• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Review of 8x25 Victory Pocket (4 Viewers)

Well, it's important, and the lack of proper ergonomics in pretty much every design renders these conversations pretty meaningless. Aside from the optical quality, It mostly comes down to people raving about a model that fits their personal dimensions, and being critical of one that doesn't work for them.
This being a very good example. If it "fits" you, then it is a winner. Otherwise, it's close to unusable.

I've a feeling my love affair with these binoculars are going to come crashing down any day soon when my winter gloves go on!
To be clear, I would not consider my issues with the 8x25 at the point to render them "unusable". I really, really like these binoculars, and I don't dislike using them in the field. If my budget was at the level where I could keep these around even if I didn't use them that often, I totally would keep them. Whereas the ergonomics of the Swaro 8x30 CL were problematic at that level for me, you couldn't pay me to keep them, I did not like using them at all (despite phenomenal optics!).

Yesterday morning I went for a long birding walk, covering 3 miles in close to 3 hours around a local set of small lakes. I carried both my wife's Leica 8x32 UVHD and the Zeiss 8x25, keeping one in the case and the other out so, swapping every 20-30 minutes or so. I would do some brief A/B comparisons for things like color balance, long distance resolution, etc. but I really feel like you can't really know how you feel about a binocular without using it in the field for extended periods. I wasn't super scientific, just focusing on how they felt to use and look at stuff in the field.

My (hopefully concise) thoughts:
  • Optically I would rate them as essentially dead even, the differences are more about aesthetics/preference. These two binocular play on the same level, i.e. the Zeiss optics are alpha level in terms of clarity / resolution.
  • The Leica as expected has a slightly warmer color balance, with deeper saturation of reds and a bit more contrast. The FOV is slightly wider and feels a bit wider due to having more pincushion.
  • The Zeiss is a touch brighter and more neutral, tending a bit to a cooler blue/green but closer to pure neutral whites than the Leica (note that the Leicas are not "plus", just regular HD... the HD Plus would likely be more even in this respect). The Zeiss has more correction of rectilinear distortion, with mild pincushion that straightens out slightly towards the edge (so very slight AMD compression).
  • Both binoculars have lovely views with a huge sweet spot and outstanding sharpness, minimal color fringing, excellent clarity. Relative to the Zeiss, the slight warm tone of the Leica helps the apparent contrast but makes them just a touch duller, so the Zeiss feels more "transparent". Again, I assume the HD Plus version of the Leica would do better in this respect.
  • The Leica is a touch better at pulling in details in lower light, for example trying to make out a barely visible Green Heron tucked away in the reeds in deep shadow. I attribute this to the larger aperture and slightly better contrast of the Leica. (Note that I briefly compared them at night for true low light performance and as expected the Leica's aperture advantage is even more obvious)
Very impressive performance by the Zeiss, especially given the price point. Optically, these have to be the best pocket binoculars ever. Leaving aside the exit pupil / eye placement issues, I think I may actually prefer the view through the Zeiss overall. Now I am thinking about whether I need to upgrade the Leica to HD Plus :/

Ergonomically, I actually find the Leicas to be a bit fussy for eye placement for an 8x32, but they were still much easier to use for heavy birding than the Zeiss. The shorter eye relief works to the Leica's advantage here since I do not wear glasses, and the Leica eyecups are much larger and softer edged. I again experienced some weird eye fatigue with the Zeiss first thing in the morning while my eyes were still bleary (I find them much easier to use in the afternoon for whatever reason). Obviously the Leica has more mass to grab onto and steady the view, and I love being able to use two fingers to focus on those huge double-length Leica focus knobs (although the Zeiss focus is much smoother).

This all confirmed my impressions and helped solidify my decision to not keep the Zeiss, although every time I use them I go "dang, maybe I should keep these?". They are so good. The ergonomic fussiness isn't that obvious when just casually looking at backyard birds or stationary objects, but with extended birding in the field with the bins going up and down, up and down, over and over, switching from close to far subjects, snapping them up when I catch a raptor zooming away out of the corner of my eye, the superior ergonomics and eye comfort of the Leica made them considerably more pleasurable.

These binoculars are essentially the same length, and not that different in overall dimensions when the Zeiss is opened for use, so the real benefit is the much lighter weight and the fact that they fold up to pocket-sized.... but this is only a benefit if you need a pocket-sized binocular. For "normal" birding use that's not a factor (for me at least) and so again I'd much rather carry a good 32mm for the majority of my uses. And the 8x32 will also be more usable in low light when the 8x25 gets really touchy.

