• BirdForum is the net's largest birding community dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE!

Register for an account to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Redwing or Icelandic Redwing? January 30th, 2021, Dunes Dutch Coast (1 Viewer)

Frank-birding

Frank van de Velde
Supporter
Today I took these images of a group of foraging Redwings. I noticed that one was particularly dark (many dark stripes on breast and belly). Could this be the Icelandic subspecies (Turdus iliacus coburni)? Perhaps it's still not dark enough?

In the attached image the candidate bird is shown 3 times in the left column (3 images, each marked with a small purple label). In the other two columns (the 6 unlabelled images in the middle and right columns) are the much more common (in the Netherlands) Redwing ssp. iliacus. These 6 images are other crops of the same photos, included to be able to compare the birds with identical lighting.

Location: Dunes North Holland (North Sea coast, vicinity of Amsterdam, dune area between Zandvoort and Noordwijk: De Zilk)

(Also possibly, in the 2nd photo, the bird flying third from the right could be the same individual. But I'm not certain as I wasn't able to follow it between the images.)

Regards,
Frank

Attachments

• 20210130-Redwing-Koperwiek_2.jpg
    20210130-Redwing-Koperwiek_2.jpg
    902.8 KB · Views: 48
  • 20210130-131727_Fuji-X-T3_DSCF7085_Koperwiek.jpg
    20210130-131727_Fuji-X-T3_DSCF7085_Koperwiek.jpg
    777 KB · Views: 44
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread