• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Returning Zeiss 10x32 binos (1 Viewer)

Elkhornsun

United States
I watched videos and read forum posts about the new Zeiss SF binoculars and saw no mention of the odd front objective cover and its attachment to the front of the binos with a small lanyard. Even the pictures of the Zeiss binoculars from the manufacturer and the cover of the Zeiss bino box does not show the two front eyelets. The idea of having a large objective lens cover dangling from the front of the binoculars with a lanyard is insane. It is a Band-aid to mask a design flaw.

There is a quick release clip but this means unclipping the lanyard and attached obectives cover and putting it into a pocket and hoping that it does not get lost in the brush. At the very least the objective cover should be yellow or white to make it easier to find in the brush as one retraces their steps after arriving back at the car and realizing that it is gone.
I am sending them back to the reseller and replacing them with the Swarovski 10x32 EL binoculars.

I use my binoculars along with my camera and lenses and not having things that can get caught in the brush or on a button of my shirt or jacket is important. Often I take my Swarovski 10x25 CL Pocket Mountain binoculars as they are small enough to carry in a jacket pocket or the water bottle pouch on the outside of the photo backpack.

Others may have a very different perspective but I wanted to post this bit of information.

I watched videos and read forum posts about the new Zeiss SF binoculars and saw no mention of the odd front objective cover and its attachment to the front of the binos with a small lanyard. Even the pictures of the Zeiss binoculars from the manufacturer and the cover of the Zeiss bino box does not show the two front eyelets. The idea of having a large objective lens cover dangling from the front of the binoculars with a lanyard is insane. It is a Band-aid to mask a design flaw.

There is a quick release clip but this means unclipping the lanyard and attached obectives cover and putting it into a pocket and hoping that it does not get lost in the brush. At the very least the objective cover should be yellow or white to make it easier to find in the brush as one retraces their steps after arriving back at the car and realizing that it is gone.
I am sending them back to the reseller and replacing them with the Swarovski 10x32 EL binoculars.

I use my binoculars along with my camera and lenses and not having things that can get caught in the brush or on a button of my shirt or jacket is important. Often I take my Swarovski 10x25 CL Pocket Mountain binoculars as they are small enough to carry in a jacket pocket or the water bottle pouch on the outside of the photo backpack.

Others may have a very different perspective but I wanted to post this bit of information.
Err, you returned a binocular because you didn't like the objective cover? And even chose a model from a different manufacturer? Would have been less hassle to just get some different covers :cool: I do agree that the Zeiss dangely cover is pathetic, similar to that on the Conquests, I just thew mine away.

My HT had the same issue....it is apparently just a Zeiss thing. I don't like it but for me it wasn't a deal killer as I had the HT's for 7 years. .... I too know the hassle of having a pair of bins, a Canon + 400m etc... and having them tag around your shoulders.

I just never attached the covers in the field.

I too know the hassle of having a pair of bins, a Canon + 400m etc... and having them tag around your shoulders.

I just never attached the covers in the field.
My kit if often a pair of binos and close-focusing monoc plus Canon DSLR and two zooms for landscapes and 100mm Macro lens. Never, ever used objective covers on any binos from any brand.

Lee

I was all set to buy the 8x32 SF the other day when I started studying the objective cover. What an absolute after-thought of piss-poor design. I passed on ordering.

Where and how I use my binoculars requires a usable objective cover. One that's secure, yet quick to deploy/employ. The Leica drop down covers, the older Swaro SLC and Zeiss FL covers were absolute tops in this regard.

Based on some of the above responses, it's obvious those questioning your sanity don't use binoculars in the same conditions I do (and perhaps you do). People inhabit their own little space and can't fathom a world outside their own experience. C'est la vie.

My only question is why a 10x32 and not an 8x32? I find the 10x32 the least satisfying magnification/objective size of any binocular. I'm curious to hear your thought.

Best,

Brad

I agree with you on the objective covers on the Zeiss. Sometimes little things like that can make you not care for a binocular no matter how good optically it is. You can get tethered objective covers from Opticron in different sizes that might have solved the problem. I had a lot of trouble with glare with the Swarovski 10x32 EL. Let us know what you think after you have used it a while.

https://www.amazon.com/Opticron-Rub...ticron+objective+covers&qid=1610121115&sr=8-1

Such a simple solution to correct such a minor problem. Silly reason to return binoculars that, otherwise, do a great job. This cover style on my 8x42 HTs is not an issue for me whatsoever. The problem with drop down covers (like those from Vortex that I use on my 8x32 Conquest HDs) is that, in time, the rubber connecting piece will rot and break requiring their replacement.

