• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Reply from RSPB reserve Gweffrwd and Dinas in Wales to my enquiry about that reserve (1 Viewer)

The above is my enquiry to the Gwenffrwd and Dinas reserve in Wales and the reply to me. I was more curious about this for many years and still confused a lot about this.
Ian.

That’s a good response to your inquiry Ian. It seems clear to me from the letter that the RSPB don’t have the staff to manage that part of the site and it would cost money to repair the walkways etc which currently pose a risk to the public. It sounds that visitor numbers are too low to make it a sustainable investment. The good news is it sounds as if wildlife is thriving in that comparatively quiet part of the reserve!

Boardwalks can cost 10's of thousands to replace (depends on how long they are of course). One good option would be to have got grant funding (not sure if RSPB can apply for mind), but if in an area without much public use, harder to meet criteria and thus get funding.

I had a similar reply about Havergate Island as well about 2 years ago from the reserve staff of that reserve. Because I've been a member of the RSPB since 1973, i had noticed the days of sailings to Havergate Island much less frequent compared to when i first joined the RSPB back in 1973 in that i can remember when Havergate Island was open to visitors 4 days every week. But for years up to the present time, Havergate Island is now only open the first Saturday of every month although occasionly Havergate Island is open on other dates as well in some month’s and it was the same reason as the reply i received about the Gwenffwd and Dinas reserve, in that there are far less staff per reserve in Suffolk compared to when i first joined the RSPB in 1973.
Ian.

Last edited:
Boardwalks can cost 10's of thousands to replace (depends on how long they are of course). One good option would be to have got grant funding (not sure if RSPB can apply for mind), but if in an area without much public use, harder to meet criteria and thus get funding.
I thought they had an army of unpaid volunteers who at least provide the labour and I'm sure there must be enough tree fall material across all RSPB reserves, from which to source the wood?

I thought they had an army of unpaid volunteers who at least provide the labour and I'm sure there must be enough tree fall material across all RSPB reserves, from which to source the wood?
The problem is most RSPB volunteers are already in key roles - it’s not just a case of turn up and help these days. Volunteers have to be interviewed, in the minimum a DBS check (Disclosures and Barring Service), trained, properly supervised and managed. This requires at least one trained member of staff who is already in a key designated role. Add to that, managing a reserve solely for wildlife use just with the Warden having access does not require the same level of health and safety management of the environment that you would need to make it legally safe for a volunteer workforce and public access. In woodland habitat, this would require intense tree safety management for example. Since a large part of the RSPB’s reserve management funding comes from public visitors, if the reserve has low visitor rates it’s not really a sustainable business management plan to invest resources where there would be little or no return on expenditure. After all, while run as a business, the RSBB is still a charity and has a constant uphill battle with funding. It seems a matter of priority to me, managing reserve habitat for wildlife or managing it for visitors if there is not enough resources to do both.

The problem is most RSPB volunteers are already in key roles - it’s not just a case of turn up and help these days. Volunteers have to be interviewed, in the minimum a DBS check (Disclosures and Barring Service), trained, properly supervised and managed. This requires at least one trained member of staff who is already in a key designated role. Add to that, managing a reserve solely for wildlife use just with the Warden having access does not require the same level of health and safety management of the environment that you would need to make it legally safe for a volunteer workforce and public access. In woodland habitat, this would require intense tree safety management for example. Since a large part of the RSPB’s reserve management funding comes from public visitors, if the reserve has low visitor rates it’s not really a sustainable business management plan to invest resources where there would be little or no return on expenditure. After all, while run as a business, the RSBB is still a charity and has a constant uphill battle with funding. It seems a matter of priority to me, managing reserve habitat for wildlife or managing it for visitors if there is not enough resources to do both.
They always seem to find money to aquire new land though?

I also remember the considerable discussion, generated by the then, CEO, ( a woman who had been in banking, I forget her name) receiving a six figure salary and that was about 20 years ago. I've always been uncomfortable with 'charities', doling out such salaries.

I also remember the considerable discussion, generated by the then, CEO, ( a woman who had been in banking, I forget her name) receiving a six figure salary and that was about 20 years ago. I've always been uncomfortable with 'charities', doling out such salaries.
Em, isn't that because saving land of conservation value from developers/others is one of the highest priorities of all? Once it's saved it's true that there may be not much money in the pot for other things.

With regard to wages, yes, and agree throughout the land ... fat cat CEOs get paid far more than their PAs who sometimes would do a better job in many respects. But in the conservation/charity sectors you do still have to pay for someone who can do the job in a competitive market.

Don’t forget, they are not necessarily cash purchases (land is often purchased by the RSPB then leased back to the seller while the RSPB take on the management- they only own just over half the land they manage). Also, charitable donations are often (legally) ear-marked for specific purposes so a fundraising effort to purchase land can only be spent on that purpose - focussed fundraising drives always attract larger amounts of one off donations. Land is also left in legacies and much of the RSPB’s land aquisition is made possible by a substantial funding agreement or even a peppercorn amount in a management agreement.

The acquisition of land by the RSPB is actually quite complicated, often tied up in trusts and management agreements which make it possible. It’s not simply a case of digging into the RSPB bank account and drawing out a few million pounds to buy a reserve.

Don’t forget, they are not necessarily cash purchases (land is often purchased by the RSPB then leased back to the seller while the RSPB take on the management- they only own just over half the land they manage). Also, charitable donations are often (legally) ear-marked for specific purposes so a fundraising effort to purchase land can only be spent on that purpose - focussed fundraising drives always attract larger amounts of one off donations. Land is also left in legacies and much of the RSPB’s land aquisition is made possible by a substantial funding agreement or even a peppercorn amount in a management agreement.

