• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Request advice on Nikon Fieldscope (1 Viewer)

Earnest lad

I have never owned a scope in many years of birding. Recently I visited a local reserve and a kind birder had an old Nikon Fieldscope with a 20x eyepiece. He let me look through it and I was very impressed by the quality of the vision (very sharp) He said he had had this telescope twenty years. After I commented on how impressed I was he remarked that one can easily get hold of second hand like his eg on ebay for about £200 gbp. Indeed when I subsequently looked on ebay I did notice quite a few on sale for round about that price and sometimes even cheaper.
Please may I enquire : would such a scope be good value. I notice there are a variety of specifications for scopes all called "Nikon Fieldscope" and I am somewhat overwhelmed as I dont know the first thing about telescopes. How would I know I was getting a good one?

I have never owned a scope in many years of birding. Recently I visited a local reserve and a kind birder had an old Nikon Fieldscope with a 20x eyepiece. He let me look through it and I was very impressed by the quality of the vision (very sharp) He said he had had this telescope twenty years. After I commented on how impressed I was he remarked that one can easily get hold of second hand like his eg on ebay for about £200 gbp. Indeed when I subsequently looked on ebay I did notice quite a few on sale for round about that price and sometimes even cheaper.
Please may I enquire : would such a scope be good value. I notice there are a variety of specifications for scopes all called "Nikon Fieldscope" and I am somewhat overwhelmed as I dont know the first thing about telescopes. How would I know I was getting a good one?
Hi Earnest Lad. It sounds like this could be one of the first Nikon Fieldscope 1 models. Was it a straight eyepiece rather than angled? I don't know whether you noticed whether it had a red ring around the objective lens hood, this would signify the better ED glass.

I have one of the above, bought many years ago on eBay, they are fantastic little scopes and very well made. Note that the x15 and x20 eyepieces are worth having but anything beyond that the field of view and eye relief is poor so not much use for extended viewing.

Note the Fieldscope 1 is not waterproof and the eyepieces very hard to come by and often at highly inflated prices, particularly from Japan.

Having said that, if you can get hold of a good Fieldscope 1 with a x15 or x20 eyepiece for a decent price, then it may be worth having. I certainly would not pay anymore than £200 and I would really be wanting more towards the £100 end if possible. Much depends on condition and accessories. I have seen these for sale with the original case, boxes and instructions before.

Of course, there is also the Fieldscope 2 and 3 to consider! I think I am right in saying that the Fieldscope 2 isn't waterproof but the Fieldscope 3 is. Best thing about these scopes would be improved glass coatings and mainly, better quality eyepieces including zoom lens and wide angle lens (although note the field of view isn't one of the let downs on the zoom lens).

If you can stump up the extra cash a Fieldscope 3 would be the better option in my option, ideally one with ED glass. I have seen these on eBay for £200-£350, often with a couple of eyepieces with stay on case.

The only way to know whether you are getting a good scope is to go and try it out. You might find Nikon scopes on the website of reputable outlets.

Note I bought a range of eyepieces for my Fieldscope 1 for only £20 each at Focus Optics in Coventry only a couple of years ago. They might have a Fieldscope 1 stored away. They told me it was obsolete stock.

As I said, I still rate the Fieldscope 1 and cannot bare to part with mine, its over 30 years old but the view it provides is still very good.

Hope this helps.

Nikon haven't made a bad telescope in my opinion; the fieldscope series in particular still holds its own with the latest and greatest.
I'd advise caution on those listed online under "fieldscope", as this can be used as a catchall term, rather than relating to a particular series (e.g. the RA series and the Prostaff series - both competent performers, but not in the same league as the fieldscopes).
The true fieldscope series contained three iterations, all of which were 50mm/60mm/78mm/82mm either with standard or ED glass. Series one were only available in straight, whilst series two and three offered both angled and straight models.
I've not personally looked through a series one, but understand that it does not have good quality coatings, so probably not worth the money. Series two are very competent performers, particularly when used with newer eyepieces (DS/MC), whilst series three are the very best.
You should be able to pick up a clean 60mm EDii for between £150 - £250 with a lens, whilst a 60mm EDiii would be between £350 - £650 depending on lens/condition. Expect to pay more for the larger objective lens models, and a bit less for the standard glass versions.
Hope this helps, good luck with your search!

