• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

RFI Cetacean spotting in northern Spain (1 Viewer)

pandachris

Our regular visit to Catalunya in September/October is going to have to change radically. We normally go for a week or more to enjoy several festivals and with luck do a bit of bird-watching. This year because the Concurs de Castells in Tarragona is right at the start of October we booked a longer break from 19th September to 6th October. The Concurs de Castells has already been cancelled and it's my expectation that the festivals will go the same way. We've got very little accommodation booked yet because we were waiting for dates to be confirmed, so we have a lot of flexibility.

With the obvious caveat that the endemic can change everything (including total cancellation) we're now re-planning to focus on wildlife. We'll probably revisit places we're already familiar with (the Ebro Delta, El Planeron, Lago de Gallocanto (we'll have a car)) but we'd like to see some new places too. Our experience of the northern coast of Spain is restricted to Bilbao, having done crossings on the old "Pride of Bilbao" for birds and cetaceans a few times but I'm wondering if anyone has any experience of whale and dolphin spotting from the north coast - either land based or from day boat trips? Any recommendations?

With the obvious caveat that the endemic can change everything (including total cancellation) we're now re-planning to focus on wildlife. We'll probably revisit places we're already familiar with (the Ebro Delta, El Planeron, Lago de Gallocanto (we'll have a car)) but we'd like to see some new places too. Our experience of the northern coast of Spain is restricted to Bilbao, having done crossings on the old "Pride of Bilbao" for birds and cetaceans a few times but I'm wondering if anyone has any experience of whale and dolphin spotting from the north coast - either land based or from day boat trips? Any recommendations?

You can try Cape Matxitxako for land based spotting. It's near Bermeo, where you can enjoy a nice meal as well, of course :)

There are several companies operating in the area offering boat trips for cetaceans and marine birds. I have no experience with any of them, but as far as I know they are good.

Santurtzi, 12 Km N of Bilbao:
http://verballenas.com

Bermeo:
https://www.hegaluze.com/es/

Thanks Borjam

The travel situation has changed considerably since my post but it's nearly two months away, so I'll keep an eye on things. Bermeo/Cape Matxitxako cropped up in my research so it's good to get a 2nd opinion.

I've calculated that, taking into account visits to the Ebro Delta, El Planeron, Lago de Gallocanto, three nights in Tarragona to meet friends and the final night close to Barcelona for an mid-morning flight, we have 8 nights completely unplanned. We've agreed we're going to remain in the northern part of Spain for the whole holiday. We know most of Catalunya outside the Costa Brava quite well for birding and have few target species, however we've repeatedly missed Wallcreeper and Alpine Accentor despite looking for them in several countries. Are there any recommended spots for either in Spain north of a line drawn from, say, Valencia to Madrid? Or should I ask on a more 'birdy' forum?

We know most of Catalunya outside the Costa Brava quite well for birding and have few target species, however we've repeatedly missed Wallcreeper and Alpine Accentor despite looking for them in several countries. Are there any recommended spots for either in Spain north of a line drawn from, say, Valencia to Madrid? Or should I ask on a more 'birdy' forum?

Not an expert, but I think that a good place for wallcreepers is Picos de Europa, a mountain range in Northern Spain (Asturias-Cantabria-Leon).

But I'm not sure about the best season to see them. I just know it's one of the best places.

Later in autumn and winter is presumably easier for Wallcreepers. I'll do some research. I've long wanted to see the Picos de Europa anyway :)

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back