• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Roadside Find. Carl Zeiss Jena 6x24 (1 Viewer)

rdnzl

Not Sure.
United States
I found these today in a pile of "Free" stuff alongside a curb. They are Carl Zeiss Jena, and I think it says "D.F. 6x24" on the right side, with a serial number that is only partially visible. There is a number on the front, "No.1001996.

They were pretty dirty, but after I cleaned them up, I was surprised to find almost perfect optics. No scratches on the glass, and only the very smallest amount of dust internally. They have a rangefinding reticule on the left side. The individual focusers were a littlle stiff at first, but now they are fine. The eyecups have no chips or cracks. The overall finish it pretty worn off, but they are structurally very sound.

The views are pretty nice. I am surprised by these.

Can anyone tell me more about this model? I won't be selling them, they are pretty cool little bins, but are they worth anything? When were they made?

Thanks in advance for any info you may have.

Attachments

• D3xUJA9.jpg
    D3xUJA9.jpg
    305.7 KB · Views: 67
  • b30BPp4.jpg
    b30BPp4.jpg
    112.1 KB · Views: 42
  • SWqOBqW.jpg
    SWqOBqW.jpg
    317.5 KB · Views: 28
  • U048wlW.jpg
    U048wlW.jpg
    160.9 KB · Views: 56
  • uuByIGS.jpg
    uuByIGS.jpg
    241.7 KB · Views: 35
Hello rdnzl,

The are WWI German military binoculars, maybe 1918. The "D.F." means dienst fernglas or service binocular. The are far from valueless but I would guess less than US$100 in that condition. German officers had to buy their own binoculars; NCO's were issued a Gallilen binocular: fernglas 05.

You have a true nice find. I have a similar one, which was cleaned by an optical technician who was impressed by its resolution. I note that in a century the greatest advances in binoculars have been in coating.

Stay safe,
Arthur :hi:

Hello rdnzl,

The are WWI German military binoculars, maybe 1918. The "D.F." means dienst fernglas or service binocular. The are far from valueless but I would guess less than US$100 in that condition. German officers had to buy their own binoculars; NCO's were issued a Gallilen binocular: fernglas 05.

You have a true nice find. I have a similar one, which was cleaned by an optical technician who was impressed by its resolution. I note that in a century the greatest advances in binoculars have been in coating.

Stay safe,
Arthur :hi:

I see Arthur beat me to much of it. But here is what I had prepared.

From a quick look through Hans T. Seeger’s Feldstrecher, it appears to be a Telex or Telexem from late 1918 or early 1919. Considering they had center focus instruments long before that, I would say it was a military instrument used in the first world war.

6x24s (individual focus) from that time period were also made by Emil Busch and Rodenstock.

But I just fix and collimate these things and left the history to others. My History Degree is 19th Century American ... not binocular. :cat:

Bill

Thanks guys. They are a nice bin. Small but they still work well in my large paws. They lack a little contrast, but overall, pretty nice views. I like finding free stuff that still works. I seem to get on lucky steaks, so maybe I'll find something else soon.

I see Arthur beat me to much of it. But here is what I had prepared.

From a quick look through Hans T. Seeger’s Feldstrecher, it appears to be a Telex or Telexem from late 1918 or early 1919. Considering they had center focus instruments long before that, I would say it was a military instrument used in the first world war.

6x24s (individual focus) from that time period were also made by Emil Busch and Rodenstock.

But I just fix and collimate these things and left the history to others. My History Degree is 19th Century American ... not binocular. :cat:

Bill

Bill:
I am wondering if you have now hung your shingle ?
For those wondering, that means are you taking on repair work.

Jerry

The are WWI German military binoculars, maybe 1918. The "D.F." means dienst fernglas or service binocular.

Hi,

I beg to disagree, the D.F. (or DF in current german military bins) stands for Doppelfernrohr or double telescope.

Joachim

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back