Hi Earnest Lad. It sounds like this could be one of the first Nikon Fieldscope 1 models. Was it a straight eyepiece rather than angled? I don't know whether you noticed whether it had a red ring around the objective lens hood, this would signify the better ED glass.

I have one of the above, bought many years ago on eBay, they are fantastic little scopes and very well made. Note that the x15 and x20 eyepieces are worth having but anything beyond that the field of view and eye relief is poor so not much use for extended viewing.

Note the Fieldscope 1 is not waterproof and the eyepieces very hard to come by and often at highly inflated prices, particularly from Japan.

Having said that, if you can get hold of a good Fieldscope 1 with a x15 or x20 eyepiece for a decent price, then it may be worth having. I certainly would not pay anymore than £200 and I would really be wanting more towards the £100 end if possible. Much depends on condition and accessories. I have seen these for sale with the original case, boxes and instructions before.

Of course, there is also the Fieldscope 2 and 3 to consider! I think I am right in saying that the Fieldscope 2 isn't waterproof but the Fieldscope 3 is. Best thing about these scopes would be improved glass coatings and mainly, better quality eyepieces including zoom lens and wide angle lens (although note the field of view isn't one of the let downs on the zoom lens).

If you can stump up the extra cash a Fieldscope 3 would be the better option in my option, ideally one with ED glass. I have seen these on eBay for £200-£350, often with a couple of eyepieces with stay on case.

The only way to know whether you are getting a good scope is to go and try it out. You might find Nikon scopes on the website of reputable outlets.

Note I bought a range of eyepieces for my Fieldscope 1 for only £20 each at Focus Optics in Coventry only a couple of years ago. They might have a Fieldscope 1 stored away. They told me it was obsolete stock.

As I said, I still rate the Fieldscope 1 and cannot bare to part with mine, its over 30 years old but the view it provides is still very good.

Hope this helps.
Hi Ivydwg, Thank you for taking the effort of your kind and informative reply. To be honest I didnt look close enough to see if was straight or angled, or had the mark of ED glass. I have the mind to check out the Coventry outlet tomorrow. I have been looking on ebay and to be honest when I see the adverts I cannot always tell whether the one they are selling is v1, v2 or v3.

Nikon haven't made a bad telescope in my opinion; the fieldscope series in particular still holds its own with the latest and greatest.
I'd advise caution on those listed online under "fieldscope", as this can be used as a catchall term, rather than relating to a particular series (e.g. the RA series and the Prostaff series - both competent performers, but not in the same league as the fieldscopes).
The true fieldscope series contained three iterations, all of which were 50mm/60mm/78mm/82mm either with standard or ED glass. Series one were only available in straight, whilst series two and three offered both angled and straight models.
I've not personally looked through a series one, but understand that it does not have good quality coatings, so probably not worth the money. Series two are very competent performers, particularly when used with newer eyepieces (DS/MC), whilst series three are the very best.
You should be able to pick up a clean 60mm EDii for between £150 - £250 with a lens, whilst a 60mm EDiii would be between £350 - £650 depending on lens/condition. Expect to pay more for the larger objective lens models, and a bit less for the standard glass versions.
Hope this helps, good luck with your search!
Thank you for your reply which is very helpful - I did see some advertised on ebay as "prostaff" so I shall avoid these. I didnt see any "RA" brand though. As a complete novice with telescopes the terminology is outside my present understanding . For example I saw some advertised as D=60. Please may I enquire what that actually means. I also saw the letter "P" a few times but I dont know what that means either. As I mentioned above when I look at adverts of these I cannot always tell if I am looking at a Fieldsope 1, Fieldscope 2 or Fieldscope 3. Is there any way to tell which one it is please?

As I mentioned above when I look at adverts of these I cannot always tell if I am looking at a Fieldsope 1, Fieldscope 2 or Fieldscope 3. Is there any way to tell which one it is please?

Hi,

for II and III, just look at the images posted by Daniel - II is black at the top eyepiece end, III is black at the whole eyepiece end with a little dimple where the lettering is. Mk I is completely cream colored at the eyepiece end like this:

Joachim

Hi,

for II and III, just look at the images posted by Daniel - II is black at the top eyepiece end, III is black at the whole eyepiece end with a little dimple where the lettering is. Mk I is completely cream colored at the eyepiece end like this:

Joachim
Exactly, also MkI and Mk II have the tripod foot behind the focusing wheel, whereas in the MkIII it is located in front. A red ring around the objective end denotes an ED model, and only Mk III have an extending lens hood.

