• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

RFI - Paphos (December) (1 Viewer)

Richard G

My missus & I have just booked a 4 night stay in Paphos from 3rd December for a short winter break.

I'll likely have a day or so for birding and, as I've never been, was 1) wondering what to expect in that area & 2) are there any guides/companies who could take me on a guided day out?

Richard

I’m out there in early November, December might actually be better apparently as more chance of wallcreeper.

I’ve been trying to arrange something with this company. He’s been very helpful in emails. The website has a lot of trip reports from different months

Hope it works out for you. November and December are not the best time of year for endemics but there should be good stuff to see

Matt is a keen and experienced all round naturalist and excellent wildlife photographer. Finsch's Wheatear will also be not too far away along, perhaps also Blue Rock Thrush.

I’d love to see the Finsch’s. I’ve had a few good sightings of blue rock thrush this year but they’re amazing birds

Just a quick follow up to this one (as I'm sat on the balcony waiting to return home)

What a stunning day out I had with Matt this week. 63 species in the day including 12 lifers for me. Got all the targets I was hoping for (other than Black Francolin). Wasn't able to get to sites for Wallcreeper & Griffon Vulture due to time restrictions & closed roads.

Thanks for the recommendation & wi definitely book with Matt again if we come back to Paphos.

I had two great days with Matt, he not only finds the birds and sites but really makes it feel like a regular days birding, nice chat in the car and being ready to change his plans when he gets a better idea of your interests. We took a gamble on a site for Two Tailed Pasha that he hadn't originally planned on and it felt like real birding (and butterflying) seeing what the site turned up rather than just being taken somewhere to look at one certain bird through a scope.

We lucked out with a francolin flushed by traffic, that did seem to be a harder species to get. Think I ended up with every realistic target for the time of year (no wallcreeper for me either)

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back