• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Results from colour-ring reading (3 Viewers)

A year or two ago, I reported a colour-ringed med gull on Great Yarmouth beach and was slightly deflated to find it had only been ringed a couple of days earlier, on exactly the same beach.

Back in November, I saw a different colour-ringed bird. Finally got round to reporting it, and got a very different story (and an impressively quick response from the ringing project). It's been reported with great regularity, mostly from Yarmouth, but was first ringed in Antwerp ... in 2001. As an adult, at least 3cy. So it's at least 16 years old.

Visited Great Yarmouth on Thursday and saw exactly the same Med Gull that I'd seen this time last year. It'll be at least 17 now. It spends its summers in the Antwerp area and its winters in Yarmouth, pretty reliably, based on what I've heard from the ringing scheme.

Looks like it gets reported about once a fortnight while it's in the UK.

Attachments

• IMG_5034b.jpg
    IMG_5034b.jpg
    183.8 KB · Views: 38
500 !!

I have just entered Carl Baggott's November ring-readings on to my summary chart and they take the total of colour-ringed LBB Gulls in Leics and Rutland this year past the 500 mark. Carl has read and reported well over half of them at his Shawell and Cotesbach study area.

Last year it was 424, and 2014 we saw 384. Next year my main site, Albion Landfill, closes down so we will not get such high totals in the future.

Steve

An interesting (to me anyway!) result from our recent gull ringing at Pitsea. Two BHG's ringed as pulli on the same day in Bradwell in Essex (1 July 1997), caught in the same net trap on 17 Dec 2016 at Pitsea - aged 19.

In the same catch was a BHG ringed in Cambridgeshire in 1989 - aged 27.
All three were metal ringed only - and only one of the younger pair needed re-ringing because the ring was a bit thin.

And to Swindon Addick above - I visit West Wittering regularly in the winter looking for colour-ringed Sanderling and on every visit in the past 3 years (when I started) there has been a Med gull loafing around the car park or in the sea nearby. Clearly as it's not ringed it might be different birds, but I think it is likely the same one. Site fidelity is seemingly quite important!

Happy New Year

Mick

Just finished entering Carl Baggott's December sightings into my 2016 Leics/Rutland colour-ring data and they bring the total up to 766 colour-ringed birds seen and reported during the year, with 527 of them being Lesser Black-backed Gulls.

Unfortunately a few ringers and contacts are letting the side down a bit by not replying so about 50 of the sightings have no accompanying info.

Steve

Vast numbers of Common Gulls roost at Rutland Water during March and early April and the water level on one of the lagoons used as a pre-roost has allowed us to read six colour rings in the past fortnight. It turns out that all of them are Norwegian birds.

Other recent c-r birds include a Norwegian LBB Gull, a German Caspian Gull and Black-headed Gulls from Norway, the Netherlands and Germany.

Steve

Little Egret today, Gosforth Park, Northumbs.
Left leg: red ring with white J
Right leg: yellow ring with black H

Edit: looks to be from here: http://www.cr-birding.org/node/407 (first time I've managed to find a ringing scheme via this website successfully! :-O). Reported & awaiting details . . .

Attachments

• 003.jpg
    003.jpg
    309.6 KB · Views: 162
Last edited:
We get a couple of birds each year from North Cotes which I always report but I've yet to receive a reply from that contact address.
Oh dear! Well, needless to say, I've not had a response either yet.

Sad if the scheme has discontinued, when it's still generating data.

Just been through all my Freiston Shore and Frampton Marsh Black-tailed Godwit ring sightings since 2014, weeding out any that were probably mis-reads and ones I never got replies for. A total of 105 left, with 2014 being the best year. Several I have recorded in two of the last three years but only one in all three, YO-LO(Z).

As there are about 2000 back at Frampton already I think a couple of days over there this week should produce a fair few sightings, maybe even YO-LO(Z) again.

Plus 24 other species of waders there today including RN Phalarope and Pec Sand.

Steve

We get a couple of birds each year from North Cotes which I always report but I've yet to receive a reply from that contact address.

I've reported several sightings of a colour-ringed Little Egret, which turned out to be from North Cotes. Have always had a response.
Martin

Even though its still only July ring-reading at Rutland Water this week has produced adult Black-headed Gulls that have already migrated across from Norway, Denmark, Finland, Poland, Lithuania, Germany and the Netherlands.

Steve

Even though its still only July ring-reading at Rutland Water this week has produced adult Black-headed Gulls that have already migrated across from Norway, Denmark, Finland, Poland, Lithuania, Germany and the Netherlands.

Steve

PKCS the Polish Caspian Gull seen back at Amble (Northumbs) a couple of days ago, too :t:

Sarnie Tern dark green EBV, St Mary's Island, Northumbs - just discovered it photobombing the edge of one of my pics from 7 August. It's been places!

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 129
  • EBV.jpg
    EBV.jpg
    889.8 KB · Views: 154
During my usual Cornwall September fortnight I managed to read colour rings on three Med Gulls and a BH Gull, all foreign ringed. Well done to the various contacts in France, Hungary and Poland for getting the ringing details and life histories back to me within 24 hours of reporting the rings.

Steve

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back