• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Review of 8x25 Victory Pocket (3 Viewers)

ZEISS 6.jpg
ease of view- no blackouts, good eye relief
center clarity - impeccable
edge clarity - about 85% of FOV with gradual decrease
contrast and brightness - the balance between these two leans towards brightness - black and heavily shaded areas are brighter than in other binoculars with higher contrast (eg Leica Trinovid 8x20 bca)
chromatic aberrations - almost non-existent, only in extreme conditions very little on the edge of FOV
glare- no
A binoculars without any optical compromise in a small body. It is good when you want to use a serious and high-performance binoculars but with low volume. But it's not really pocket binoculars.
ZEISS 5.jpg
ZEISS 8.jpg
ZEISS 9.jpg

ZEISS 11.jpg

Last edited:
It boggles the mind, to hold these in one hand and then something like an EL 1042 in the other. Its hard to not look from one to the other ask yourself why these are so physically different in the hand, in appearance, but so close in optical performance and then add in the price. How can this be?

Lovely pics Dorubird.

It boggles the mind, to hold these in one hand and then something like an EL 1042 in the other. Its hard to not look from one to the other ask yourself why these are so physically different in the hand, in appearance, but so close in optical performance and then add in the price. How can this be?

Lovely pics Dorubird.
Wanna swap? I need to take up weightlifting.
:)

Edmund

I don't know how I stumbled on this thread. I'm not a dedicated birder nor was I in the market for new bins. I guess it was a calling. Regardless, I was sucked in and before I knew it I had to have a new pair of Zeiss 8x25s and they had to be Victory's rather than Terra's. So I got 'em a few weeks ago and am so happy I did. The proselytes are right! This is not a review, just my observations and a Thank You to the many reviewers and commenters who propelled this thread.

I've been taking them on my mostly daily walk around my rural Idaho neighborhood, as well as watching the bird feeder. They really have the 'wow factor'. So small, yet very stable for me. I can fist each barrel comfortably and they play well with my glasses. The view isn't quite as easy and immersive as my Nikon Premier 8x32s, but I dare say the little guys offer a bit more sharpness and less CA without any real loss of brightness during daylight in my 50yo eyes. The color and contrast are beautiful as well. There's a clarity that mesmerizes me.

I took them out this evening for my usual stroll, just as the sun set behind gathering clouds with skies dappled in baby blue, violet, pink and red. Plenty of snow on everything so not as dark as you'd think for a cloudy sunset. I didn't expect to get any use out of them, but have learned they'll ride unnoticed - so why not. Right off the bat there was our resident flock of Turkeys, always nice to see. The little bins gave nice textured views of their heads and beards, easily picking out the Toms from 100yd. A bit farther on I spotted a large raptor, way off, yet could resolve just enough pattern in its dark silhouette to suggest a golden eagle, which I wasn't expecting. (I'm certain lesser pocket bins would miss that.) After a time it returned, zooming down a draw low and fast, then out again to meander like a harrier over the sage brush hillsides into the growing gloom. A bit later I saw what pulled him into the draw, a little group of Mule deer - four does and a spike buck. They were about 250yd away and I was tickled to be able to resolve the spike's thin antlers (backdrop of high contrast snow helped I'm sure). I can only suppose the eagle hoped there was a yearling in the herd...

Just as I got back to the house I noticed Jupiter rising over the hills. My hold wasn't as steady, being tired and cold, but I could still appreciate a nice flat disk and 2 Galilean moons to the East. Taking a knee I could pick up a third moon on the West, tucked in close to the planet, but it wasn't easy to see. Once home I grabbed my 10x42 Zeiss Conquests for a quick comparison. The extra magnification (and objective size?) makes resolving Galilean moons much easier and more enjoyable, but I couldn't see any more than what I'd already seen. Checking a website, it turns out I could resolve all but Europa which was on the West side, tucked in hopelessly close.

Long story to illustrate how these binoculars delight me. As 'why not', 'grab and go' bins, they turned what could have been a healthful, if cold and lonesome walk, into a joyful Nature experience. Sure, I'd of seen all of those critters without them, but I don't have to tell you what a different experience it is when you see the eye that sees you. When you savor the fine details of our planet and the moons of another. What joy!

