• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Richard’s Pipit westward migration route (1 Viewer)

Colour ringing and geo localiser technology proving that some birds from the western edge of the breeding range now regularly undertake a longer distance western migration and have established a nice wintering spot on the Côte d’ Azur! A new westward migration route in an Asian passerine bird
Fascinating. Richard's Pipit has increased in Jersey from unrecorded to rare annual* migrant during my birding lifetime. I think the most I've seen in a single Autumn is seven. Sadly, this mirrors the downward trajectory of Tawny Pipit.

*Of course as I'm doing a local big year, not a single record so far in 2021!

Very interesting research!

However, is the increase of records of Richard's Pipit is a genuine increase of numbers of birds, or increased birders effort, especially knowledge of finding the species?

Just looking on Faune-paca.org and I see that one particular bird 'J25' is back for at least its fourth winter, that's a lot of kilometres flown in that time!

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back