tn_DSC02272_cr.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 189
  • tn_DSC02277_cr.JPG
    tn_DSC02277_cr.JPG
    41.5 KB · Views: 193
  • tn_DSC02281_cr.jpg
    tn_DSC02281_cr.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 209
  • tn_DSC02285_cr.jpg
    tn_DSC02285_cr.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 163
The second bird looks like a 1st winter (the pointed tail tips are a good indicator) with the colour on the crown just coming through - that might explain why it looks a bit strange at the moment.

We see this in House Finches - some are yellow where most are red. It's said to be dietary. Perhaps the same is happening here?

Alan

Hi, I've seen this gold shimmer effect on quite a few redpoll that I've handled (for ringing) and suspect, but am not sure, that these are elderly female birds . . . they're usually older birds and adult males would (might) probably be showing some red on the chest or rump.

I've not been ringing them for long so have not yet retrapped many birds of known age but one bird had a closed aviary ring on (accidental release I suppose), which was dated 2 years previously, and this had a very strong gold in the cap, and little red.

Also, if you can get some more photos with the tail in pin-sharp focus, as Andrew said you just m-a-y be able to "age" the birds . . . it can be a bit tricky even in the hand but a "good" youngster will have very pointed tail feathers wheareas the older birds' tfs will be rounded.

Andy

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back