Thanks again.
-Deric

Thank you to those who've recommended the Opticron objective covers L size, code # 31027 - 34mm outside diameter. I received mine today (from Amazon US), and they fit my Victory Pockets perfectly! I also have one of the Opticron rainguards (code # 31075, Medium diameter to 44 mm) for the eyepieces. It's a bit oversize, as this size is required to fit over the Field Optics winged eye shields (when the shields are folded down to their sides) that I have installed on the eyepieces. Well, with all that extra paraphernalia, I guess they're "Pockets" no more! :D

Moving on to accessories. No objective caps are supplied, nor is an ocular guard. These can be handy to protect the lenses when a pocket bin is carried in a pack with other items, so I can't understand why they aren't provided. How much would a few such bits of plastic cost??? The Zeiss 8x25 Victory Pocket is supplied with a nice neoprene strap, but it is quite bulky and not good for anyone selecting this bin for small pack size. I prefer very minimalist straps with non-scratching hardware, so I'm not happy with all the little fiddly and hard bits (loop connectors, buckles, sliders, rings) used in this too-complicated strap. I ended up fashioning my own strap from a length of soft 1.5 cm wide flattened tubular nylon webbing, with a length of thin black synthetic shoelace on each end (to slip through the ultra small lugs, then knot at the end to keep it from slipping back through). The clamshell case that comes with this bin is a joke. It is almost large enough to accept my Zeiss 8x32 FL, it only fits the Victory when the hinge is set at maximum IPD, and it has a LOT of wasted (unless you want to cram several of those bulky neoprene neck straps in there!) space between the barrels. Ridiculous! Instead, I am using the case for a Nikon 8x25 SportStar IV. It is a perfect fit, and can be used with the strap out (to serve as a strap) or folded up and tucked into the case with the bin. I'll be ordering an ocular guard (maybe from Opticron) to protect the lenses and keep them dust free when the bin is cased, since they are only covered by a folded-over flap.
It is for these reasons alone I went with the Swaro CL8x25.
Superb case, rainguard, perfect strap.
Its always a compromise though..... smaller field of view, and double hinge.
A mix of both would be epic!!

I recently tried almost all the compact binoculars and the Zeiss Victory 8x25 came out on top and the Swarovski CL-P 8x25 was 2nd place mainly because I preferred the bigger FOV of the Zeiss and that big FOV is something that is missing in the other compacts including the Swarovski and the Leica's. The big problem I have with all the compacts and the Zeiss also is the eye cups because they are smaller and too short they usually go into your eye sockets too far and the eye relief is too long, so you get black-outs. If you can tolerate this, or you are ok with resting them on your eyebrows they are good binoculars, but they are still finicky compared to a good 8x32 or even 8x30. For eyeglass wearers I am sure the Zeiss Victory 8x25's are wonderful but not so much if you don't wear spectacles. I returned the Zeiss Victory 8x25 which I paid about $900 for and bought a like new Leica Trinovid BN 8x32. It isn't much bigger or heavier than the Zeiss, and it has a larger FOV, it is brighter, it is less finicky, has better build quality. better ergonomics and most importantly, I don't have to float it in front of my eyes to avoid black-outs. So for 1/2 the price I have a binocular that works better for me than the Zeiss Victory 8x25.

......... bought a like new Leica Trinovid BN 8x32. It isn't much bigger or heavier than the Zeiss, and it has a larger FOV, it is brighter, it is less finicky, has better build quality. better ergonomics and most importantly, I don't have to float it in front of my eyes to avoid black-outs. So for 1/2 the price I have a binocular that works better for me than the Zeiss Victory 8x25.
Dennis, I don't know how you can possible make a comparison! The Leica Trinovid BN 8x32 (I presume you refer to the old original model that you said in another post you had recently bought) is way, way bigger and heavier than the Zeiss! The Zeiss is designed, and is intended to be, a binocular that you can easily fold up and drop in a coat pocket or a small case, and take anywhere with you. Having had the old Trinovid years ago I know that it is in a totally different category. It's chunky, virtually non-pocketable, built like a tank, and heavy for it's size. It's complete nonsense to compare the two in the same breath, but I presume you do so just to draw the conversation back to your self-perceived all encompassing knowledge of binoculars.....

Last edited:
Leica Trinovid BN 8x32. It isn't much bigger or heavier than the Zeiss,
Weight of VP 8x25 290g, weight of Trinovid BN 3x32 625g. The Leica weighs more than double the Zeiss i.e. it is 216% of the weight of the Zeiss. Think you got a bit carried away with your enthusiasm there Dennis. Nevertheless, enjoy your BNs and don't be too quick to sell them.

Lee

Weight of VP 8x25 290g, weight of Trinovid BN 3x32 625g. The Leica weighs more than double the Zeiss i.e. it is 216% of the weight of the Zeiss. Think you got a bit carried away with your enthusiasm there Dennis. Nevertheless, enjoy your BNs and don't be too quick to sell them.