A couple of comparison photos showing the size difference between the Zeiss 8x25, Leica 8x32, and the Vortex Diamondback 8x32... as you can see, very comparable in overall size other than the slimmer barrels of the Zeiss:

1606694228508.png
1606694258875.png

It seems whether you wear glasses or not is once again a good predictor of whether you will warm to the Zeiss or not.

Yes, I quite agree with this! I have absolutely zero complaints about the “raw” optics, literally the only thing I would change would be a bit more FOV just to be greedy.
I'll give a third vote for a 30mm version, for all the reasons you've cited... and it should be able to deliver that extra FOV also.

It seems whether you wear glasses or not is once again a good predictor of whether you will warm to the Zeiss or not.
Very much so -- it almost feels like it was optimized for glasses wearers given the very long eye relief for a compact. I can certainly see why someone who wears glasses would prefer them over the Ultravid 8x32!

Looking at my photos above it is interesting how some binoculars have more "wasted" eye relief due to eyecup shape. The Leica has shorter eye relief but the actual lens is almost flush with the rim of the eyecup; the Zeiss ocular lens is recessed much more deeply, so it's good for the glasses wearers that the eye relief is extra long! (and don't get me started on the Diamondbacks and that ridiculous raised "lip" on the outer rim of the eyecup, that serves no purpose other than wasting eye relief for eyeglass wearers!)

Incidentally, my wife does wear glasses and she has no issues with the Leica, but her glasses aren't that thick. The 32mm UV seems to be right on the borderline where it can be barely enough for some glasses wearers, but not enough for others.

Last edited:
To be clear, I would not consider my issues with the 8x25 at the point to render them "unusable". I really, really like these binoculars, and I don't dislike using them in the field. If my budget was at the level where I could keep these around even if I didn't use them that often, I totally would keep them. Whereas the ergonomics of the Swaro 8x30 CL were problematic at that level for me, you couldn't pay me to keep them, I did not like using them at all (despite phenomenal optics!).

Yesterday morning I went for a long birding walk, covering 3 miles in close to 3 hours around a local set of small lakes. I carried both my wife's Leica 8x32 UVHD and the Zeiss 8x25, keeping one in the case and the other out so, swapping every 20-30 minutes or so. I would do some brief A/B comparisons for things like color balance, long distance resolution, etc. but I really feel like you can't really know how you feel about a binocular without using it in the field for extended periods. I wasn't super scientific, just focusing on how they felt to use and look at stuff in the field.

My (hopefully concise) thoughts:
  • Optically I would rate them as essentially dead even, the differences are more about aesthetics/preference. These two binocular play on the same level, i.e. the Zeiss optics are alpha level in terms of clarity / resolution.
  • The Leica as expected has a slightly warmer color balance, with deeper saturation of reds and a bit more contrast. The FOV is slightly wider and feels a bit wider due to having more pincushion.
  • The Zeiss is a touch brighter and more neutral, tending a bit to a cooler blue/green but closer to pure neutral whites than the Leica (note that the Leicas are not "plus", just regular HD... the HD Plus would likely be more even in this respect). The Zeiss has more correction of rectilinear distortion, with mild pincushion that straightens out slightly towards the edge (so very slight AMD compression).
  • Both binoculars have lovely views with a huge sweet spot and outstanding sharpness, minimal color fringing, excellent clarity. Relative to the Zeiss, the slight warm tone of the Leica helps the apparent contrast but makes them just a touch duller, so the Zeiss feels more "transparent". Again, I assume the HD Plus version of the Leica would do better in this respect.
  • The Leica is a touch better at pulling in details in lower light, for example trying to make out a barely visible Green Heron tucked away in the reeds in deep shadow. I attribute this to the larger aperture and slightly better contrast of the Leica. (Note that I briefly compared them at night for true low light performance and as expected the Leica's aperture advantage is even more obvious)
Very impressive performance by the Zeiss, especially given the price point. Optically, these have to be the best pocket binoculars ever. Leaving aside the exit pupil / eye placement issues, I think I may actually prefer the view through the Zeiss overall. Now I am thinking about whether I need to upgrade the Leica to HD Plus :/

Ergonomically, I actually find the Leicas to be a bit fussy for eye placement for an 8x32, but they were still much easier to use for heavy birding than the Zeiss. The shorter eye relief works to the Leica's advantage here since I do not wear glasses, and the Leica eyecups are much larger and softer edged. I again experienced some weird eye fatigue with the Zeiss first thing in the morning while my eyes were still bleary (I find them much easier to use in the afternoon for whatever reason). Obviously the Leica has more mass to grab onto and steady the view, and I love being able to use two fingers to focus on those huge double-length Leica focus knobs (although the Zeiss focus is much smoother).

