• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

repair the binoculars diopter (5 Viewers)

shsohrab

Iran
Hello dear friends
My binoculars diopter is damaged and I do not know how to repair it
Can anyone help me with this?

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2021-09-11 at 13.12.03 (1).jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2021-09-11 at 13.12.03 (1).jpeg
    37.2 KB · Views: 26
  • WhatsApp Image 2021-09-11 at 13.12.03.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2021-09-11 at 13.12.03.jpeg
    28.3 KB · Views: 25
This appears to be a porro binocular? Does the eyepiece helical actually turn? The largish threaded section that holds the eyepiece? It appears that a substantial portion of the tube has been torn away. There should be (as it appears in the #1 pic three small setscrews that hold the eyepiece cover to the eyepiece helical to allow the 2 pieces to move as one. They should be 120 degrees apart. Back off the setscrews to the point they no longer protrude into the inner surface of the cover. Try adjusting the focus on the center focus, then set the eyecpiece cover over the eyepiece/helical then try tightening the 3 setscrews to the diopter helical section. They are small screws (likely brass) so do NOT overtighten!! If the sections of the tube that are torn away correspond to the area where the 3 setscrews normally clamp to the diopter helical, you are going to have to use the diopter cover offset from the correct position in order to find solid metal for the setscrews to come into contact and effect a firm seat. That means you will likely have to make your own diopter adjust marks since the ones that are silkscreened/printed in the side of the eyepiece cover are no longer in registration.
I should mention that if you put the cover over the helical, and tighten the screws and then try carefully turning the diopter adjust and it DOES NOT turn- STOP!!! The helical is seized and you have a larger problem!!!! Regards, Pat

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back