• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Reinwardt in Selenidera reinwardtii … in Latin (1 Viewer)

Björn Bergenholtz

(former alias "Calalp")
Sweden
Here´s a real challenge for anyone on Bird Forum that knows Latin!

As I understand it the: Golden-collared Toucanet Selenidera reinwardtii WAGLER 1827 a k a "Gold-collared Toucanet" or "Reinwardt's Toucanet" commemorates the Dutch (born in Prussia), botanist, explorer and collector; professor Caspar Georg Carl Reinwardt (1773–1854), who collected (whatever he found) in Java, Indonesia between 1817 and 1822.

Its type description is presented in: Wagler, J. 1827. Systema Avium, vol. I. This is an un-paginated work, in Latin (that I don´t understand at all), but I can find his name in a few places. (See attached pdf, excerpts) Link to full volume: http://books.google.se/books?id=16Q-AAAAcAAJ&printsec=frontcover&dq=Wagler.+1827.+%22Systema+Avium%22&hl=sv&sa=X&ei=dyZRUsH1JqyB4ASMhoGwDQ&redir_esc=y#v=onepage&q=Wagler.%201827.%20%22Systema%20Avium%22&f=false

The type description itself (last two pages in attached pdf), under Pteroglossus, as No. 11: Pt. Reinwardtii, doesn´t contain (from what I can see) any information on Reinwardt (or does it?), but in the 28(!) long Introduction (Prooemium) he is mentioned, at least, twice:

On page 13:
"…; neque minus grato animo accipiamus, quae multos per annos in insulis Moluccis praestitit Reinwardtius, quae obierunt in Sumatra et Java …"

And on page 24:
”Magnopere hoc Museum auctum est operâ amici mei veneratissimi, Reinwardtii, qui multas et eximias res ex Insulis Moluccis hue misit; … "

Without knowing any Latin at all I have to ask: Anyone feel like translating those two quotes? If so, please, as accurate as possible, as I would like to quote them myself in Swedish. And don´t hesitate to remark on any errors that I might have done transcribing it! Or if I missed some important parts or context in those short quotes?

And finally: Does this text tell us anything else regarding Reinwardt in connection with "his" Toucanet? Is there anything added in the sentences surrounding those quotes or added on that final page, summing up the Prooemium?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
PS. Just for the fun of it; the same Reinwardt is also (according to different sources) commemorated in, for example:
1. Javan Trogon Apalharpactes reinwardtii TEMMINCK 1822.
2. Orange-footed Scrubfowl Megapodius reinwardt DUMONT 1823.
3. Great Cuckoo-Dove Reinwardtoena* reinwardtsi TEMMINCK 1824 a k a "Reinwardt's Cuckoo-Dove" or "Reinwardt's Long-tailed Pigeon" (*Reinwardtoena BONAPARTE 1854).
4. Orange-backed Woodpecker Reinwardtipicus* validus TEMMINCK 1825 (*Reinwardtipicus BONAPARTE 1854).
5. Blackcap Babbler Turdoides reinwardtii SWAINSON 1831 a k a "Blackeye Babbler", "Black-eyed Babbler", " Western Dusky Babbler" or Reinwardt's Babbler".
… as well as several other taxa; frogs, snakes, insects, spiders and (most of all) plants.

But that´s another story. The Toucanet is the only species where he´s commemorated in its Swedish name – and they, the Swedish Bird Names, are the ones I´ve been trying to understand.

Attachments

• Systema Avium - 1827.pdf
    2.3 MB · Views: 58
Last edited:
On page 13:
Quote:
"…; neque minus grato animo accipiamus, quae multos per annos in insulis Moluccis praestitit Reinwardtius, quae obierunt in Sumatra et Java …"
And on page 24:
Quote:
”Magnopere hoc Museum auctum est operâ amici mei veneratissimi, Reinwardtii, qui multas et eximias res ex Insulis Moluccis hue misit; … "

The transcriptions above are imperfect, but here's what the texts mean:

And it is with no less gratitude that we shall receive those objects obtained over many years by Reinwardt in the Molucca Islands, things that occur in Sumatra and Java.... [here the transcription is lacking the noun antecedent to the relative pronoun quae, so it's impossible to know what "those objects" and "things" are]

This Museum is founded for the greater part on the efforts of my most esteemed friend, Reinwardt, who has sent many special objects to it from the Molucca Islands.... [I translate your 'hue' as 'huc', which it must be.]

Thank you Rick, helpful as always ...

And I guess you are perfectly right about "hue" and "huc". The digitalized version of the type description (attached as pdf, under my #1) is a bit indistinct and blurry! Also compare with the attached file (See enlarged excerpt).

In any case ... your translation will greatly advance, close to finish, my entry on Reinwardt!

PS. But I´m still curious of what I wrote in my way of conclusion of #1, Anyone feel up to explain?

... And finally: Does this text tell us anything else regarding Reinwardt in connection with "his" Toucanet? Is there anything added in the sentences surrounding those quotes or added on that final page, summing up the Prooemium? ...

Attachments

• Quote - Reinwardt.jpg
    Quote - Reinwardt.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 35
Ah. I've had a look at the fuller texts in your original posting. The clause beginning

quae obierunt in Sumatra et Java …

has nothing to do with Reinwardt. Your quotation, to make sense, should end at Reinwardtius.

There is no other information about Reinwardt in the pages you attach.

The account of 11. Pt. Reinwardtii is entirely a description of the bird, based on a specimen in the museum in Munich.

Sorry to be of no more help.

Ok, Rick,
You see my dilemma, not knowing the language I´m trying to quote!? It´s like picking apples blind-folded. A word here, part of a sentence there, just randomly spotting a name... But now I feel considerably safer, relying on your modest "imperfect" translation ... and will go for:
"... neque minus grato animo accipiamus, quae multos per annos in insulis Moluccis praestitit Reinwardtius"
meaning: " ... and it is with no less gratitude that we shall receive those objects obtained over many years by Reinwardt in the Molucca Islands"

and:
Magnopere hoc Museum auctum est operâ amici mei veneratissimi, Reinwardtii, qui multas et eximias res ex Insulis Moluccis huc misit; … "
as in: "This Museum is founded for the greater part on the efforts of my most esteemed friend, Reinwardt, who has sent many special objects to it from the Molucca Islands ..."

That will work excellent (even if I might choose just one of them, they both say about the same thing)! Remember that I, in my turn, intend to translate whatever text into Swedish, meaning that the intentions, the core and textual meaning are more important for me than any however meticulously accomplished literal English translation.

And if ... "There is no other information about Reinwardt in the pages you attach"... you´ve at the same time managed to answer my repeated, question; regarding his "connection with "his" Toucanet ?"!

So; nothing to be sorry about, you´ve been of immense help and solved the whole case. I surely can´t ask for more! This makes it possible for me to finish my entry on this man!

Reinwardt ... over and out!

To add: Reinwardt, Professor of Natural History in Amsterdam, went to Java in 1816, and sent his first material from eastern Java in October 1817 (but the load sunk), Also the second and third shipment of specimens all sunk. The first material that arrived was in 1820. Reinwardt also travelled to the Sunda Islands, Moluccas and Northern Celebes. He returned in October 1822 to Leiden.

Last edited:
Thanks, Justin!

Poor Reinwardt. Struggeling, collecting, for years, almost in vain ... luckily at least the 1820 ship managed to get ashore.

That is exactly the type of odd additional, curious facts, that I like!

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back