Exactly, also MkI and Mk II have the tripod foot behind the focusing wheel, whereas in the MkIII it is located in front. A red ring around the objective end denotes an ED model, and only Mk III have an extending lens hood.
Thank you so much. I have had a look on ebay and been able to observe the positioning of the tripod foot on the 3 iterations. Also as regards the absence or otherwise of the red ring around the objective end has also duly been clocked by myself, which is of much help going forward !

Hi,

Joachim
Many thanks. In regard to the three iterations and being able to recognise each one: I am now competent to do so thanks to yourself following my inspection of scopes presently on sale on ebay!

Also if I may please enquire (sorry for being persistent) . I have never done digiscoping but am contemplating dipping my toe in the water so to speak. My curiosity is as to whether the Nikon Fieldscopes are good for getting good digiscoped images. I do have a DSLR D7100 Nikon also I have a phone camera too. Is there anything I would need to know with digiscoping in mind before taking the plunge and choosing a scope please?

Here is a Nikon FS II with a x20 and x40 eyepiece. Looks to be in good condition although no photos of glass. £200, not bad might be able to get cheaper.

And a Nikon FS 1 with a x20 eyepiece. It's a bit battered but the glass looks OK. I wouldn't pay £155 for it though. It's been on a while, reckon it's too expensive

Hi,

the ED II with two EPs is quite good for 200 quid. It should be noted that the two EPs are not the (very sought after) wide angle MC versions but the older normal ones.

I would avoid the Mk I due to being too expensive and it's even more tricky to get more EPs for.

Joachim

Here is a Nikon FS II with a x20 and x40 eyepiece. Looks to be in good condition although no photos of glass. £200, not bad might be able to get cheaper.

And a Nikon FS 1 with a x20 eyepiece. It's a bit battered but the glass looks OK. I wouldn't pay £155 for it though. It's been on a while, reckon it's too expensive

Thank you so much. I just put in a couple of offers on the FS2 (both refused) but I am still able to bid on it. As for the FS1 : I think I will give it some more thought :)

Thank you so much. I just put in a couple of offers on the FS2 (both refused) but I am still able to bid on it. As for the FS1 : I think I will give it some more thought :)
I have the FS 1 and the Nikon ED82. Whilst the ED82 is obviously better given the larger objective and more modern coatings, I have to say the FS1 still holds its ground well. I have found the FS1 less useful in dull conditions but otherwise the image is sharp and bright. In comparison to what that FS2 is selling for on eBay the FS1 is certainly over priced.

If you want to go down the digiscoping route with a phone you really need the DS eyepieces which are not compatible with the FS1.

This will fit the FS1 and is a DSLR adapter but I have not idea how well it works. The correct ring adapter will also be needed.

I have heard that larger objective scopes are better for digiscoping which makes sense. I have both a phone attachment and Nikon adapter and camera for my ED82 but not had much chance to try it out ....

Hi,

the ED II with two EPs is quite good for 200 quid. It should be noted that the two EPs are not the (very sought after) wide angle MC versions but the older normal ones.

I would avoid the Mk I due to being too expensive and it's even more tricky to get more EPs for.

Joachim
Agree at £155 the FS1 in its condition is way over priced. Might be worth a punt at £75 though.

I have all the eyepieces for the FS1 and the only ones worth bothering with are the x15 and x20 IMO.

Agree at £155 the FS1 in its condition is way over priced. Might be worth a punt at £75 though.

I have all the eyepieces for the FS1 and the only ones worth bothering with are the x15 and x20 IMO.
Thank you so much. I just put in a £75 offer on the FS1 but it was an auto refusal. I will have another think about this LOL

Thank you so much. I just put in a £75 offer on the FS1 but it was an auto refusal. I will have another think about this LOL
Bide your time, it's been on a while! Even though I still rate the FS1 if you can stump up the extra cash then a FS2 or more ideally the FS3 would be a better long term investment.

Or see if you can get the FS1 dirt cheap!

Bide your time, it's been on a while! Even though I still rate the FS1 if you can stump up the extra cash then a FS2 or more ideally the FS3 would be a better long term investment.

Or see if you can get the FS1 dirt cheap!
I will bide my time thank you. I appreciate your kind interest. I shall keep my eye on these scopes over the next few days LOL

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back