• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Rivulet or Small Rivulet (1 Viewer)

It seems we are divided on this one, in W&T it says hindwing on Small Rivulet only faintly banded, i guess i will just try and compare hindwings with any future Rivulets

Thanks

Dean

Dean

I remain of the view that this is a Small Rivulet. The double indentation is there if you look at the photos closely on both forewings and the hindwing supports the identification of Small Rivulet. If you have Skinner look at the illustration in the text on pg 40 which has a pointer to the relevant indentation. Plate 10 in Skinner also illustrates the hindwing difference as well as the double indentation.

I am intrigued by the reference in the text in Waring and Townsend to the potential of the presence of a double indentation in Rivulet but with the second indentation smaller. To me, the second indentation in the drawing in Skinner and Plate 10 as well as the photo in Manley (pg 138) all show uneven indentations in Small Rivulet.

Always happy to be educated!

All the best

Paul Chapman

Page 55 in Skinner 2009

My interpretation of the Waring text is the 2nd indentation in Rivulet is shorter....but smaller is open to misinterpretation since as you've pointed out they can be uneven in Small Rivulet...meaning one is larger and one smaller ;)

BTW agree with Small Rivulet

If you have Skinner look at the illustration in the text on pg 40 which has a pointer to the relevant indentation. Plate 10 in Skinner also illustrates the hindwing difference as well as the double indentation.

I am intrigued by the reference in the text in Waring and Townsend to the potential of the presence of a double indentation in Rivulet but with the second indentation smaller. To me, the second indentation in the drawing in Skinner and Plate 10 as well as the photo in Manley (pg 138) all show uneven indentations in Small Rivulet.

Always happy to be educated!

All the best

Paul Chapman

Flash individuals with recent editions. Page 40 in the 1984 Edition. I bet that you haven't even had to write in Irish Annulet in yours! (Must buy myself a more recent edition.)

All the best

Paul Chapman

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back