• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Robin nesting in car grill (1 Viewer)

Lynnester

United Kingdom
Hello. I am looking for help. I noticed 2 dead baby birds, no feathers just some fluff. They were on my drive and I noticed them when moving my bin. I was perplexed about where they were from.
I then drove out to see a friend yesterday and returned some 4 hours later.
I parked and within seconds a robin appeared and went to the front of the car.
On getting out it flew off but I observed from inside house and it returned with a worm.
I then went out and saw there was a nest and it explained where the babies had come from although my car had not been in that parking space for a week. (I have two and depends on my direction of travel which one I use)
I need advice as obviously I will need to use the car again. (Not until I am sure it is safe to)
Do robins bring food if there are no live babies in the nest?
I have seen it a few times more today bringing worms.
(Am not watching constantly)
Any advice welcome

Attachments

• 20210504_115325.jpg
    20210504_115325.jpg
    6.7 MB · Views: 11
Hard to say what's going on. I would assume there is still one or two babies somewhere in the car and the parent is still feeding them. If there is still one or two perhaps it won't be much longer before they fledge out of the car. Please keep us posted on this.

Hi there and a warm welcome to you from those of us on staff here at BirdForum (y)
We're glad you found us and thanks for taking a moment to say hello. Please join in wherever you like ;)

Welcome to Birdforum! I am sure that you will find lots to interest you here and I hope you enjoy your visits.

The robin won't bring food to the nest once it is empty. Robins take about 14 days to fledge so maybe you could use other car for the next fortnight?

Hi Lynnester and a warm welcome from me too.

If they're as busy as that bringing food in hopefully it won't be too long until they fledge. Please let us know how they get on.

They generally have more than one brood, though, so perhaps you might need to discourage them from nesting in there again. Have a look for some suitable nest boxes, both the RSPB and CJ Wildlife have a selection.

I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I hope to hear about all the birds you see when out and about.

Hi Lynnester and a warm welcome from me too.

If they're as busy as that bringing food in hopefully it won't be too long until they fledge. Please let us know how they get on.

They generally have more than one brood, though, so perhaps you might need to discourage them from nesting in there again. Have a look for some suitable nest boxes, both the RSPB and CJ Wildlife have a selection.

I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I hope to hear about all the birds you see when out and about.
Looks like I was wrong, I now know that the female is sitting on some more eggs she must have laid after the baby birds fell out before. It is her that is being fed hence no sound when up close. Going to have to wait a bit longer before I can cover the car. Timing is going to be everything.

Mmmm.... seems you might need to wait a bit longer then Lynnester.

Good luck - I hope it works out OK. Please let us know what happens next.

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back