• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Review: Opticron Verano 8x32 (1 Viewer)

x32 binoculars are a particularly favorite format for me.

Interesting comparison pics, Steve.... looks like the Verano 32 has noticeably thicker armor (or thicker barrel walls?) and larger eye cups than the Traveler 32. And Opticron moved the focuser a bit farther from the eyepieces, which I think is a good move.

Taking your comparison of the Verano 32 to the Traveler 32, and then comparing my Traveler 32 to my UVHD+ 32 (8x and 10x versions are virtually identical in size)...
51468908620_ae34e71b7b_b.jpg

It appears that the Verano 32 also has noticeably thicker armor, and larger diameter & (possibly) deeper eyecups than the UVHD+ 32.

Verano 8x32 and UVHD+ 8x32 are virtually the same weight. Traveller 8x32 is about 2.7 oz. lighter.

If the Verano 8x32 can control glare nearly as well as the (much more expensive) Ultravid HD+, that would be quite an achievement. My only dislike of the otherwise quite enjoyable Traveller 8x32 is in glare control. UVHD+ 32 is my standard of comparison.

Last edited:
ZD

I do think the Verano has thicker armor. However I wonder if it could have larger prisms which might have altered the different eye cup design., I have also come to the conclusion that most 32 mm binoculars suffer from eye cup design compromises (sacrifices) than larger binoculars. Mostly due to eye cup extension issues and smaller eye cup diameter. The eye cups are a lot more comfortable than the Traveller.

Thanks Steve!

Those are some BIG eyecups! Looking at the photo, it appears the different in length between the Traveler and Verano is entirely in the eyecup length/size?

Definitely agree with ZD that the focuser being farther from the eyeballs is a good thing :)

Nice review Steve,....it does sound like optically the Verano is a step up from the Traveler and in regards to size etc...while larger, it is hardly noticeable I am sure in the field. Might have to trade in my Traveler:) .....
I am still testing Verano 8x32 for my review and it is undoubtedly a step up optics-wise from Traveller, but Traveller offers a different combination of talents and is still a very attractive choice.

Lee

I am still testing Verano 8x32 for my review and it is undoubtedly a step up optics-wise from Traveller, but Traveller offers a different combination of talents and is still a very attractive choice.

Lee
Nothing to disagree with there. The Traveller is indeed a nice glass. :)

Another thing I might note here. The Verano vs Traveller comparison has come up several times. If one were to hand one each of these to somebody and ask them...before they looked through them, which was the more expensive glass, I'd wager the answer would likely be the Traveller by a fairly substantial margin. The Traveller has more of the look of a polished surface and the Verano more of a rough cut appearance. One's dressed up for an occasion and one is ready to go to work. Sort of a white collar vs blue collar look.

Another thing I might note here. The Verano vs Traveller comparison has come up several times. If one were to hand one each of these to somebody and ask them...before they looked through them, which was the more expensive glass, I'd wager the answer would likely be the Traveller by a fairly substantial margin. The Traveller has more of the look of a polished surface and the Verano more of a rough cut appearance. One's dressed up for an occasion and one is ready to go to work. Sort of a white collar vs blue collar look.
I noticed in your images, the third one posted...that the Traveler has a more dressed up appearance and you are right. The Verano, almost looks 'unfinished'...rough. I sure it would hold up but the finish looks rough enough to catch dust and marks. No sure why they did that. The negative of the Traveler is a bit of glare and a tighter sweet spot,...otherwise, what a nice binocular for this $ category. I do like that the Verano is a bit 'larger' as I found these ultra-light bins to be too weightless. IE, Nikon HG, and even the Traveller to a degree. Keep sending any information you have as all is appreciated, jim

Lee
I would be interested to know how the Verano tests out against your Meopta Meostar. I know how the Traveller does as I did direct comparisons and while close, the Meostar had the edge in my thinking. But the Verano? Let us know, jim

I noticed in your images, the third one posted...that the Traveler has a more dressed up appearance and you are right. The Verano, almost looks 'unfinished'...rough. I sure it would hold up but the finish looks rough enough to catch dust and marks. No sure why they did that. The negative of the Traveler is a bit of glare and a tighter sweet spot,...otherwise, what a nice binocular for this $ category. I do like that the Verano is a bit 'larger' as I found these ultra-light bins to be too weightless. IE, Nikon HG, and even the Traveller to a degree. Keep sending any information you have as all is appreciated, jim
Yes the Verano does indeed catch dust. It gets a little more gray with use. I have no idea at this point if the textured finish, it is kind of like rough out suede leather, will smooth up with use. It is very tactile and would seemingly be pretty hard to drop even with cold, wet hands. It absolutely feels like a bigger handful of binocular than the Traveller.

Thanks Steve....am looking for a 8x32 that I can leave in the car for unplanned needs/country walks hence the interest in the image quality between these as they won't be my main birding bin.

Thanks for the view Lee. I have a 2nd hand pair of Verano HD on order now so look forward to getting them.

Yes... I noticed that in your photos - the Verano has sort of a rough, coarse look to it. Less-refined looking. It gives the appearance of not needing to be "babied", like it is made to handle rough and tumble action. Conquest HD 8x32 is that way (ample build, to withstand plenty of use), except the finish on the Conquest HD armor is much smoother, more refined looking. Seems like the Verano would give a very secure grip hold in the hand - I like that.

Last edited:
Yes the Verano does indeed catch dust. It gets a little more gray with use. I have no idea at this point if the textured finish, it is kind of like rough out suede leather, will smooth up with use. It is very tactile and would seemingly be pretty hard to drop even with cold, wet hands. It absolutely feels like a bigger handful of binocular than the Traveller.
Makes me wonder if use marks on the armor are more likely to appear, in time, where the coarse finish wears smooth in the most handled areas? Not a big deal, however.

Last edited:
Makes me wonder if use marks on the armor are more likely to appear, in time, where the coarse finish wears smooth in the most handled areas? Not a big deal, however.
Ah....it might add character/patina to the binocular. ....become a 'cult'.... jim

Thanks for the view Lee. I have a 2nd hand pair of Verano HD on order now so look forward to getting them.
I don't think you'd find a 2nd hand example of the model that's being discussed in this thread which is Verano BGA VHD, at least it's very unlikely. The Verano HD is a completely different product:

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back