• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

RFI: Freiburg, Koln & Bonn (1 Viewer)

Simon Wates

A dear friend of mine is off to Gemany on the 21st August for a couple of weeks - most of the time her husband will be in a conference so she will have plenty of time for birding - especially near to or within a day trip of Koln.

Of course its not the best time of year but can anyone suggest nice sites for species most interesting to people from the UK or sites with a good diversity of birdlife?

My friend also mentioned the Eifel National Park - would this area be worth a visit in mid/late August?

Any information most welcome - including links, publications or contacts with people on the ground who may be able to assist or even take my friend out?

Thanks in advance ;)

Simon

If she like ,I could ask a friend of me ,who has been a rescue station for wild birds....near by Cologne ,the rest of the month ,I have holidays and I can show her.

Hadn't noticed this before...

I gave some suggestions here: http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=231463
However, shrikes, warblers and most Honey Buzzards have left (although a good migration day could change that), so basically only woodpeckers are left. Anyway, the Wahner Heide would probably still be good. It's a large area so multiple trips are possible.
I have not been to the Eiffel and I guess it could be a frustrating search for birds there!

Rock Bunting and Cirl Bunting are possible in the vineyards just north of Rhöndorf near Bad Honnef (the area just north of Weinhaus Domstein is best). I must add that even my local Yellowhammers are impossible to find at the moment...

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back