This all confirmed my impressions and helped solidify my decision to not keep the Zeiss, although every time I use them I go "dang, maybe I should keep these?". They are so good. The ergonomic fussiness isn't that obvious when just casually looking at backyard birds or stationary objects, but with extended birding in the field with the bins going up and down, up and down, over and over, switching from close to far subjects, snapping them up when I catch a raptor zooming away out of the corner of my eye, the superior ergonomics and eye comfort of the Leica made them considerably more pleasurable.

These binoculars are essentially the same length, and not that different in overall dimensions when the Zeiss is opened for use, so the real benefit is the much lighter weight and the fact that they fold up to pocket-sized.... but this is only a benefit if you need a pocket-sized binocular. For "normal" birding use that's not a factor (for me at least) and so again I'd much rather carry a good 32mm for the majority of my uses. And the 8x32 will also be more usable in low light when the 8x25 gets really touchy.

A couple of comparison photos showing the size difference between the Zeiss 8x25, Leica 8x32, and the Vortex Diamondback 8x32... as you can see, very comparable in overall size other than the slimmer barrels of the Zeiss:

View attachment 1356816
View attachment 1356817

Having both of these binoculars myself (also the Ultravid HD, not the HD+ which I haven’t had the chance to compare with), I agree on about everything you say comparing them. If I had only one I could keep, it would also be the Leica for it is just better for longer use and at lower light (still no low light binoculars though) while still being compact and not too heavy. But the Zeiss is ideal to take with me when I need something more compact when folded away, having some binoculars ‘just in case’ which I will still enjoy using for its very nice optics (I didn’t believe a 8x25 could be that good before having the Zeiss) and « disappearing low weight ».
There is one more thing I find the Ultravid better at: handling difficult light. The Zeiss can show a bit of veiling when the light is very difficult, though certainly not as annoyingly or badly as a Swarovski Habicht or Kite Lynx 8x30 at all, while the Ultravid is just increadibly impressive in its handling of difficult lighting.
I feel lucky I can keep both the little Zeiss and the Ultravid. Though I will probably soon have to let my Habicht go in order to fund some 42 or 50mm binoculars (still have to find out which one) for use when there is little light (I love the light and colours late in the evening after sunset, upto when it gets dark...).

4 months after getting the new Victory Pocket due to the focus knob issues, now the dioptre adjustment went. It got very loose and fiddly...not sure if I am just unlucky with this model or what as I have never had a binocular damaged in the past.

This happening with the most premium/expensive binocular in its category is frustrating...just the thought of having to wait months to have it checked/fixed/replaced....:(

4 months after getting the new Victory Pocket due to the focus knob issues, now the dioptre adjustment went. It got very loose and fiddly...not sure if I am just unlucky with this model or what as I have never had a binocular damaged in the past.

This happening with the most premium/expensive binocular in its category is frustrating...just the thought of having to wait months to have it checked/fixed/replaced....:(
Certainly unlucky. Was it the same pair failing twice, or two different ones?
I'd be tempted to give up on them, in your case.

Mine get lots of use, round my neck with a rainguard. I like that the objective lenses seem well recessed into the barrel, which seems to protect that end quite well.

2 different ones...the first one was replaced on warrant by a new one.

I was thinking about giving up on them.....what would be sad as I love them (and they are not cheap!). It only happened today so I will sleep over it.

I taped the little knob to the unit so it does not move, and as I am the only user, I do not need to readjust them. If that lasts they are still usable, but it is still frustrating given how much I look after them.

Hardware failure within such a short timescale is unacceptable, you should demand they get replaced again. And ask for an alternative pair whilst yours are out of action.

The forum would be interested to hear of your experience with Zeiss Customer Service, particularly as their sales team has just started an initiative for immediate shipping of demo units to potential UK customers, free of charge (although that offer is not currently available to Ireland, it's not rocket science). Will be interesting to see if they want to maintain their reputation.

Love the Victory Pocket 8x25 after mastering eye placement without glasses. Very comfortable and quickly on target with glasses. The Opticron 34mm rainguard is a perfect fit.

