• BirdForum is the net's largest birding community dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE!

Register for an account to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Request for thoughts-remedies for a "reflection" in a digital image (1 Viewer)

sbarnhardt

Traveling man
Opus Editor
Supporter
United States
The camera used in the pictures discussed below was a Nikon CoolPix L820. No filters, etc in front of the lens.

I just this morning was out taking a series of pictures for potential use in a project I'm working on. I found after I got home and transferred the images to my computer, I had an issue with some of them. The issue is what seems to be a "reflection" and/or "light spot" in some of them. These spots are present on shots where I was "shooting in the direction of the sun" to some degree. The more "in the direction" the more prominent the anomaly. It was not present in the ones where I was not pointed in the direction of the sun, or the sunlight was not as bright. I seem to remember from my "olden days" of photography with an SLR, this was something described as a mirror reflection, or a term similar. But I don't remember what was used to help overcome that. Obviously not shooting in the direction of the sun would work, but that's not always possible. Is a filter of some sort what is needed, and if so which one? I also seem to remember a "shade" was what I had on my old OM10 lens. I would appreciate any thoughts and/or suggestions on what to do with this you might have. Examples will be attached to this.

Attachments

• reflection issue 1.jpg
    reflection issue 1.jpg
    361.6 KB · Views: 26
  • reflection issue 2.jpg
    reflection issue 2.jpg
    483 KB · Views: 26
  • reflection issue 3.jpg
    reflection issue 3.jpg
    368.4 KB · Views: 28

sbarnhardt

Traveling man
Opus Editor
Supporter
United States
In looking at this further, what I'm trying to say above may be lens flare, which the article I just found mentions using a lens shade to mitigate.

However, I'm still interested in hearing "your" own solutions and/or suggestions!

Mono

Hi!
Staff member
Supporter
Europe
It is lens flare, the light bouncing around off the various elements of the lens. A shade will help, but it can add to the image, there are plenty of photo editing tools to add artificial lens flare!

Users who are viewing this thread