• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

RFI - Lamington NP / O'Reilly's (1 Viewer)

Colin Clark

Wishing I could get out more...!
Hey Queenslanders et al.
I've treated myserlf and my partner to 3 nights at O'Reilly's htis coming weekend. I've got a few target species that I cherry-picked from the eremea lists for Lamington and O'Reilly's (I realise some of them are extreme long-shots) but if anyone has any spots where I have the best chance that would be great.....
Paradise Riflebird
Marbled Frogmouth
Sooty Owl
Spotted Quail Thrush
Rufous Scrubbird
Rose-crowned Fruit-dove
Regent Bowerbird (should be Ok with this one..!)
And onto the long-shots....!
Blue-breasted Quail
Black-breasted Buttonquail
Red-backed Buttonquail
Barred Cuckoo-shrike

Thanks in advance.....

Lucky you! I suggest you join the early morning birdwalk first thing on your first morning and pick the brains of the local guides for likely sites. I think the birdwakl is free with the accommodation (and only $10 otherwise), and Regent Bowerbird is guaranteed (outside the reception area), and Paradise Riflebird a good chance.

I was there April last year (2013). If they have not moved on then the guides are Carmen and Duncan (*think* I have remembered their names correctly).

Carmen drew me a mud-map for Marbled Frogmouth whcih she had been hearing en route to the glowworm tour in the evenings. I had one night and dipped. Sooty Owl was heard outside the reception area one night, but beware there is also one kept in the aviaries for the birds of prey show.

Spotted Quailthrush are away from the rainforest in the Euclaypt forest back down the hill. Duncan explained that they used to have a reliable pair somewhere down one of the side roads, (only 4WD accessible, Duck Creek Rd??) but last year he had only seen one bird. I dipped on that too.

Rufous Scrubbird they will probably also have gen. I believe it involves a long walk (several km).

Cheers, Ian

Ian's advice is all pretty good I think - the guides were very helpful. I've been a couple of times, but don't have too much gen for you. The scrub-bird is found along the Border Track, the nearest habitat is about 6km walk from the guesthouse - I heard one in basically the first decent habitat, but wasn't especially close and I didn't see it. Tough bird

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back