• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Review of 8x25 Victory Pocket (1 Viewer)

The VP 8x25 and the SFL 8x30 are quite different in use. I was pinning some hopes on the SFL 8x30 but for me the black outs / IPD settings did not work out at all for me with glasses. Size was perfect though.

I revisited the VP 8x25 as a sidekick to the SFL 8x40 which works a lot better for me than the SFL 8x30 in terms of eye placement. The VP 8x25 is one of the few binos that work exactly as well with or without glasses for me. In this aspect it is way better than the SFL 8x30 for me and my eyes. The optics are first rate and I have no complaints as to the performance. The VP 8x25 is a great all rounder but a little bit limited for me to serve as my go-to bino for everyday use.

For those that have used both the 8x25 VP and the Kowa Genesis 8x22 - which have you found to have the shorter/closer focus capability? I understand that when the VP works, its the best. I think I'd give up the better IQ and save a few $$ if the Kowa has a noticeably "better" close focus capability. (I think). (Slightly off topic here) - IQ would be VP > Kowa > Papillio? Trying to find the right set of compromises for me.

tx2ad,

For context, I own the 8x25 VP and Papillio 6.5. I also own and regularly use the Kowa Genesis 10.5x44 and have tried the 8.5 model for about a week. Have not tried to Kowa 8x22. If you haven't already, you might take a look at the 2018 review by Michael and Diane Porter of birdwatching.com of a number of "pockets" including the 8x22 Genesis and the VP.

I am also a fan of CF performance in an "all around" bin whether pocket or otherwise but without taking the time to parse, CF is third or fourth on the list for me. According to published specs CF on the VP is 5.9 feet while the Kowa is 4.7 feet. For us close focus fans that is a significant difference. However, In my experience and opinion the 10.5 Kowa is @ 80 to 90 % "as good" as comparable EL and UV HD+, but at half the MSRP and/or street price or less. So the more significant issue becomes, what is the current street price of the Kowa 8x22? Last I checked the MSRP was right up there with Leica, SW and Zeiss pockets as opposed to 50% or less like the full size Kowas. The 8x22 does appear to have been steeply discounted recently and if you look the 8x22 may be available for $400 to $450. According to the Porter review (FWIW) the Kowa finished last among the top 5 pockets in "Optics Score", and this in spite of its best CF and FOV equal to the VP.

(Slightly off topic here) - IQ would be VP > Kowa > Papillio? Trying to find the right set of compromises for me.

Based on my above experience and some extrapolation I agree with your ranking. Further, IMO the Papillio is a really great niche binocular primarily for ultra close viewing of stationary (flora, fauna, or museums) or slowly moving objects, less so as an all around bin.

Mike

Users who are viewing this thread

Back