• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Review of 8x25 Victory Pocket (1 Viewer)

Mine just say Japan, although as Cosina make a lot of Zeiss' photographic lenses they'd be on my shortlist of possibles...

Just received the following message: many Zeiss CL 8x25's are returned with a broken focussing axis. The problem is caused by its construction: a rather brittle plastic axis.
Gijs van Ginkel

James Holsworth, post 672,
I do not know who you are referring to, but the following occurred: I have finished investigation now of about 20 compacts for a review and since I liked the Zeiss Victory 8x25 I wanted to buy it because of its handling comfort and good optical properties. So I always ask before buying; are there any vulnareble points to consider and is there more than average a problem with the Victory 8x25 because of a defects (I generally ask a dealer this question before buying an instrument). And the answer was: yes, the weak point seems to be the focussing mechanism, because we get them back quite regularly exactly with that problem. So before judging you better ask.
Gijs van Ginkel

...I liked the Zeiss Victory 8x25 I wanted to buy it because of its handling comfort and good optical properties. So I always ask before buying; are there any vulnareble points to consider and is there more than average a problem with the Victory 8x25 because of a defects (I generally ask a dealer this question before buying an instrument). And the answer was: yes, the weak point seems to be the focussing mechanism, because we get them back quite regularly exactly with that problem.
I like this thinking; much better than being caught off-guard by a weakness already known to others, but not examined because of an 'it's so cool' type of mindset.

Now that it's been reported here, people can exercise due caution.

I’ve had my pair for over a year. In that time they have come on a mountain sheep hunt, ride inside the center console of my truck continually, observe wildlife and birds multiple times a week and come on every backcountry ski and snow machine trip into your mountains that I go on, riding in the goggle pocket of my backpack. Basically they go everywhere with me and have endured hard use. I have not had any durability issues and they function as new.
They are not a fragile binocular. The only way I could see the diopter breaking is if it was to take a hard impact against something solid.

The Pocket models have been in production since 2017, so if there was an ongoing problem it may have been quietly corrected in more recent production.
See the details and spec's for the two x25 Pocket models from a 2017 catalogue; and those for the 8x20 and 10x25 Compacts from a 2016 one.

John

p.s. There's also a thread started by Canyac, complete with images, which I presume has already been referred to earlier in this thread:
Oh crap, the diopter knob is gone (the diopter knob being on the opposite end of the hinge to the focuser).

Attachments

• Pocket models 2017 cat.jpg
    Pocket models 2017 cat.jpg
    246.6 KB · Views: 64
  • Compact models 2016 cat.jpg
    Compact models 2016 cat.jpg
    193.5 KB · Views: 64
Last edited:
The Pocket models have been in production since 2017, so if there was an ongoing problem it may have been quietly corrected in more recent production.
This could well be the reason for so many not having any trouble, if they bought theirs after a solution had been applied starting at some point after the initial introduction.

I want to thank you all for sharing your experiences here. The discussion here inspired me to keep a lookout for a used pair of the Victory Pockets. I have them now, and, while I’m not considering them as potential replacements for my EL32, or even my wife’s CL-B 8x30, they are an enormous upgrade to my other pocket binos for use on walks to/from/at work, and will be my new travel and field work binos (my field work does not involve watching wildlife, but it happens!).

I wanted to add that I, like some others, found these pockets to have too much eye relief, and I had to hover them as a result. I found some add-on eye cups on Amazon and they work great (Acxico 2 pcs Rubber Eye Cover Guards Binocular Microscope Eyepiece Eye Cups for 32-35mm Amazon.com: Acxico 2 pcs Rubber Eye Cover Guards Binocular Microscope Eyepiece Eye Cups for 32-35mm : Electronics). They are not as soft and comfy as those made by Zeiss (or swaro, or Nikon, or Leica), and they do make the binos longer, but because they are longer and wider than those built in, with the eye cups in the down position I can rest the new cups on my orbits for better stability and glare control with no blackouts (see below).

Attachments

• 43561CB7-4C94-48AC-AF5E-CD360ECD4265.jpeg
    43561CB7-4C94-48AC-AF5E-CD360ECD4265.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 41
  • EC1EF429-A48F-4ADA-9EF7-0CA9DE89ACB8.jpeg
    EC1EF429-A48F-4ADA-9EF7-0CA9DE89ACB8.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 40

Users who are viewing this thread

Back