• BirdForum is the net's largest birding community dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE!

Register for an account to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Reducing mb in a photo (1 Viewer)

Lisa W

Staff member
Supporter
Trevor, since I don't have PSE 11 this might not apply. But since no one else has answered, you might try this: In Photoshop when I go to save a photo if I just click on save file in the popup window it defaults to 10 which is the highest resolution. I can take that number down to say 6 or 7 and it will decrease the size of the file. The popup looks like the attached.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-07-01 at 10.04.12 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2013-07-01 at 10.04.12 AM.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 43

njlarsen

Gallery Moderator
Opus Editor
Supporter
Barbados
My ancient full photoshop has a "save for web" command that allows you to both change the number of pixels and the compression ratio at the same time, making it easy to get the size down. This command in that old version will strip metadata, so is not the best solution, but it works.

Slightly better is a two step process: change image size (there is a command somewhere in the menus) to something like 900 pixels on the long side, and then click save as where you should choose a jpg with a medium compression (setting of 6-7 usually is fine, but go back to the original if you want to make further changes). This process allows you to add a little extra sharpening to the downsized image before the save as if you so prefer.

Niels

btooze

If you are using Windows there is a very good free program called ImageResizer.

Regards,

Brian

Users who are viewing this thread