• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

riu guanacaste (palace) mid trip review. please ask any questions (1 Viewer)

Steve_Halstead

Sparrow or Crow?
apologies on punctuation... written on kindle

I see a lot of questions from those coming. The same questions I had too. Let me answer them. I am writing this in the palace riu in guanacaste right now. just had my 30th here on the 8th and this is my honeymoon. lets see if I can help.

1 weather

its hot. it rains like a small drizzle here around 2pm but if you are up in the rincon or mirvalles, its heavier. ive had sun days by pool and amazing birding days around the area. no issue.

2 other wildlife (at the hotel)

olive ridleys turtle.. amazing butterlies. constant noise of cicada in a faint way. some nocturnal toad that can run. as I write this, a massive bat flew in to balcony next door. skunk ran through. fireflies spark in the night by the beach. iguanas roam free. massssssive bats but not abundant. shame. lepidopterists will love this area. howlers everywhere.

3 birds at the hotel. (sp. at hotel so far 24)

hoffmans woodpecker everywhere. 2 parakeet sp. m frigate bird. roadside hawk. the easiest black headed trogon ever, bless it. a resident brown peli... bout 2 pm each day. kiskadee and tropic king bird common place. cin and vent hummer available past monkey bar but also later in the day on the trail. rufous wren about. white ibis on path at times. (once so far) white lored fly catcher and collared eater there. streaked oriole is easy. common black hawk resident. elusive. inca dove line the road. walk up past monkey bar for smooth billed ani and squirrel cuckoo.

total list so far.... 97

Keep it coming

Loving the posts as I am there in september, can you let me know if you find a guide and how much they are. Looking forward to your next post

apologies on punctuation... written on kindle

I see a lot of questions from those coming. The same questions I had too. Let me answer them. I am writing this in the palace riu in guanacaste right now. just had my 30th here on the 8th and this is my honeymoon. lets see if I can help.

1 weather

its hot. it rains like a small drizzle here around 2pm but if you are up in the rincon or mirvalles, its heavier. ive had sun days by pool and amazing birding days around the area. no issue.

2 other wildlife (at the hotel)

olive ridleys turtle.. amazing butterlies. constant noise of cicada in a faint way. some nocturnal toad that can run. as I write this, a massive bat flew in to balcony next door. skunk ran through. fireflies spark in the night by the beach. iguanas roam free. massssssive bats but not abundant. shame. lepidopterists will love this area. howlers everywhere.

3 birds at the hotel. (sp. at hotel so far 24)

hoffmans woodpecker everywhere. 2 parakeet sp. m frigate bird. roadside hawk. the easiest black headed trogon ever, bless it. a resident brown peli... bout 2 pm each day. kiskadee and tropic king bird common place. cin and vent hummer available past monkey bar but also later in the day on the trail. rufous wren about. white ibis on path at times. (once so far) white lored fly catcher and collared eater there. streaked oriole is easy. common black hawk resident. elusive. inca dove line the road. walk up past monkey bar for smooth billed ani and squirrel cuckoo.

total list so far.... 97

Loving the posts as I am there in september, can you let me know if you find a guide and how much they are. Looking forward to your next post

there are guides on the beach, about 100 yards from the hotel. I am going with one monday to fincaverde. I will let you know the quality.

I did however book trips with naturaldiscoverycostarica.com or just google olivier esquivel.

I used a guide off the beach(with pink tshirts) on non birding trips. I did see some decent stuff on these and they have a decent basic knowledge.

However, if you are keen to see specific and difficult-to-see species, you really need to
use Olivier Esquivel. I had a list of key species & he went out his way to get as many of these as possible.

there are guides on the beach, about 100 yards from the hotel. I am going with one monday to fincaverde. I will let you know the quality.

I did however book trips with naturaldiscoverycostarica.com or just google olivier esquivel.

How did the guide from the beach go and what did he charge.????

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back