• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

RFI Scottish odonata (1 Viewer)

Larry Sweetland

Formerly 'Larry Wheatland'
Planning a trip to the Highlands in early July in search of Azure Hawker, Northern Emerald, and Northern Damselfly. Any specific spots for these species (pins in maps or written directions), particularly in the vicinity of Loch Maree, Bridge of Grudie, and Loch Garten, greatly appreciated. Advice on tactics welcome too!

Thanks folks,

Larry

I’ve had success at the recognised sites; damselfly should be unmissable, the others require patience; I got the Hawker on a trip with Speyside Wildlife, and the Emerald with the BDS.

Planning a trip to the Highlands in early July in search of Azure Hawker, Northern Emerald, and Northern Damselfly. Any specific spots for these species (pins in maps or written directions), particularly in the vicinity of Loch Maree, Bridge of Grudie, and Loch Garten, greatly appreciated. Advice on tactics welcome too!

Thanks folks,

Larry
The damselfly is easy at Garten: the pool is on the right along the road to the reserve car park from the Boat of Garten end, there's room for a couple of cars to park right next to it. Nowadays there is a boardwalk they expect you to keep to instead of just plodging about where you like - progress I suppose.

I've seen Northern Emerald on the reserve, there's a tiny pool between the reserve car park and the Osprey centre that sometimes has them but obviously they whiz about. Equally obviously you can't just follow them where you like.... Bridge of Grudie is better from that point of view, I had excellent views years ago downstream of the bridge.

The only place I've seen Azure Hawker is Dog Falls in Glen Affric - a male basking on a wall literally by the road and a female on rocks in the river. Also years ago - pre-digital photography for me anyway - I need another visit!

Good luck

John

The pond at Loch Garten is at NH965192 on the road between Boat of Garten and the RSPB reserve. Look in the vegetation either side of the boardwalk. I've seen Northern Emerald in the woods between that pond and the Loch, although they're not guaranteed. Easiest way to explore the woods is probably to park at the RSPB site, cross the road to the loch and walk from there.

My one trip to Bridge of Grudie was a failure - it was a very dry summer and there was nothing about. I saw Azure Hawker and Northern Emerald by parking at the Beinn Eighe visitor centre (NH019630) and following a trail south-east-ish through the woods back towards Kinlochewe. Swarming with Azure and Common hawkers.

If you're not pushed for time, Uath Lochans is another place that gets recommended for Northern Emerald and I did see one there. It's a bit south of Boat of Garten. Probably better odds in the Loch Maree area, though.

Thanks guys, some really useful directions there 👍. I had no idea even that Northern Emerald was a possibility at Loch Garten! Do other emerald species occur there?

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back