• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Risso Dolphins Cornwall (1 Viewer)

Chris Oates

Why does a Black-headed Gull have a brown head...
Last years the Risso were off Penzance all summer - this year they have come around Lands End to St Ives - they are close offshore gorging on Cuttlefish tearing off the tentacles leaving the bodies to the Gulls.
Boatmen say it's chaos out there.

Hi John

I work on the Scillonian and last year we had more Risso's than ever before. probably a couple of sightings each week. So far this season only one sighting of 5 animals last Monday. Also last year they were occasionally in the bay at Penzance. I even got good photographs from shore and even saw one breaching from the deck as we were still tied up in the harbour!!

cheers
Paul

Are they still around/likely to stick around, Chris?

John

Question of food supply I suppose - they were around a day ago but the boats are stuck in harbour with gales at the moment so no reports.

The Boatmen didn't know what they were - an indication of how uncommon they are on the north coast.

Risso's Dolphins have been seen almost daily from Mousehole for the last two weeks. Some have got calves and if you're lucky with a high tide you can get great views from the land.

Risso's Dolphins have been seen almost daily from Mousehole for the last two weeks. Some have got calves and if you're lucky with a high tide you can get great views from the land.

Yep - Marine Discovery and Mermaid II are running trips to see them

Photo here

Also 200 Common dolphins on friday - the Commons and Risso seem to have made made Penzance to Wolf rock their home - the 10 Bottlenose range up to Newquay and were in St Ives bay last week.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back