George

I found the Victory 8x25 to suffer from blackout although it is workable. I do not wear glasses and have not tried other compact bins like this to compare. But in my quest to find the perfect 8x32 / 8x30, I did order in a used Zeiss Victory to see what I thought of it. The optics are super, no shake etc.... I take extensive notes when I try out binoculars so can go back and see what I said about them. These are 'my eyes'..... so take that into consideration.

The eye-cups are either 'in or out'....glasses or no glasses. I couldn't get away from Blackout unless I moved them away from my eyes and rested on the upper portion of my eye socket. I think this is something you would get used to as eye-placement is tricky with many bins. It isn't a big deal, but with a 8x25 and having them rest a bit further from my eyes as I might like, it offered slightly less FOV when compared to the Meostar 8x32, but that is to be expected.

Nice focus on the Zeiss. I have in my notes that 'does the smoothness of Zeiss cause me to overshoot overall focus and have to readjust?' For instance in my notes I was comparing to the Meostar which has not a smooth as a focus as the Zeiss. But I felt the Meostar didn't have as much 'fiddling' to fine-tune the focus, if that makes sense.

Finger placement was odd at first, but I managed to get use to it. No issues with shaking due to smallness.

I think if I wanted to get a pocket pair, I would re-order in the Zeiss once more and compare to the Leica 8x20. Chances are, they are close enough that it comes down to personal likes. I would have more concerns that the Leica might have more issues than the Zeiss due to it being extra small, and I have no idea on the eye cups. They most likely would equal to Zeiss with having to rest them to upper eye sockets I am guessing.

I think if I wanted to get a pocket pair, I would re-order in the Zeiss once more and compare to the Leica 8x20. Chances are, they are close enough that it comes down to personal likes.
I have both and I find the Zeiss superior: easier eye placement, wider FOV, better ergonomics. The Leica 8x20 are still excellent when you want something very compact but now, I'm using the Zeiss instead of my Trinovid 8x32 because they are that good.

I've had zeiss VP for 6 months now, and have had the slipping diopter problem since day one. Today, the diopter knob came off! Shame because they are great bins otherwise. Hopefully there will be no quibble with warranty replacement. I'm worried though, that this is a design flaw, and any replacement pair will also have a slipping diopter. Perhaps one that comes off after warranty expiry. Maybe I should glue it on next time

Welcome to BF, Old Fart! I tried two VPs when they came out and had to return both for immediately obvious QC problems, but the diopter was nice and firm on both. If you send yours in I suspect you're more likely to get a replacement than repair, and probably fine in this respect. Just check it carefully for other flaws. It can indeed be a great bin.

Love my VP’s. Had them for several years and use them all the time - so easy to bring in Home’s and mountain bike rides. Found an easy solution for eyepiece covers: Opticron Rubber Objective Lens Covers 25mm OG M Pair fits models with OD 33mm. These fit perfect.CF52E2E6-F56B-42C2-9D8F-15307FE72231.jpegF05AE650-0513-400A-A9DB-90F0AA25AC02.jpeg

I have engineered a cardboard device -the Vholder- that makes the VP less fiddly to hold. Forum admins willing, I would like to test the design by giving some away to readers of this thread. At the moment I make my Vholder prototypes from used book mailers recovered from the store across the street, so they are mostly functional but not exactly beautiful :)

Last edited:
I have engineered a cardboard device -the Vholder- that makes the VP less fiddly to hold. Forum admins willing, I would like to test the design by giving some away to readers of this thread. At the moment I make my Vholder prototypes from used book mailers recovered from the store across the street, so they are mostly functional but not exactly beautiful :)
I don't find them at all fiddly. What does your holder do?

--AP

I don't find them at all fiddly. What does your holder do?

--AP
My holder makes the VP easier to hold, more stable in use if you have largish western hands, and shades the objective lenses a bit, increasing shadow penetration slightly, and also possibly of help if you feel you are getting flare within 60 degrees of the sun. Basically your VP looks longer, a bit like the Retrovid, with the objectives shaded by cardboard, and you get a more stable handhold by means of my "cardboard objective extension". Anyone interested in commenting on the effectiveness of this ergo hack can send me a pm with some mailing address, and also an indication of their IPD, and I'll drop a handmade model made from recycled cardboard in the mail - I can afford posting a handful of letters and don't expect a stampede :).

BTW I haven't seen any complaints about flare on the Pocket, and in fact the only case I found where shading the objectives was actually useful was when looking into hedges etc located under the sun. In my garden there is a hedge by the feeder which is positioned this way. On the other hand, users of this forum debate the merits of 93% vs 94% transmission, and rather more contrast will be lost to flare in the real world.

Edmund

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back