• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

RFI: Lake Okeechobee ... kites ... skimmers .... (1 Viewer)

jimtfoto

Hi:
We're planning another visit to Florida in January and, along with the spots we normally photograph at, were wondering about the Lake Okeechobee Scenic Trail.
My understanding is that this is a more-than-100-mile trail on which vehicles are discouraged. Since we will be driving, does anyone know of a couple of access points to the Lake at which birding/photography might be more rewarding than at other points?
We are also looking at adding snail kites and skimmers to our portfolio. Anyone know of photographic hot spots for these species?
Cheers,
Jim

Hi Jim. I was in Florida last October and found very tame Black Skimmers at Merritt Island NNR. The best spot was just after crossing the Indian River and entering the island, where several birds sat among the fishermen.

In winter I have found the best location for skimmers to be on Dunedin Causeway, which lies between the mainland and Honeymoon Island (itself a birding hotspot on the right day). I have always found a medium-large group of skimmers roosting on the south side of the causeway very close to the concession that hires out surfboards or something. You can't miss the concession as it's the only thing on the causeway and you can't miss the birds because the shore is very narrow at this point, probably only 50-60 feet, and they are extremely approachable. The causeway is great for photography in general, since there is always a good range of shorebird and seabird species, all close and approachable.

Snail Kites - try Brinson Park in Kissimmee; just a couple hundred yards of lake frontage on a detached corner of Lake Toho, but good for kites (and always Limpkin in good numbers, too); otherwise, try the boat landings at other lakes off CR-523 (Canoe Creek Road), such as Lake Cypress, Lake Kissimmee (Joe Overstreet landing a very good bet) or Lake Marion/Marian. It would be surprising not to discover several Snail Kites in a day spread across those locations.

Don't know the Okee trail at all, but I do know that access/viewing generally is difficult on Lake Okeechobee, because the lake is effectively cut off behind a dam along much of its length.

We are also looking at adding snail kites and skimmers to our portfolio. Anyone know of photographic hot spots for these species?
Cheers,
Jim

As far as Okeechobee is concerned, there is a site called Lock 7 : Jaycee Park which has a large Black Skimmer flock in the parking lot.
You can get directions from the Great Florida Birding Trail, East section guide, on page 31.

http://www.floridabirdingtrail.com/guide.htm

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back