• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

ROLLEI 7 x 42 GA (1 Viewer)

rescuediver

Hello Buddies,

has anyone of you made some experiece with these binoculars???

As far as I know they are as well produced by the following producers:

"AVIMO" 7x42 for BRITISH SPECIAL FORCES and by the Russian optical armaments company "BELOMO" for SPETZNATZ...

Here comes some further description that I found on ebay:

"An exact copy by the Russian optical armaments company 'Belomo' based in Bellarus. This is a very high quality military glass made to withstand the harshest treatment from the deserts of Afghanistan to the Artic wastes.

This is a true military binocular made by one of the suppliers of optcial armament technology to the Russian military. I imported this pair from 'Belomo' the Russian manufacturer, they are likely to be the only pair in the United Kingdom!

Avimo a UK company made high quality 'fixed focus' binoculars for the British ministry of defence. They became a favourite of the SAS and other special forces units. Robust and with the fixed focus ability to pick out distant objects without the need for focus adjustments made these quick to use and very useful on active operations.

Some years ago, Avimo licenced the model to Rollei of Germany who produced the binocular in a rather high tech 'suit' clad in aluminium and stainless steel. These retailed in Germany for a massive 900 euros! (see final photo in the series attached).

I spoke with the marketing director of Avimo a few weeks ago and informed him of the new production run from the Russian armaments manufacturer and he was not entirely surprised since it was apparently well known that the Russian military were interested in their model for use with their own special forces.
___________________________________________________________________________________________

Nitrogen filled and armoured, totally immersion waterproof, these would make an excellent glass for the professional user such as stalkers, hunters or safari managers. An absolutely top quality binocular which will last a lifetime of hard work!

Please note that some of the finest hand held binoculars in the world are of the 7x42 configuration, steady in the hand, with big exit pupils and superb low light capabilities.

Their look is of a 'head turning', unusual design; a 'cranked' porro prism which sits nicely in the hand and is perfectly balanced. Their military origin is immediately apparent.

The binoculars ar band new and unused and are complete with a hard leather case and operators leaflet (in Russian!!).

Please note that the photograph of the Rollei model is simply to illustrate this particular model, mentioned above. This photograph is the black and white final one in the series. These are NOT the binoculars for sale!"

Shall I buy it or let it be???

I am fascinated by it´s unique design an the fact that I will not have to fold the ocular rubber when using it with sectacles :t:

Thanxx for your statements :eat:

Jörn

All Russian binoculars have a yellowish tint. Some like this, some hate it (i hate it). Those look solid. They are fixed focus, you will most probably see distant objects, but you will not be able to focus on something as close as 40 meters. Pricewise, i would add $100 and get a Fujinon.

Hello Otto,

thank u for this info.

But please notice that these binoculars were not ONLY produced in Russia, the one I´m speaking of was produced by ROLLEI in Western Germany.

As well they were produced in Great Britain by AVIMO.

But I really don´t know who took the license from whom, sorry.

At the moment I use a STEINER Navigator II with compass and when I don´t need a compass I take my polish PZO with me.

I don´t like focusing on changing distances, so I only choose models with "auto focus".

I know that they will only work from a special distance onwards up to eternity, but things in not too far distance doesn´t interest me too much...I use the glasses almost only in maritime surroundings, so they have to be waterproof, shockproof and rugged.

I just want to collect different glasses and want to buy some others with these parameters.

rescuediver said:
But please notice that these binoculars were not ONLY produced in Russia, the one I´m speaking of was produced by ROLLEI in Western Germany.

As well they were produced in Great Britain by AVIMO.

But I really don´t know who took the license from whom, sorry.
I don´t like focusing on changing distances, so I only choose models with "auto focus".

Yes, a model manufactured in 3 countries, but remember that lenses were also manufactured in 3 countries.
IFrom what you describe, those binoculars are what you want. I have never seen a pair... Note that on e-bay, you may find those for a bit less $.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back