Lee
On the other hand, carrying the Zeiss unprotected is unadvised because it can have its diopter knocked off, and that huge case is larger than the Leica x32 and adds a bit of weight.

Did I hear anyone say "millionaire's opera glasses"?

Edmund

........The BN 8x32 only weighs 10 oz. more than the Zeiss Victory 8x25, and the unfolded size is about the same.......
So here we go again...... At the risk of flogging a dead horse I will try one more time..... As much as you try to put a spin on it Dennis, you just simply cannot compare the two. The ancient BN 8x32 you are referring is twice as heavy and much bigger than the Zeiss. The Zeiss is designed to be carried folded up in a small pouch and taken with you where ever you go, and not to be used specifically for a birding binocular that you would hang around your neck all day. Again it really is just so nonsensical to make the comparison....

@ Trinovid 8x32B
There's a reason I can no longer see his posts...

I can perfectly understand why you said this, and I have been very, very tempted to add him to my ignore list, but so far have refrained from doing so because:
  • reading his posts has given me some of the biggest laughs I have ever had on Bird Forum (not for the reason he would wish for of course), and secondly (and more importantly),
  • because I think someone should speak out against all the rubbish that he spouts. There are many people who visit this forum who don't have the experience you, I and others perhaps have, and are looking for genuine advice. I think we owe it to these people to inject a hard needed dose of reality into his conversations, so to speak.
As so to why he is as he is, well he is either trolling us, or is a real of a bore, or (more likely) very insecure and is just constantly seeking affirmation/confirmation of his views, opinions and purchasing decisions...... Anyway who knows and who cares really :) :) :).... I'm off to watch some birds!

...As much as you try to put a spin on it Dennis, you just simply cannot compare the two. The ancient BN 8x32 you are referring is twice as heavy and much bigger than the Zeiss. The Zeiss is designed to be carried folded up in a small pouch and taken with you where ever you go, and not to be used specifically for a birding binocular that you would hang around your neck all day. Again it really is just so nonsensical to make the comparison.... ...

gweller,
I'm in general agreement w/your overall point--that comparing the 8x32 BN to the 8x25 Victory is not an appropriate comparison in considering competitive products since they are not in the same category for overall size/carry parameters--but I would argue against the Zeiss not being a bin to keep around one's neck for birding all day. What is so amazing about the 8x25 Victory, in my experience, is that it is the first (and for me, only) pocket roof that performs so well optically and with respect to handling characteristics, that it is actually a valid choice under many conditions for serious (potentially all-day) birding. I appreciate larger format bins, so my bins of choice for most weekend birding and local trips are the Swarovski 8.5x42 EL SV late production pre-FP. I also consider the Leica 8x32 BN to be one of the greatest bins of all time and I adore the one that I own and which went with me on many adventure travels and birding around the world. But I don't use the Leica 8x32 much anymore (it only comes out sometimes for the sake of nostalgia). I also don't use my Leica 8x20 Ultravid BL much anymore (which, as you say, I used to carry folded in a pouch w/me everywhere). The performance of the Zeiss 8x25 Victory is so superior to the 8x20 Ultravid, and so very close to the 8x32 BN (in fact, better than it w/respect to eye-relief, focus speed, close focus, and color fidelity), that I now use it in place of both. Over the last few years, I've had ample opportunity to test it under critical conditions and it has never failed to perform and impress me. By replacing the Zeiss case w/a Nikon pouch, it fits into the same space and has nearly the same mass as my 8x20 when carried in its leather clamshell, and by putting on a nice neckstrap of my own construction, it carries/handles as well as the 8x32 BN (actually, better, since I can tuck it, while still on strap around my neck, into a front shirt pocket to keep it from getting in the way or getting damaged when e.g. juggling a camera and taking ground-level macro shots. I've always liked the view through the 8x32 BN, so when I first looked through the 8x25 Victory, I was stunned and pleased to find that its FOV, curvature of field, and low astigmatism characteristics are extremely similar. What a great bin.

Dennis,
Given your dismissive remarks about the 8x25 Victory as compared to the 8x25 Swarovski in the past, I'm glad to see you coming around. As you note, wearing glasses really improves the 8x25 experience for most uses, so I suggest that you ditch the heavy Leica 8x32 BN, get yourself a pair of nice lightweight glasses, and join the throng of satisfied 8x25 Victory users!

--AP

Lovely pics Dorubird.

I see a massive difference between a full sized alpha and an alpha pocket.

I love pocket binoculars and use them more than anything else simply because I always have them; but, a full size bino is a big step up. Especially in low light conditions.

I see a massive difference between a full sized alpha and an alpha pocket.

