• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Renewal time (1 Viewer)

iraqbabbler

I'm in the market for a new pair of binoculars. I have a pair of Leica Ultravids 10x50, which have great optics of course, but which I've always found to be prone to getting foggy, dirty and scratchy. I've had them sent for warranty service a few times, even though use them sparingly.

I also have a pair of Nikon Monarchs 8x42, which are also fantastic for their price ... the optics are almost as good as the Leicas, and the durability is FAR superior. However, they're not as bright, and I really prefer the higher magnification.

So, now I am looking at buying another high-end pair. My priorities:
  • Durability.
  • Long warranty.
  • Ease of use.

Any recommendations?

You have an excellent 10X50, I have the same glass so re: 12X50, try the SV 12X50 or the NL 12X42. The Leica 12x50 is tight with eye relief. Or you could check out the latest Maven B6 in12X50 or the Toric 12.5, these are lower in price but they are performers.

The 3 main alpha brands now have a 10 year warranty in Europe, which I presume is the same for AustralAsia. Not quite sure why your optics are " dirty and scratchy " if you use them sparingly - is it rough and dusty terrain where you use them? Anyway, careful and correct cleaning should keep them in a reasonable state, especially the objective lenses.
To stay with your existing format I would echo Dennis' suggestion of Swarovski EL 10 x 50, as the latest ranges from Zeiss, Leica and Swarovski do not yet have a 50mm model. To assist you further, could I ask why you wish to continue with a 50 mm? The newer 42mm are good performers in low light conditions.

However, the best bit of advice I can offer is to go to a established retail outlet and physically try them all out before deciding, even if it requires a long journey to do so.

Edit: I've also seen you are also looking for a new spotting scope so I would further encourage you to visit an outlet to spend time testing out the various high end models..... a full day for binoculars, telescope and maybe even a new tripod system.

Good luck.

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies above. I'm willing to spend a decent amount. I am not constraining myself, because it's been a while since I got myself any decent equipment.

If you're after bright 10x that are durable don't rule out the Habicht 10x40 WGA just because they're an older design. If the eye-relief works for you and you don't mind putting in a few weeks usage to loosen the focus wheel they're a great binocular. 96% light transmission compared to the 91% of the NL Pure's and that wonderful 3D view you only get with Porros. Try as many options as you can.

The Ultravid 10x50 are still excellent for that format. The only binoculars I can think of that could top them would be the Zeiss Victory HT 10x54, and of course the Nikon WX 10x50.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back