• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS. Discover the fascinating world of birds, and win a birding trip to Columbia

RFI Scotch Argus Highlands (1 Viewer)

Darren Pearce

Hello I will be in the Highlands for 2 weeks from next weeks spending one week between Oban and Fort William and the next week near Inverness. I would like to see Scotch Argus. Everywhere I read says that they will be abundant and I will have no problem. Is this the case and are there any good sites where they will be guaranteed.

Any assistance appreciated

Thanks

James Hunter

Hi Darren - have'nt looked for Scotch Argus in Scotland, but if you are planning to break your journey up, Arnside Knott in Cumbria is very good for that species - best of luck
James

gradders52

Not sure I can help... I've seen then when I've yomped into the backend of nowhere (not quite, but up in the hills I've seen them, off the beaten track... rolling heather rather than on the mountains... you might get them around Glencoe, (lower slopes/hidden valley) but my sightings more north west, Achitibuie and Mellon Charles)... I'm sure you'll see them.... but what I was going to say is go prepared for the dreaded midges... nightmare! Look a pratt but a mossie head net a necessity. Various lotions and potions... some work some don't. (and depends on weather and conditions).
Good Luck

Marcus Conway - ebirder

Hi Darren

The nearest safe bet near Inverness is if you head up Strathconon. They can be seen easily along the road - sometimes several hundred.

Of all the Butterflies I have found them to be the most obliging and will allow you to get close and will often land on your hands if you have sweaty palms!

This one was taken up that way http://twitpic.com/2j22jp

The area is also good for DGFrit and Common Blue as well as Golden Ringed Dragonfly. A nice area for birds too - a bit like the Findhorn Valley, but nicer in my opinion.

You need to take the turn by Marybank and then continue for at least five miles - probably ten or more to get into the best butterfly area - past Loch Meig.

I would be more worried about Deer Ticks than midges if I were you.

Thanks, Marcus

Marcus Conway - ebirder

True - I get big swellings from the Clegs too. If I get them on my face can be quite unsightly!!

The Deer Ticks do carry Lyme that is about our most serious vector borne disease in the UK, well common one anyway.

(not if the midges go for you like they go for me.. no skin inbetween the bites!)[/QUOTE]

tystie

"Time is never wasted when your wasted all the tim
I was at Ballachulish a week ago and there were loads at a place just south of the Ballachulish Village there is a sign that says Loch side Cottages there are 3 prominent headlands all within a few hundred yards of each other all had Scotch Argus also Grayling a first for me ...Google map Ballachulish and you will see the area i am on about good luck

Capercaillie71

I saw loads at Creag Meagaidh NNR last August (at the bottom of the footpath up the mountain), which could potentially be on your route from Fort William to Inverness

http://www.nnr-scotland.org.uk/creag-meagaidh/visiting/directions/#carpark-map

I also saw a few last week in the Lossie forest on the Moray Firth.

I don't really think you'll need special sites though as it is such an abundant butterfly in the Highlands at this time of year (probably the most commonly seen species).

chris butterworth

aka The Person Named Above
If you dip in Scotland there were up to 50 in a c0.5km stretch at Smardale ( around the viaduct ) in Cumbria, yesterday. Might be worthwhile calling in on the way back ( if you're coming down the M6 )

Chris

ZEISS. Discover the fascinating world of birds, and win a birding trip to Columbia
ZEISS. Discover the fascinating world of birds, and win a birding trip to Colombia
ZEISS. Discover the fascinating world of birds, and win a birding trip to Colombia
Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread