• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Result after cleaning binoculars: normal or not normal? (1 Viewer)

Guilhem37

Hi, unless the lenses are water repellent, I always have this terrible result after cleaning my lenses (see photo attached).

I use brush and then professional liquid applied on a microfiber cloth. Do you have the same result?

It looks like all stains and smears are gone but the liquid leaves a mark after evaporating.
I have no idea if it degrades the image quality.

I tried different ways: liquid straight on the lenses, liquid on the cloth, small quantity, big quantity, let it dry by evaporation, drying it by using dry parts of the microfiber cloth, nothing works. I also cleaned my microfiber cloth in hot water, in case it would have absorbed oils (I haven't used any detergent though as mines are not gentle to fabric).

Any advice? Maybe it's normal and it doesn't impact the image quality.

Thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_20210320_084824.jpg
    IMG_20210320_084824.jpg
    935.5 KB · Views: 123
I'm generally a bit wary of using microfibre clothes in case of any microscopic grit particles that may scratch the lenses and prefer to use disposable lens wipes. Just as with using a microfibre cloth with lens fluid if residual liquid is left on the lens to try it leaves a smear as you've seen. However, for the last part of the clean I use a clean bit of nearly dry disposable wipe on the smear patches and that removes them. Rubbing with a dry microfibre cloth is particularly risky for scratches, so I'd only do it with a disposable lens wipe.

Try Kimwipes. I've used them for years in conjunction with alcohol and/or window cleaner and they work well. To get rid of post-evaporation marks, just breathe on the lenses and gently wipe a dry Kimwipe in a circular motion beginning in the center and working your way to the perimeter. Repeat if necessary.
That said, there are many, many good ways to clean binocular lenses.
Good luck
Foss

Oh c..p, now I have to check to see if the Zeiss wipes are fake. Just a joke.... of course these days one never knows.

Don’t look like fakes to me - worked really well anyway!

Attachments

• B6997799-ADFD-4B42-854E-CC1E2FDE2ED7.jpeg
    B6997799-ADFD-4B42-854E-CC1E2FDE2ED7.jpeg
    890.2 KB · Views: 66
Hi,

my way to clean (apart from cleaning very sparingly) is to use lots of cleaning liquid (optics cleaner or just isoprop), rub very gently with a clean microfiber cloth and then dab off the excess fluid with the dry end of the microfiber cloth...

Joachim

Hi, unless the lenses are water repellent, I always have this terrible result after cleaning my lenses (see photo attached).

I use brush and then professional liquid applied on a microfiber cloth. Do you have the same result?

It looks like all stains and smears are gone but the liquid leaves a mark after evaporating.
I have no idea if it degrades the image quality.

I tried different ways: liquid straight on the lenses, liquid on the cloth, small quantity, big quantity, let it dry by evaporation, drying it by using dry parts of the microfiber cloth, nothing works. I also cleaned my microfiber cloth in hot water, in case it would have absorbed oils (I haven't used any detergent though as mines are not gentle to fabric).

Any advice? Maybe it's normal and it doesn't impact the image quality.

Thanks.
After you clean your lenses with the brush and liquid use a Lenspen and breathe on them first. It will remove the smears left by the cleaning solution. If your lenses aren't too dirty just blow them with a blower to get any abrasives off followed by breathing on them and then using Lenspen.

I would be inclined to use an aerosol like Dust Off. I used that on my expensive Leica and Schneider lenses. 1st rule of lense cleaning, never touch the glass.

If there is something Dust Off can't remove, I'm inclined to use Distilled water with possibly a drop of Dawn dish soap, and a very very soft brush, then rinsed with distilled water.

Last edited:
Isopropyl alcohol + distilled water (50/50), and a good quality microfibre cloth. In the old days I used a cotton cloth instead of the microfibre cloth. Worked just fine over the past 40+ years.

If there's any dust or sand on the lenses I use a blower first. Of course. Or, if it's a waterproof pair, I just rinse the lenses under the tap. Also works nicely if there's any salt spray on the lenses.

I never use a lenspen or any of these modern contraptions. Never felt a need for them.

Hermann

From advice given on previous threads, I now often use a JJC Dust Free Blower. Then (rarely & only when obviously needed, like seeing an oily fingerprint on an objective) cotton wool balls dampened with water are moved gently in a circular motion on the glass, and dry cotton wool balls similarly to remove any excess water. And the Blower again to remove any cotton fibres.
Seems to work well.

Microfibre cloths do a nice job of cleaning our TV screens ;)

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back