• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Review: Zeiss Victory SF 8x32 (3 Viewers)

For those who want to compare technical details of the top quality 8x32 binoculars and the Swarovski NL pure 8x42, see:
houseofoutdoor.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/11/Test-new.Swarovski-NL-pure-8x42-and-Zeiss-Victory-SF-8x32-nov.2020.pdf
Gijs - the problem with this link is a hyphen/dash got swapped with a period between "Test-new" and "Swarovski". See the correct link below:

https://www.houseofoutdoor.com/wp-c...e-8X42-and-Zeiss-Victory-SF-8x32-nov-2020.pdf

One question -- I noticed you mentioned that the Swaro 8x32 SV EL was a 2012 model but "serviced in 2020, so it may well have the latest optics and coatings." Did you measure the transmission spectrum prior to and after service to see if there was an objective improvement in the coatings? I know you've done comparisons of older vs newer production of specific models before, just curious if you verified the "upgrade"!

Maybe Zeiss should have released the 32 first and then the 42, as the 42 created expectations that may have been excessive.

Of course those who want to buy into the reputation and the view of the 42 can just do some muscle conditioning and get the 42 :)

Edmund

Eitan,
Post 84,
I measured the spectrum after the update, so fresh from the company.
But I think that there are different test reports on the WEB-site of House of Outdoor with older EL 32's, so you can check these spectra. I would do it for you but unfortunately we are preparing for Sint Nicolaas and that requires more time and effort then binocular tests: surprises, witty poems etc..
Gijs van Ginkel

I have been using my SF8x32 extensively in a wild, coastal environment for a few weeks...
Congratulations on finally getting out there, Lee! I hope it won't be so long before you can do so again. And thanks for the report, I almost feel like I was there.

Congratulations on finally getting out there, Lee! I hope it won't be so long before you can do so again. And thanks for the report, I almost feel like I was there.
Thank you Tenex. It was wonderful, glorious, terrific and good for my health. Not so good was the car breakdown 250 miles from home or the break-in of our house we found when we (finally) arrived home......
Lee

Eitan,post 188,
Thank you for indicating my typing error, I completely forgot to say that because of all the Sint Nicolaas poems that have to be written and, not to forget, the production of phony presents.
Gijs van Ginkel

Maybe Zeiss should have released the 32 first and then the 42, as the 42 created expectations that may have been excessive.

Of course those who want to buy into the reputation and the view of the 42 can just do some muscle conditioning and get the 42 :)

Edmund
Edmund:
You know that all makers release the best and most popular size upon the introduction of a new model, and that means 42mm..

I find it unusual for Gijs, and others to jump up and down, and want to directly compare the Swarovski NL to the Zeiss 32 Sf.

They are both different animals, the sizes are different.......

Jerry

Jerry post 195,
I fully agree that it is unusual for Gijs to jump up and down in the five different test reports he recently published on th WEB-site of House of Outdoor. I asked for a meeting so I went to a mirror and confronted him with this question. He blushed a little and admitted: "yes Jerry is right, but you know both the NL's and the SF 32's are very difficult to get, so when you can get hold of them: grap them bij the bridge and keep them. And I did". And there was more he said: "to enter the laboratory in these Corona days to perform the necessary measurements is kind of arranging a moon landing, so take the chances when you get them and I did". But you mixed different types of binoculars in one report and that is mind torturing for BF readers I said and he answered: "yes but all these Birdforum readers are very clever persons and they are very capable and clever persons who like to compare and to compare and to discuss and use advanced equipment to split optical hairs". Yes I said, but you make it kind of difficult when you test 42 mm's, 32 mm's of different brands in one story and even more difficult when you add a fully unknown binocular brand like Angenieux to the report . He stayed silent for a moment and told me "yes, but it was so much fun and the very clever readers of Birdforum might enjoy it or throw it away". I nodded my head in disbelief and said good bye wishing him a Merry Christmas, and a Happy Ne Year. But he turned around and said "How about the arrival of Sint Nicolaas? " Ashamed I nodded and said again goodbye and the image disappeared. I have tried in vain to reach him again, so Jerry this is all I could get for you.
Gijs van Ginkel

Jerry post 195,
I fully agree that it is unusual for Gijs to jump up and down in the five different test reports he recently published on th WEB-site of House of Outdoor. I asked for a meeting so I went to a mirror and confronted him with this question. He blushed a little and admitted: "yes Jerry is right, but you know both the NL's and the SF 32's are very difficult to get, so when you can get hold of them: grap them bij the bridge and keep them. And I did". And there was more he said: "to enter the laboratory in these Corona days to perform the necessary measurements is kind of arranging a moon landing, so take the chances when you get them and I did". But you mixed different types of binoculars in one report and that is mind torturing for BF readers I said and he answered: "yes but all these Birdforum readers are very clever persons and they are very capable and clever persons who like to compare and to compare and to discuss and use advanced equipment to split optical hairs". Yes I said, but you make it kind of difficult when you test 42 mm's, 32 mm's of different brands in one story and even more difficult when you add a fully unknown binocular brand like Angenieux to the report . He stayed silent for a moment and told me "yes, but it was so much fun and the very clever readers of Birdforum might enjoy it or throw it away". I nodded my head in disbelief and said good bye wishing him a Merry Christmas, and a Happy Ne Year. But he turned around and said "How about the arrival of Sint Nicolaas? " Ashamed I nodded and said again goodbye and the image disappeared. I have tried in vain to reach him again, so Jerry this is all I could get for you.
Gijs van Ginkel
Hi Gijs,
I am attaching the pics of two ANGENIEUX binoculars: 7X30 and 8X24; the 7 X 30 are excellent binos, both are collector items that are rather hard to find. Yeah, the brand might be unknown to most members of the BF, but not to those who collect old(er) binos, particularly French ones.
On a different note, you have mentioned several times the poems that you had to write about Saint Nicholas and you made me curious: are you going to post any on the BF?
Peter

Attachments

• ANGENIEUX 7X30.JPG
    ANGENIEUX 7X30.JPG
    910.7 KB · Views: 15
  • ANGENIEUX _8X24.JPG
    ANGENIEUX _8X24.JPG
    820.8 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:
Not so good was the car breakdown 250 miles from home or the break-in of our house we found when we (finally) arrived home......
Lee
Hi Lee,
That's terrible, it makes me sad to hear that but I hope the loss was not considerable.
Best regards, Peter
PS. The image of your avatar has been distorted after the upgrade of the site, can it be fixed?

PeterPS, post 197,
Yes I know that the Angenieux's are very difficult to find and I regret that I did not buy the porro when is was available.
With regard to your remark "welknown at binocular collectors", I have attended meetings of the binocular history society in the past 20 years and not ever the brand was mentioned (or known) and when you read in the binocular history studies by for example Dr. Hans Seeger, Dr. Steve Rohan (passed away this week), Ulli Zeun or other well known authors in this field I was unable to find even a trace of Angenieux. The one I investigated here was bought in a camera shop and I wrote to the company in France asking for information about the binocular programme of the company and I received a bunch of papers, but only about these two models. There are however indications that another binocular was made, but that is surrounded by secrets/questions.
Gijs van Ginkel

Hi Lee,
That's terrible, it makes me sad to hear that but I hope the loss was not considerable.
Best regards, Peter
PS. The image of your avatar has been distorted after the upgrade of the site, can it be fixed?
Thank you Peter (and Tenex). Nothing was stolen, presumably the alarm scared them off but there is damage where the house was entered. My otter avatar has been cropped rather than distorted but I have now adjusted it a little so more of the otter's face is visible. Cheers Lee

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back