• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Roger Vines Meopta 7x50 Review (1 Viewer)

Ontario

Canada
http://scopeviews.co.uk/Meopta7x50.htm

The View

The view is, honestly, just fantastic – much better than I was expecting. One of those actual ‘oh, wow!’ moments. I sometimes don’t like lower power bino’s, but I really like these.

The huge eye relief, depth of field, good brightness and high resolution just give these an easy, comfy view like walking closer. It reminds me a bit of the original Nikon HG and is probably the best I’ve seen in a 7x binocular. Good brightness? Yes, despite the lacklustre transmission figure of 88%, these do have a bright view during the day (those big objectives only help brightness in very low light).

Focus snap is really excellent, especially given the low power and indicates top optical quality. Depth of field, typical of lower powers, is outstanding too. Colours are vivid and natural, without the excess warmth I’d been led to believe.

I enjoy Roger's reviews! Always telling what one needs to know....lots of field experience which I find which matters a lot to me. One thing I especially like is he doesn't throw the baby out with the bath water that is frequently done by a few.

Personally, I'd like to try a few more Meopta binoculars. I have the 7X50 and the 7X42 Meostars and have owned a couple of 8X32s, all nice binoculars. In particular I'd like to try the 8X42, 10X50, and the 8X56. I'm pretty sure I would find that they are very comparable to the ones I use now.

The view is, honestly, just fantastic – much better than I was expecting. One of those actual ‘oh, wow!’ moments.

Good brightness? Yes, despite the lacklustre transmission figure of 88%, these do have a bright view during the day (those big objectives only help brightness in very low light).

In view of recent statements here on BF that with Schmidt-Pechan prisms very high transmission goes at the expense of very high contrast, and vice versa, the quote above makes me think Meopta went for contrast. And I think that's a very smart choice. I'm curious to try these myself one day.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back