• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

request advice re: warbler sp , Durankulak, Bulgaria Sept 2019 (1 Viewer)

Earnest lad

I have posted this bird once before but I would like to enquire again if possible please: I apologize for the poor quality photos.
I see that it is a phylloscopus (I think) but cannot work out which are the possible candidates. Perhaps by process of elimination it can be identified.
I see the legs are pale, which rules out Chiffchaff. The ear coverts seem to have the "hollow" appearance said to be a feature of Willow Warbler.
There seems to a wing-bar. Mind you it could be an artifact I suppose.
There seems also to be a lower mandible pale with upper mandible darker. Having said that , I guess that could be an illusion too.
I would be grateful for any thoughts please. My thoughts would be as regards most likely species (a) willow warbler (although I don't know if that is a common bird in that region that time of year)
(b) Wood warbler (although I am not knowledgeable about wood warblers) (c) some other species. Please does anyone have any thoughts as to possibilities

Attachments

• File 355.JPG
    File 355.JPG
    458.2 KB · Views: 37
  • File 356.JPG
    File 356.JPG
    379 KB · Views: 38
Could you give the link to the previous posting so that we can see what has been said about it already? Thanks.
Of course:

Hello Earnest,
I agree with you its either a Chiffchaff, a Willlow or a Wood Warbler. And I agree with Jean Francois, it look like a Willow Warbler.
I dont see any wingbar, just paler,uniform greater coverts contrasting with darker wings. More, greenish/yellowish primaries (? hard to judge due to overexposure) form some kind of a panel. This is present in some Phylloscopus, and most appearent in many Bonellis Warbler.
Adding to the the features, you have mentioned allready, its quite rare (at least) for a Chiffchaff in autumn to lack any eye-ring like your bird (there is a slight lower one, good for Willow).
Yes, pp is very difficult to judge, but I think it is rather long, at least 50% so just within variation for the longest winged Chiffchaff, but better for a Willow Warbler.
The hollow ear-coverts seems to present, but are exagerrated by the overexposure. This is also the reason for the whitish parts in the supercilium and ear-coverts, burned out parts.

Hello Earnest,
I agree with you its either a Chiffchaff, a Willlow or a Wood Warbler. And I agree with Jean Francois, it look like a Willow Warbler.
I dont see any wingbar, just paler,uniform greater coverts contrasting with darker wings. More, greenish/yellowish primaries (? hard to judge due to overexposure) form some kind of a panel. This is present in some Phylloscopus, and most appearent in many Bonellis Warbler.
Adding to the the features, you have mentioned allready, its quite rare (at least) for a Chiffchaff in autumn to lack any eye-ring like your bird (there is a slight lower one, good for Willow).
Yes, pp is very difficult to judge, but I think it is rather long, at least 50% so just within variation for the longest winged Chiffchaff, but better for a Willow Warbler.
The hollow ear-coverts seems to present, but are exagerrated by the overexposure. This is also the reason for the whitish parts in the supercilium and ear-coverts, burned out parts.
Thank you so much Alexander. Although not overly knowledgeable about these things, I did consider the possibility of Bonelli's given the greenish primaries and the somewhat "stocky" appearance (the latter seems to fit more Bonelli's then Willow Warbler which, one reads, is of longer body) . I have never seen a Bonelli's Warbler but looking at images on google, my bird seems too green in overall colour. It wouldve been great to have it as Bonelli's Warbler but on this occasion, I think I will put it down as unidentified with the most likely candidate being Willow Warbler

Hello Earnest,
sorry, than my post came out the wrong way: for me, its a Willow Warbler, that can be identified with confidence. Chiffchaff, Bonellis Warbler (EBW here, I assume) and Wood Warbler can be ruled out.
But: please wait, its still early in the morning (at least in Germany). Better wait for others to jump in.

Hello Earnest,
sorry, than my post came out the wrong way: for me, its a Willow Warbler, that can be identified with confidence. Chiffchaff, Bonellis Warbler (EBW here, I assume) and Wood Warbler can be ruled out.
But: please wait, its still early in the morning (at least in Germany). Better wait for others to jump in.
LOL I do appreciate the clarification. I am putting down as Willow Warbler because the points you made make sense to me. Thank you

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back