• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Rock Pipit (UK) - littoralis vs petrosus (1 Viewer)

GMS

Saw three Rock Pipits today, 2 of which were looking like standard petrosus birds (see picture 1; breeding site just under 1 mile away). Looking at the other pipit I initially thought I was looking at a Water Pipit because it was well marked and grey at the back. It turned out to be another Rock Pipit though. I was wondering if this is a littoralis Rock Pipit or still within the variation of nominate petrosus. Pics aren't great and I had to lighten/darken a bit but would appreciate some advise.

Attachments

• 5189 Rock Pipit.jpg
    5189 Rock Pipit.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 86
  • 5167.jpg
    5167.jpg
    204.9 KB · Views: 61
  • 5207.jpg
    5207.jpg
    136.8 KB · Views: 60
  • 5232.jpg
    5232.jpg
    102 KB · Views: 61
  • 5235.jpg
    5235.jpg
    107.5 KB · Views: 79
The first bird looks like petrosus but the other four photos -not sure how many different birds they cover - could all be littoralis. None of them particularly well-marked individuals though.

Paler ground colour to the underparts, greyish tone to the mantle.

Steve

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back