• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Results from colour-ring reading (2 Viewers)

I reckon it's been misidentified at the pullus stage, that to me is a GBBG.

Anyway I've come on to post my latest spot, another adult Mediterranean Gull (white E956) at Instow, N Devon 3/11/15:

Ringed as a pullus 23/06/12 at Total (the oil guys) facility, Antwerpen. Belgium.
Resighted spring 2013 in France, spring 2014 in France, July-Oct 2014 in N Devon, spring 2015 in France and July - Nov 2015 in N Devon. Not a bad lifestyle!

Had a Coal Tit in my garden that had a ring on it and the numbers turned out to be Z662319 it had come from Bardey to Nefyn( Lleyn Peninsula) approx 12 miles but I don't know when it was ringed, have sent the info to BTO for their records. Also in the pouring rain yesterday had a male Greenfinch with a silver ring on. Getting photos with just the ring on is a hard task but with very interesting results.

Had a Coal Tit in my garden that had a ring on it and the numbers turned out to be Z662319 it had come from Bardey to Nefyn( Lleyn Peninsula) approx 12 miles but I don't know when it was ringed, have sent the info to BTO for their records. Also in the pouring rain yesterday had a male Greenfinch with a silver ring on. Getting photos with just the ring on is a hard task but with very interesting results.

I concur Shirley.....several years ago I set up a Niger feeding station 8' from the bedroom window, with mostly Redpolls I've been able (with difficulty as you know) to transcribe the ring nos. and send them on to the BTO.

To date I've had returns from Powys, Yorkshire, Norfolk, Suffolk, Essex and Brussels!...all exciting stuff!

Cheers

A dedicated photographer of size A rings - that is something I love to hear! I've only managed a partial read of an A ring once down a scope into my garden (Goldfinch), fortunately I eventually caught the bird under license and read the rest. Have done full reads of rings on House Sparrow and Starling which take bigger rings.

A year or two ago, I reported a colour-ringed med gull on Great Yarmouth beach and was slightly deflated to find it had only been ringed a couple of days earlier, on exactly the same beach.

Back in November, I saw a different colour-ringed bird. Finally got round to reporting it, and got a very different story (and an impressively quick response from the ringing project). It's been reported with great regularity, mostly from Yarmouth, but was first ringed in Antwerp ... in 2001. As an adult, at least 3cy. So it's at least 16 years old.

Attachments

• IMG_1370a.jpg
    IMG_1370a.jpg
    483 KB · Views: 91
I visit Albion Landfill Site (with special permission) most Thursdays to check for colour-ringed gulls.

Today I has a LBB Gull originally ringed by the Severn Estuary Gull Group in Gloucs in December 2007. It has now ben sighted a total of six times:

Aldridge, West Midlands on 20.01.09
Valdovino, Spain on 07.01.11
Albion LS, Leics on 31.01.13
Albion LS, Leics on 02.01.14
Albion LS, Leics on 29.01.15
Albion LS. Leics on 28.01.16

Amazing that it has called in at the same site within four days in three different years, obviously while on its way north from wintering in Spain.

Steve

Just heard back that my Finnish black headed gull (metal ring only) found at Exeter was ringed as a chick in 1997, making it the oldest I've ever found. Now if only I could get the full number off that blasted Belarus-ringed bird (seen 2013 and 2016)!!

Purple Sandpiper at Whitburn Steel, Co. Durham at the weekend was originally ringed on 9th June 2010 at Longyearbyen, Spitsbergen when it was a 2nd calendar year bird and has since been reported from Whitburn steel on the following dates:

Just heard back on my very first ring :)

Greylag goose - first ringed in the Forest of Dean in 2010, seen in Hereford, FoD, around Gloucestershire including Slimbridge off-and-on up until now, apart from one report in Lanarkshire in summer '14.

I can see how this could get addictive.

A LBBG that I read the ring on at my usual site last week has come back as being ringed as a L.f.fuscus aka Baltic Gull on the west coast of northern Norway.

Counts as a rarity in Britain !!

Steve

A LBBG that I read the ring on at my usual site last week has come back as being ringed as a L.f.fuscus aka Baltic Gull on the west coast of northern Norway.

Counts as a rarity in Britain !!

Steve

Odd that it was so identified, as the west coast of Norway is usually listed as breeding range for L. f. intermedius (which is frequent in Britain on passage). The breeding range for L. f. fuscus is in the Baltic - eastern Sweden, Finland, etc.

According to the Norwegian gull people there are plenty of 'Baltic Gulls' breeding in the three northern areas of the country, Nordland, Troms and Finnmark. The grey-backed races are relatively recent colonists in those areas.

See the papers referred to in the thread about the Shawell Baltic Gull, which, unlike mine, actually looked like one.

Steve

My latest ring-reading targets are Common Terns perching on some convenient railings at Cropston Reservoir, not far from home. 24 ringed birds so far, a mixture of colour-ringed (Lime coded Darvics used by Charnwood RG) and metal-ringed. With patience and 75x the latter are readable and include birds from Notts (2), Bedfordshire, Gtr London and Sussex.

Lagoon 4 at Rutland Water is also providing great opportunities for colour-ringed Black-headed Gulls. This week we have had birds from Germany (2), Poland, Hungary, Scotland, Cambridgeshire and the North Thames Gull Group area (3).

Steve

had a Herring Gull black 420 on the Hayle estuary this morning, seen many times by Mr Steve Lister -

ringed at Radipole Lake on 05/12/2011 and subsequently seen at

19/05/2012 Radipole Dean Nickleson
03/09/2012 Hayle Estuary Steve Lister
06/10/2013 Hayle Estuary Simon Taylor
13/01/2015 Hayle Estuary Dave Parker
10/02/2015 Hayle Estuary Sue Sayer
24/02/2015 Hayle Estuary Mark Grantham
05/09/2015 Hayle Estuary Steve Lister
10/09/2015 Hayle Estuary Steve Lister
18/09/2015 Hayle Estuary Steve Lister
30/08/2016 Hayle Estuary Simon Taylor

had a Herring Gull black 420 on the Hayle estuary this morning, seen many times by Mr Steve Lister -

ringed at Radipole Lake on 05/12/2011 and subsequently seen at

19/05/2012 Radipole Dean Nickleson
03/09/2012 Hayle Estuary Steve Lister
06/10/2013 Hayle Estuary Simon Taylor
13/01/2015 Hayle Estuary Dave Parker
10/02/2015 Hayle Estuary Sue Sayer
24/02/2015 Hayle Estuary Mark Grantham
05/09/2015 Hayle Estuary Steve Lister
10/09/2015 Hayle Estuary Steve Lister
18/09/2015 Hayle Estuary Steve Lister
30/08/2016 Hayle Estuary Simon Taylor

This bird must be based on the Hayle for six months every year. Nine sightings in four years from five people goes to show how few people bother to look for and then report colour rings. I wish more would, but I suppose I am preaching to the converted on this thread.

Steve

This bird must be based on the Hayle for six months every year. Nine sightings in four years from five people goes to show how few people bother to look for and then report colour rings. I wish more would, but I suppose I am preaching to the converted on this thread.

Steve

Who knows? Mebbe it spends most of its time too distant to read ring numbers? Perhaps out at sea following boats unless it's too stormy for boats to be out? Lots of possibilities that don't need to invoke poor reporting!

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back