• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Req ID on possible Dark-Eyed Junco (Oregon x pink-sided) in Quispamsis, New Brunswick (1 Viewer)

Juncoed

Canada
This bird showed in my yard in Quispamsis, New Brunswick. It bears resemblance (to me) to online photos of a Dark-Eyed Junco (Oregon x pink-sided).
Requesting opinions :)

Attachments

• 2021-02-20 Dark-eyed Junco (Oregon x Pink-sided) 2.jpg
    2021-02-20 Dark-eyed Junco (Oregon x Pink-sided) 2.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 16
  • 2021-02-20 Dark-eyed Junco (Oregon x Pink-sided).jpg
    2021-02-20 Dark-eyed Junco (Oregon x Pink-sided).jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 16
I think it's an immature bird - notice how the dark hood does not extend to the nape. I'm no expert in Oregon or Pink-sided, but it doesn't look like a normal adult of either of those to me, and I don't see why a hybrid would have that incomplete hood either.

If it's an immature bird, the question becomes, is there anything here to say it's not a Slaty? Can't say I've seen one quite like this before, but maybe somebody more expert will give it a look.

This looks fine for a pure Oregon Junco to me. Definitely doesn't have any pink sided in it, and I don't see anything that points to cis here.

This looks fine for a pure Oregon Junco to me. Definitely doesn't have any pink sided in it, and I don't see anything that points to cis here.
Thank you - I appreciate the ID. We don't get to see these very often this far east and therefore have little reference.

Thank you - I appreciate the ID. We don't get to see these very often this far east and therefore have little reference.
No problem. This is one of the Northern subspecies in the Oregon group, probably oregonus from up in Alaska due to the very bright back. Contrary to belief, pink-sided are pretty dull, and their flanks aren't that bright. Attached below is a poor image of a Pink-sided I had a week ago next to an Oregon for comparison.

No problem. This is one of the Northern subspecies in the Oregon group, probably oregonus from up in Alaska due to the very bright back. Contrary to belief, pink-sided are pretty dull, and their flanks aren't that bright. Attached below is a poor image of a Pink-sided I had a week ago next to an Oregon for comparison.

Thank you again - very informative !

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back