I agree with you on the objective covers on the Zeiss. Sometimes little things like that can make you not care for a binocular no matter how good optically it is. You can get tethered objective covers from Opticron in different sizes that might have solved the problem. I had a lot of trouble with glare with the Swarovski 10x32 EL. Let us know what you think after you have used it a while.

https://www.amazon.com/Opticron-Rub...ticron+objective+covers&qid=1610121115&sr=8-1

Those Opticron objective covers won't work on the non-round barrels of the Zeiss SF...

Last edited:
Such a simple solution to correct such a minor problem. Silly reason to return binoculars that, otherwise, do a great job. This cover style on my 8x42 HTs is not an issue for me whatsoever. The problem with drop down covers (like those from Vortex that I use on my 8x32 Conquest HDs) is that, in time, the rubber connecting piece will rot and break requiring their replacement.
I've had drop down covers on a Swarovski now in their 23rd year... rot? Seriously?

Yes, as you point out the hinge is a problem... but do these look round?
Mac you are right. The armour is a little thicker in two places but I would have thought that these would be no problem for the covers that attach with a flexible rubber ring. However, since I have never used objective covers I am probably wrong.

Lee

I've had drop down covers on a Swarovski now in their 23rd year... rot? Seriously?
Seriously. I'm talking about the objective covers from vortex. I have no idea what you had on your Swaros. If made by them, I'd hope they'd be better quality.

Seriously. I'm talking about the objective covers from vortex. I have no idea what you had on your Swaros. If made by them, I'd hope they'd be better quality.
Wow, gotchya. All the various drop down objective covers I've had from Zeiss, Swaro and Leca have been excellent.

Yes, as you point out the hinge is a problem... but do these look round?
This is why I asked if you had tried. I own the SF 8x32 and as Troubador said, they are round enough. One can even push the rainguard on the objective, it is just slightly too small. So AFAIK, the real problem is the hinge.

Attachments

• sf32.jpg
    sf32.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 62
This is why I asked if you had tried. I own the SF 8x32 and as Troubador said, they are round enough. One can even push the rainguard on the objective, it is just slightly too small. So AFAIK, the real problem is the hinge.
Thanks for the illustration, and I think, as you point out, the hinge will likely be more the issue than the barrel shape.

My only question is why a 10x32 and not an 8x32? I find the 10x32 the least satisfying magnification/objective size of any binocular. I'm curious to hear your thought.
I really understand very well about the above statement! I think the desire to see more details and need a light weight pair of binoculars that drive to the choice of 10x32 vs 8x32. For me the whole purpose of the binoculars is to look closer at the objects: birds, animals, nature views in my case....Very early I found the 8x is somewhat missing the level of details I crave....I started out with the Carl Zeiss JENA 7x50 when in college in the 80's. Then the Fujinon 10x50 and the Nikon LX 8x32. With a strong arm while young, I then used the EL 10x50, 12x50 and SLC 15x56 for quite a long time. I got the EL 10x32 for a while but unsatisfied due to the shaking due to small size and light weight. Since then for a period of time, I traveled a lot to tropical areas and inquired some good 8x including EL 8.5, SF 8x42 but I still prefer the 10x and 12x so I can see more vivid details of the subjects. My most preferred bino were EL SV 10x50 and then NV 10x42 until recently the weight really got to me, human nature of physical and strength deterioration approaching golden years! I had been shopping again for a 10x in 32 format for quite a while, tried out the SF 10x32 but not working due to the eye piece not working for me with my eyeglasses on: Can't see the entire views and hard to find good eye placement without black beans. I looked for good eye relief, good for eyeglasses on, wide FOV and AFOV, light weight but giving stabilized image, compact... I finally found that Swarovski with the latest NL 10x32, responded to this most difficult task in binoculars world: an upbeat 10x32 for people who need eyeglasses. I am happy getting into the golden years with a pair of NL 10x32 on my neck on the trails :)

Objective covers? What are objective covers? :LOL:

I can't speak to the 10x32s; as for Victory SF 8x32s - wow, these are such impressive binoculars. The feather-weight, the ocular-balance, the super-brightness and sharpness, and long enough to get a full, steadying grip-on. Zeiss did a superb job with these bins.

Oh... the objective covers... those things that I never take out of the box! ;)

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back