• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

'RetroPorro' a Possibility says Leica (1 Viewer)

If a Binuxit was like a Nikon SE but with an extra degree gov with enough e/r for my glasses then it sounds great to me.

I fear that a new Binuxit would be hard to sell: It would look like any other 8x30 Porro binocular which sells for 50 bucks and has simply gone 'out of fashion'. But its price would probably be higher than Swarovski's 8x30 Habicht, which also doesn't sell well (so I was told). Would it be able to compete with the Habicht or Nikon's EII?

Really great would be a new design of the 6x24 Amplivid, but Leica would probably be unable in modern times to make these prism/mirror systems of Ludewig & Schade.

What is left are, as mentioned before, those Porro II designs, which would look kind of special and may be regarded as stylish gadgets if performance were right. Would look great on the bridge of my yacht (if only I had one :)

Cheers,
Holger

Hmm, I see a sort of trap here... A Porro I (Binuxit) would look too much like anyone else's, you say; but the presumable point of the exercise is to produce a nostalgic model that appeals to people who recognize Porros (and the Leitz history with them). As for Porro II, I'm not familiar with the historic ones previously referred to. Could someone present an example or two? (The Amplivid would be difficult for most to distinguish from a roof design, I think. Is it a category of its own?)

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm sure Leica knows how to make a Porro I look really classy :)

Neither the Habicht, the Oberkochen Zeiss porros, nor the E2/SE look cheap to me. You can see they are high quality instruments.

George

Hmm, I see a sort of trap here... A Porro I (Binuxit) would look too much like anyone else's, you say; but the presumable point of the exercise is to produce a nostalgic model that appeals to people who recognize Porros (and the Leitz history with them). As for Porro II, the contemporary models seem to be blocky things with rotating eyepieces, and I'm not familiar with the historic ones previously referred to. Could someone present an example or two? (The Amplivid would be difficult for most to distinguish from a roof design, I think. Is it a category of its own?)

Sure, below is a picture of a Leitz 7x50 binocular.

Cheers,
Holger

Attachments

• leitz_7x50_porroII.jpg
    leitz_7x50_porroII.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 33
Thanks for the picture, Holger.
Before I were to go out with a retro-version of this one around my neck, I think I would need a new, matching clothing style ....
;)

Thanks for the picture, Holger.
Before I were to go out with a retro-version of this one around my neck, I think I would need a new, matching clothing style ....
;)

Canip, I am confident that the Leica store would be ready to offer a suitable outfit, too, perhaps even a hair stylist for the mustache :)

Cheers,
Holger

Hello,

Here is another Leitz Porro II, which was restored. Even if Leica came out with a CF model, I cannot see sufficient demand, even from Leica collectors, for such a glass.

Happy yachting,
Arthur

Attachments

• Leitz BEH.jpg
    Leitz BEH.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 41
Last edited:
Thanks for the photos, Holger and Arthur. Can you point me to a diagram distinguishing Porro II from I in a case like this? I wouldn't necessarily have spotted a significant difference in prism orientation. My first thought would instead have been that this seems quite elongated for a 7x50. What would it look like in 30 or 40mm?

Tweeds would go well with this. (Hard to find anymore though, at least in the USA)

I find the desire and need for a retro-Leitz porro is not there. The retro Leitz Trinovid was a good
decision, but the porro would not be.

Not sure why, as more and better options were and are still available today in porro models.

Jerry

Last edited:
In a forthcoming interview with Stephan Albrecht of Leica, you will read that a retro-porro, in the same way as the Retrovid, would be considered by Leica if the demand is there. Herr Albrecht specifically says he would welcome feedback from Birdforum members about this.

Take note: this is not a cast-iron promise but it is an opportunity for Leica porro enthusiasts to nominate models and to say that they would definitely be interested in buying such a model.

Lee

Who cares... they can’t evn make the 7x35 Retrovid with sane rubber armoring.

Perhaps Leica will wait and see sales performance of the new Trinovids /"retrovid" through December of this year, prior to even contemplating a porro design. Perhaps they can make the 6X24 Trinovid again, that would be interesting.

Andy W.

They could build a Perger porro prism glass with some black leather on it. Or an AK prism glass with some black leather on it. They could buy the EDG design from Nikon and update it, black leather or not. Maybe they could innovate with a clear aim of delivering the best and something no-one else offers.

If there was a market for porros, Zeiss would have to offer their 8x30.

Hello,

I too would like to see a Perger Porro.

But I am not holding my breath for this one , Leica dropped the ball with the Retrovid.

If they do make a "Retro Porro" will they also only be available through the Leica Boutique stores ?.

Cheers.

In a forthcoming interview with Stephan Albrecht of Leica, you will read that a retro-porro, in the same way as the Retrovid, would be considered by Leica if the demand is there. Herr Albrecht specifically says he would welcome feedback from Birdforum members about this.

Take note: this is not a cast-iron promise but it is an opportunity for Leica porro enthusiasts to nominate models and to say that they would definitely be interested in buying such a model.

Lee
Hi Lee,
I would be very interested in a lightweight, waterproof 12 x 42/50 Leica Porro. Is the interview with Herr Albrecht already online?
Kind regards,
T.

If it does not have to be a revival of an old model I would be in for a 6x36 porro, modern coatings, a GA version besides the leatherette, 'weather resistance', twist-up eye-cups would be a nice-to-have too but not essential, optics designd for sensibly dimensioned ER, ...

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back