• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Replacing P900 and just got back from Best Buy Z50/RX-10 IV (1 Viewer)

Intercooler

I didn't even know about the Z50!

I have had my P900 for years now (2015 original pre-order). It's done some decent things, but technology has changed. I still want to have the video option and both of these fit the mold. The P900 didn't do bad on stills, but sucked at BIF and exposure was usually horrible. I always had to shoot it at ISO 100 and when you went way out on the reach quality suffered.

The Z50 with the lens bundle is attractive and it's a crop. Then again the RX10 IV has a dynamite focus system and gets you 600mm of reach. No idea yet which is better in low light with noise as ISO is jacked up. Any take on which of the two is better (the Z50 is APS-C sensor).

Difficult as you say the Sony has the reach but the Nikon will give better high iso results, here is one i did on the nikon for fun at 32,000 iso

Attachments

• DSC_0380jpeg.jpg
    DSC_0380jpeg.jpg
    224.3 KB · Views: 185
My general opinion is that bridge cameras are good for (a) a lighter weight compact system, or (b) reach in the 1600mm - 3000mm range, or (c) long reach at lower cost. Basically, if you need a smaller or compact system, bridge is a good option. Or if you really need the reach, a superzoom can give better results than heavy cropping under good lighting. But if you're shooting in the focal range of APS-C or FF, they will give better technical quality and usually have better handling, assuming you practice and use them correctly.

Micro 4/3 is another option that tries to hit a sweet spot in the middle. but, for a good birding camera (EM-1ii + 100-400 or 300/4), you will still be laying out a bit of cash. it is the best value for weight to reach with better quality than bridge.

That's a big generalization and there will be all sorts of exceptions, but that's my opinion on it.

As i say i intend to use longer lenses than 250mm, as i am stuck at the moment with 250mm i decided to do some daft tests, this magpie in flight was taken at 250mm then cropped, it gives you an idea of what is left after heavy cropping.

It looks worse because i hab somehow switched vignetting control orff on the camera.

Attachments

• DSC_1163.jpg
    DSC_1163.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 129
  • DSC_1163c.jpg
    DSC_1163c.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 154
I have the Sigma 100-400 just waiting for the adapter to come, this will give me 200-600 reach.

150? - 600 reach.

That at least gives the Sony RX-10 IV somewhat of a competitor with a few plus/minuses either way for similar coin/weight/size ..... :cat:

Chosun :gh:

My general opinion is that bridge cameras are good for (a) a lighter weight compact system, or (b) reach in the 1600mm - 3000mm range, or (c) long reach at lower cost. Basically, if you need a smaller or compact system, bridge is a good option. Or if you really need the reach, a superzoom can give better results than heavy cropping under good lighting. But if you're shooting in the focal range of APS-C or FF, they will give better technical quality and usually have better handling, assuming you practice and use them correctly.

Micro 4/3 is another option that tries to hit a sweet spot in the middle. but, for a good birding camera (EM-1ii + 100-400 or 300/4), you will still be laying out a bit of cash. it is the best value for weight to reach with better quality than bridge.

That's a big generalization and there will be all sorts of exceptions, but that's my opinion on it.

Nikon Z50 + Nikon PF 500 f5.6 would be an interesting (if pricey due to the lens) lightweight combination ...... :cat:

~2kg weight, 750mm eq f5.6 :t:

Chosun :gh:

I placed the order last night on the B&H Black Friday deal:https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/sear...with 16-50mm and 50-250mm Lenses&sts=pi&pim=Y

You can get the FTZ adapter for $96.00 bundled in with the two lenses. It seems the reviews on the lenses are very good, so might as well and use one of them for my walk-around.

In reading you can set up for back button focus and assign some controls. It should be a huge step up in VF and focusing over the P900 and be able to see how your exposure looks in real-time on the display.

My Wildlife/Birding setup has been the D500/150-600 and I think a nice 400mm on here will cover most of the needs and be really cool for my truck setup. I like to keep the P900 in there locked up for anything I run across while out and about.

If they make any firmware changes it should make it even better on down the road.

It's looking good so far. I'm trying to figure out whether it's what I want at this point.

It paired nicely with the AF-P 70-300 and FTZ adapter. I used both kit lenses and the photos looked pretty nice there as well. Tomorrow the plan is to run it with the 70-300 and my 150-600 to see how I like it. Without a 600mm lens on it at all times I'm wondering if I will like it as much as the Sony RX-10 IV

Identity crisis now that I have it in my hands using it. I'm going to be really using the Z50 a ton today with four different lenses.

I have the AF-P 70-300 on there now and will move later to the Sigma 150-600 to see how it does with that. I'm debating if the Sony would be the better option having it all in one body??? With the larger and better sensor of the Z50 I see it giving the better photos and possibly video. I wanted it to be a smaller version than my D500/150-600 rig that I mainly use for birding, knowing it's not the greatest setup for video. Slapping a 400mm lens on the Z50 gives me the same 600mm reach and still keeps the size down... decisions!!!

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back