• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Review of 8x25 Victory Pocket (2 Viewers)

The lack of decent accessories with the VP is irritating, but it shouldn't be fatal, as there are options available at moderate cost. Here is my set-up:

I keep everything together in an unused Maven hardcase (but plenty of other things would do the trick).
View attachment 1432827
View attachment 1432828
I use the caps designed by other BirdForum members to protect the lenses when folded. My first time getting something 3D printed, but it wasn't difficult.
View attachment 1432829
This is the in-pocket carry set-up (or within a microfiber pouch if in an unsealed or dusty bag). The rainguard is from the Swaro CP. Took a tiny bit of sanding of the knobs on the inside of the caps to get the right fit. I also cut one of the loops on the rainguard so it'll go on and off the strap easily.
View attachment 1432830
This is how they carry on my chest in actual use.
View attachment 1432833
Really nice setup Brummie!

You do realize that any hit to the diopter knob and your glasses are dead?

Edmund
An exaggeration considering only 2 people have reported the dioptre being displaced and one other reported his had come loose. That is 3 too many for sure, and everyone here is sorry for the problems you had Edmund, but there are many members who have been using Victory Pockets as a main binocular now for over 4 years and have not encountered this problem.

Lee

Last edited:
Is this true for all binoculars?
You do realize that any hit to the diopter knob and your glasses are dead?

An exaggeration considering only 2 people have reported the dioptre being displaced and one other reported his had come loose. That is 3 too many for sure, and everyone here is sorry for the problems you had Edmund, but there are many members who have been using Victory Pockets as a main binocular now for over 4 years and have not encountered this problem.
If the 3 reports follow some shocks for the diopter knob, it is good to know what kind of shock can do damage in order to protect the binocular: better case? no drop? et caetera

Victory 8x25 it is not a fragile binocular, I would say very robust one! But the diopter wheel can move involuntarily, especially when folded!

Good to now. Thank you.
I do not need to fold it, nor keep it in the pocket.
I want to retrieve it fast and also use it fast.

Ted,

I agree with dorubird, the VP is not fragile. Reported problems with the diopter, whether wandering or the knob popping off seem to be associated with use "in and out" of a case or pocket in the fully folded position. I use and store mine in my IP position which works for me and have never had a problem. Given your intended use I highly recommend the RYO harness.

Let us know how it goes.

Mike

Lee
Absolutely, taken mine through rough and tumble of trips into Africa, bumped them on occasion when crawling on the ground to photograph butterflies ..my experience is there have been quite the opposite of fragile.

Edmund repeatedly posts of the problems he had, but it really seems he was the exception, the vast majority of users have not found this at all.

Last edited:
The dioptre button moves on mine, not sure when, I have them round my neck.
That's annoying. I'd consider taping the dial down or something, but they are relegated behind my 8x32 conquests now.
There isn't much in it, but I think the 8x32s are slightly better, whilst maintaining the close focus.

Absolutely, taken mine through rough and tumble of trips into Africa, bumped them on occasion when crawling on the ground to photograph butterflies ..my experience is there have been quite the opposite of fragile.

Edmund repeatedly posts of the problems he had, but it really seems he was the exception, the vast majority of users have not found this at all.
You are quite correct, only a few users have posted on the forum that they lost the diopter knob.
The reason I advise people to take care with the diopter, as you know, is that in my case Zeiss did not perform a correct warranty repair, and my dealer was forced to step in and replace the binocular. So I think that users should not risk losing the diopter, as at best they will be without the binocular for some time, and at worst be faced with a lengthy warranty negotiation with a large company.
In my opinion, once the diopter starts moving on its own it means it is rubbing against the binocular body and will eventually fall off.

Edmund

Last edited:
Maybe but because it happened to me, I can say that I do not trust these binoculars anymore.
I never had such a problem with Leica in over 20 years. I'll see what happens with my Swaros.

Maybe but because it happened to me, I can say that I do not trust these binoculars anymore.
I never had such a problem with Leica in over 20 years. I'll see what happens with my Swaros.
Can't blame you for feeling this way pm and sorry you had this experience.

Lee

You are quite correct, only a few users have posted on the forum that they lost the diopter knob.
The reason I advise people to take care with the diopter, as you know, is that in my case Zeiss did not perform a correct warranty repair, and my dealer was forced to step in and replace the binocular. So I think that users should not risk losing the diopter, as at best they will be without the binocular for some time, and at worst be faced with a lengthy warranty negotiation with a large company.
In my opinion, once the diopter starts moving on its own it means it is rubbing against the binocular body and will eventually fall off.

Edmund
I am sure everyone is sorry for your experience but don't forget the problem that caused all the delays and arguments was damage to the binoculars caused by someone attempting a repair but not using the correct tools which is not covered by warranty.

Lee

I received the Zeiss Victory 8x25 to investigate. It is nice enlarged copy of the Zeiss 8x20B with very good handling properties and very good optical perfrmance. Does anyone know which Japanes company makes the 8x25 Victory for Zeiss? It is not mentioned on the binocular, it only says: Japan.
Gijs van Ginkel

When the owner is in Canada:
Is this model repaired / serviced in USA?
"The lifetime warranty is transferable and not limited by borders. Repairs are done in the US but we cover cross-border shipping and brokerage." (Gentec Service)

Last edited:
In addition to my post 657: The made in jJpan matter has been discussed before and it was written (I think by Dennis) that the Victory 8x25 is made by Kamakura, but I have not seen any evidence for it (I may have missed it ), so I am still curious.
Gijs van Ginkel

Users who are viewing this thread

Back