• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS. Discover the fascinating world of birds, and win a birding trip to Columbia

request advice in using spotting scope in bird hides (1 Viewer)

Earnest lad

Dear colleagues
As a newbie to spotting scopes (having recently obtained my first one) I would like to ask for thoughts frrom anyone concering the above. I appreciate some people feel a tripod can be too cumbersome in a hide - indeed in some hides maybe they are not practicable. Please may I enquire is a monopod better or some other device to facilitate effective and efficient use of a scope in a bird hide?

PYRTLE

Old Berkshire Boy
A universal hide clamp* is probably a better option than a monopod, dependant on whether the centre column of your tripod is removable. Tripods can usually be used at the rear of a hide, even if it is a tad snug with occupants.
* Velbon / Opticron / Manfrotto retail them.

Last edited:

delia todd

If I said the wrong thing it was a Senior Moment
Staff member
Opus Editor
Supporter
Scotland
I always use a hide clamp in a hide - I got mine years ago at an In Focus shop (think it was at Martin Mere).

It was reasonably priced too.

Steve Lister

Senior Birder, ex County Recorder, Garden Moths.
United Kingdom
I use my tripod with one leg largely not extended and resting on the seat between my legs and the other two on the floor. It works Ok for me being tall but shorter people can't do it without having their scopes rotated to make the angled eyepiece horizontal. It would work better for short people if they had straight as opposed to angled scopes.
Any use of a scope in a hide depends upon either the hide being very sturdily built or else everyone keeping very still.

Earnest lad

Thank you to all contributors here. The suggestions are food for thought indeed. I am grateful to benefit from the practical experiences of others in this way.

ZEISS. Discover the fascinating world of birds, and win a birding trip to Columbia
ZEISS. Discover the fascinating world of birds, and win a birding trip to Colombia
ZEISS. Discover the fascinating world of birds, and win a birding trip to Colombia

Users who are viewing this thread