I love pocket binoculars and use them more than anything else simply because I always have them; but, a full size bino is a big step up. Especially in low light conditions.
Your statement is written in generic terms, so I have to ask, do you own or have you birded with the Zeiss 8x25 Victory?

I would agree w/you when it comes to premium 8x20 Swarovski, Zeiss, Leica bins vs full size. But the 8x25 Victory, with its superb optics, easy view, and wide FOV is a total game changer in my experience. It is categorically different than the 8x20 bins and crosses a performance threshold that makes it function more like a full-sized than a mini-bin for many uses.

Sure, in extremely low light, when aperture is everything, full-sized wins. And I do enjoy full-sized regardless.

--AP

....but I would argue against the Zeiss not being a bin to keep around one's neck for birding all day. What is so amazing about the 8x25 Victory, in my experience, is that it is the first (and for me, only) pocket roof that performs so well optically and with respect to handling characteristics, that it is actually a valid choice under many conditions for serious (potentially all-day) birding......

--AP
Hi Alexis,
I can understand were you are coming from and was not trying to denigrate the 8x25 at all. I have a Swaro 8x25 and to be honest I think it's one my most used binoculars simply because I take it with me nearly all the time - when walking the dog, on photography trips, during vacations, etc, etc. Dennis' idea that you could replace the Zeiss with the Leica seemed ridiculous to me as it ignored the fact that a compact binocular can be carried with you in all or more of the above situations. When/if I need to replace the Swaro I will definitely take a look at the Victory 8x25!!!

Your statement is written in generic terms, so I have to ask, do you own or have you birded with the Zeiss 8x25 Victory?

I would agree w/you when it comes to premium 8x20 Swarovski, Zeiss, Leica bins vs full size. But the 8x25 Victory, with its superb optics, easy view, and wide FOV is a total game changer in my experience. It is categorically different than the 8x20 bins and crosses a performance threshold that makes it function more like a full-sized than a mini-bin for many uses.

Sure, in extremely low light, when aperture is everything, full-sized wins. And I do enjoy full-sized regardless.

--AP

I did get to bird with the victory 8x25 for 4 days. Although it was on a trip where weight was an issue so I only had my Swarovski 8x20 to directly compare.

I didn't mean to be critical of it in my original post. I think Zeiss hit a sweet spot with the design. It is definitely larger and heavier than the old Swarovski 8x20 (and the similar sized UV 8x20), but it is still pocketable and half the weight of even a light 32mm. It also has a larger exit pupil and much higher performance than my 8x20 (I like the optics of my Swaro, but CA is evident.) It is definitely usable as a main birding bino. Whereas my 8x20 is superb for taking with me in the mountains or to tuck away unobtrusively when birding isn't the main focus, but I would never take it with me on a trip where birding was my main priority.

If given the choice, on most trips, I would still like a full sized bino though. My reasons would be: 1) I prefer 10x in most situations, I haven't used the 10x25 victory but there you are getting into pretty small exit pupil territory. 2) A 3mm exit pupil is quite dim at dawn/dusk 3) The victory has great AFOV for a pocket, but the extra few degrees from most full sized binos is something I enjoy. 4) I find a bit of weight steadies my view, although practice with pockets has made the difference a lot less.

I don't think we are too far off in our assessments. I do think they are a great binocular, and there are probably very few situations where one could honestly say they missed an ID that they would have had with a full sized alpha.

It is for these reasons alone I went with the Swaro CL8x25.
Superb case, rainguard, perfect strap.
The lack of decent accessories with the VP is irritating, but it shouldn't be fatal, as there are options available at moderate cost. Here is my set-up:

I keep everything together in an unused Maven hardcase (but plenty of other things would do the trick).
3F70D075-718C-4AE4-87B1-FB8790B76E1B.jpeg
C8E55FEC-A7D3-4B14-9A1D-736DC7C1A535.jpeg
I use the caps designed by other BirdForum members to protect the lenses when folded. My first time getting something 3D printed, but it wasn't difficult.
0C75EF6E-1925-401C-98CD-7B63AD3380A3.jpeg
This is the in-pocket carry set-up (or within a microfiber pouch if in an unsealed or dusty bag). The rainguard is from the Swaro CP. Took a tiny bit of sanding of the knobs on the inside of the caps to get the right fit. I also cut one of the loops on the rainguard so it'll go on and off the strap easily.
FE6EF428-8F03-4B52-8402-1CC2E0C6F521.jpeg
This is how they carry on my chest in actual use.
4ECE4A62-1721-41F6-8279-CD94EC6648E2.jpeg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back