The acquisition of land by the RSPB is actually quite complicated, often tied up in trusts and management agreements which make it possible. It’s not simply a case of digging into the RSPB bank account and drawing out a few million pounds to buy a reserve.
Interesting, thanks Deb.

Thanks for all the information from those that have posted in this thread. I just sent the email out of curiosity as noticed various changes over many years of being an RSPB member. It’s very interesting hearing from all the information above. 🙂🙂🙂🙂🙂
Ian.

Some interesting points. One that isn't overly clear, but touched on, is that wildlife is thriving is certain areas of the reserve, multiply this across a number of reserves and the main point is that.

The risk of being sued if someone breaks an ankle on a poor pathway, the lack of wardens to manage a reserve which becomes more policing means that it is easier and more beneficial to close off areas. Policing because people run riot, ignore signs, get too close to wildlife, let their dogs run off the lead and generally act like they own the place!

As I said the benefit is you can 'control' the fewer number of visitors in a safe space and still get to see the majority of the birds but behind the scenes birds like the rails and the crakes for two small examples can start to get a foothold undisturbed....

Thanks for all the information from those that have posted in this thread. I just sent the email out of curiosity as noticed various changes over many years of being an RSPB member. It’s very interesting hearing from all the information above. 🙂🙂🙂🙂🙂
Ian.
I was a frequent visitor to both Dinas & Gwenffrwd many years ago and they were great places . I am not sure when, but it must have been in the eighties and when I attempted to visit Gwenffrwd I was told by an RSPB guy that this was no longer possible because there was an access dispute/problem with a local landowner?? Sadly I have not been there since.

regards
Merlin

I was a frequent visitor to both Dinas & Gwenffrwd many years ago and they were great places . I am not sure when, but it must have been in the eighties and when I attempted to visit Gwenffrwd I was told by an RSPB guy that this was no longer possible because there was an access dispute/problem with a local landowner?? Sadly I have not been there since.

regards
Merlin
Thanks for that information. 😊😊😊😊😊
Ian.

Thanks for that information. 😊😊😊😊😊
Ian.
There was a resident warden at the reserve up to the late 1990’s who lived in the Gwenffrwd Valley from where the walks around the Gwenffrwd section of the reserve started. Certainly in the mid 1980’s it was possible to walk around the Gwenffrwd section. Normally at that time we would do a walk around the Gwenffrwd in the morning and then visit the Dinas in the afternoon.
I would certainly recommend a visit to the Dinas particularly if you can time it when the Bluebells are in full bloom, an incredible sight. I would also recommend taking the minor road from Pumsaint (situated on the A482, near the site of the Dolaucothi Roman Gold Mine) up the Upper Cothi Valley and then down the Gwenffrwd Valley, if you visit the Dinas.
Unfortunately the cynic in me sees the closure of the Gwenffrwd section of the reserve as a reflection of the RSPB’s efforts in Wales. Indeed I ceased to be a member of the Society some years ago because of this.

There was a resident warden at the reserve up to the late 1990’s who lived in the Gwenffrwd Valley from where the walks around the Gwenffrwd section of the reserve started. Certainly in the mid 1980’s it was possible to walk around the Gwenffrwd section. Normally at that time we would do a walk around the Gwenffrwd in the morning and then visit the Dinas in the afternoon.
I would certainly recommend a visit to the Dinas particularly if you can time it when the Bluebells are in full bloom, an incredible sight. I would also recommend taking the minor road from Pumsaint (situated on the A482, near the site of the Dolaucothi Roman Gold Mine) up the Upper Cothi Valley and then down the Gwenffrwd Valley, if you visit the Dinas.
Unfortunately the cynic in me sees the closure of the Gwenffrwd section of the reserve as a reflection of the RSPB’s efforts in Wales. Indeed I ceased to be a member of the Society some years ago because of this.
I wonder why the above happened, as has happened in a similar way at Havergate Island in Suffolk, although Havergate Islsnd still open on 1 Saturday every month and occasionally open on other days. But the same reason given was less staff. Is the reason finance and are the RSPB getting less money such as membership, less donations coming in. I don’t know much about the finance within the RSPB. Although i do know there have been redundancies that have happened sadly within the RSPB in recent years. But the situation with these 2 RSPB reserves happened many years before all the cuts generally in the UK since 2010 and not just the RSPB. These changes happened many years ago. Possibly in the 1990’s possibly earlier. I noticed these changes on reading about visiting these 2 RSPB reserves many years ago and just started thinking about this 2 years ago and just emailed that reserve in Wales earlier this week and emailed Havergate Island as well 2 year ago. So where the RSPB having financial problems within the 1980’s and 1990’s I'm just curious as I'm not an expert in finance or where there other reasons that the RSPB had in that period on why less staff where used at those 2 reserves since 1990 or earlier that I've mentioned?
Ian

Last edited:
Ian, with respect to Havergate Island I wonder if part of the reason for reduced access is down to reduced demand from birders due to the expansion of range of avocets?
I visited Havergate as part of an organised birding holiday as a teenager in the '70s. I remember it as a delightful boat trip from Aldeburgh on a beautiful summer's day; however, the only reason we were there was that was the only place at the time to see breeding avocets - I think there may have been a few pairs at Minsmere, but Havergate was the place to go to experience avocets. Now of course avocets are available even up here in NE England, there isn't the same visitor demand, and the island can be left undisturbed.

As is hinted at at the end of their reply, there is still limited public access to that area on a footpath through the forest and a track that leads over the mountain, both of which are public right of way. You do need to to be physically up to the slightly more periIous parts, but it's nothing too difficult. Most summers I try to get out there and spend a week or two in that area and I always walk this route in a loop from the campsite nearest Dinas - it makes a nice hike.

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back