• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Ringer in training (?!) (1 Viewer)

Hotspur

James Spencer
United Kingdom
Just started a biology with ornithology degree at Hull university and just started on learning to ring. This weekend i went mist netting in the woodland around Bishop Burton college in East Yorkshire. My tutor, Dr Graham Scott from university is an A permit holder and was giving us a run through on how ringing works, plus we were trying to apply Lincoln's Index to our retraps on Sunday. Trying being the operative word because of the 37 birds we caught on the Saturday a grand zero were retrapped on the Sunday. I was taught how to hold a small passerine and had the pleasure of holding Blue Tits, Great Tits, Long-tailed Tit, Marsh Tit (really easy to tell in the hand with Svensson) and Coal Tit. We also caught Robins, Chaffinchs, Wrens, Goldcrest and Blackbirds. I never knew quite how vicious Blue Tits are compared to everything else! Whilst holding the birds we were taught how to take wing length measurements, id and age most small birds. Graham and his wife Lisa showed us how to weigh and take other measurements of the birds and how to extract them from the mist nets. Was absolutely brillaint and even the most mundane bird becomes amazing in the hand. Taxonomy and topography makes much more sense on a bird in the hand!! Only drawbacks were the COLD mornings and slow starts as the tit flocks only got moving after about 9.30. We had a retrapped Robin from the previous year but i was amazed how many juveniles were about. Only one in 15 Blue Tits was an adult. On the sunday we got 44 birds which was good. Long tailed Tits flew into the net whilst we were removing the rest of their family. Hopefully within the month i am going to be taken on as a trainee by a ringer near York and i can apply for my trainee licence. Cant wait, was brill.

Sounds great. I loved my training to become a ringer (except the really early summer mornings in Scotland, where I trained). You learn a whole different aspect of ornithology when you get to see birds in the hand and for any serious bird research you will find the qualification a real necessity.

Tom

Try and get yourself on a ringing course - there's one at Gibraltar Point in August and one at Spurn in October.

Out of interest, how many Marsh Tits did you get, and did you age them (adult or 1st winter)?

Hotspur said:
I never knew quite how vicious Blue Tits are compared to everything else!

An Old English name for Blue Tit is Billy Biter.

Anyone who has ever been ringing will attest to the fact that this is a very appropriate name!

Hi James - I'm in the same position as you with regards to ringing. Have been out a few times and it iss a really good laugh as well as interesting. Its always suprises me how are Blue Tits can bite -I have a blood blister form one! Easy remedy for the cold mornings - layers, two pairs of socks and a large flask of coffee! Have you noticed how different some birds look in the hand?!

Absolutely, even the variation intraspecifically is amazing, stuff you just dont pick up when birdwatching. Sexing crests is easy in the hand. As is ageing tits. Ageing Wrens is a bit trickier ;)

Absoultely! Couldn't believe it when we caught one of this years blue tits and it had half adult and half juv pluage on its wing! Amazing. Have you seen a kigfisher in the hand yet? If not your really in for a treat!

early summer mornings & late winter nights are good, put a head lamp down on your xmas wish list, you will soon know why :)

Hi James,
I completed a BSc Ornithology at Bishop Burton. I also started my ringing career there. I am so glad that someone is continuing to ring there as I was under the impession that it had stopped. I take it you were at the main car park at Lodge wood. You should also try at Field 5 by the copse if they still have the winter bird cover crop there as it is full of yellowhammers and tree Sparrows, which given a few days of handing Blue tits are great.
Ps Blue Tits dont come anywhere near Rose-breasted Grosbeaks for biting power. Am still scared.

Ausable Bird Observatory said:
Try Pileated Woodpecker!

Then two days later, twelve RBGR in one 12m net, mostly females (extra attitude).

What I killer, you have my sympathy. Puffins are also a handful as the bite and scatch really bad.

Ade

Ade George said:
Hi James,
I completed a BSc Ornithology at Bishop Burton. I also started my ringing career there. I am so glad that someone is continuing to ring there as I was under the impession that it had stopped. I take it you were at the main car park at Lodge wood. You should also try at Field 5 by the copse if they still have the winter bird cover crop there as it is full of yellowhammers and tree Sparrows, which given a few days of handing Blue tits are great.
Ps Blue Tits dont come anywhere near Rose-breasted Grosbeaks for biting power. Am still scared.

Have just forwarded your ideas about ringing by field 5 to my tutor. I believe there are ideas to set up a CES in the woods at B.B. I did ring at the wood behind the car park but i believe the CES could be on the far side of the campus where there was an old arboretum with mature pines as well as broad leaves.

Ade George said:
Hi James,

Am I the only one here to have the utmost respect towards the Hawfinch?? :h?:

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back