• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Romania - Ficedula Flycat. (1 Viewer)

Valéry Schollaert

Respect animals, don't eat or wear their body or s
Not my photo (shared with permission), Carpathian Mountains this month.

Is that identifiable despite poor quality ?

Thanks

Attachments

• ficedulaBF.jpg
    ficedulaBF.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 139
Semi-collared? The extensive white in the tail counts against Collared, though the wing pattern perhaps fits that better.

Thanks for replying ! Few people do, obviously... :cat:

It is an unlikely option I guess, but I don't know, this is why I ask for help !

Collared Flycatcher for me, the extensive white to the whole edge of the outer rectrices, and the not insignificant amount to the tertials, which appear to be a better match for CF imo?

Cheers

Collared Flycatcher for me, the extensive white to the whole edge of the outer rectrices, and the not insignificant amount to the tertials, which appear to be a better match for CF imo?

Cheers

That what I replied to the photographer, but I needed confirmation. Thanks for your comment, I hope to have a couple of more ! :t:

Hello,
European Pied for me, for two reasons :
- the extension of the white on the outer rectrices,
- the narrowness of the white spot of the primaries.
Friendly
Jean

Hello,
European Pied for me, for two reasons :
- the extension of the white on the outer rectrices,
- the narrowness of the white spot of the primaries.
Friendly
Jean

Thanks Jean ! Three replies, three different species, ah ah.

The bird is juvenile, right ? Isn't the white spot on primaries big for a juvie European Pied ?

Yes, a young bird.
Maybe a young male, but it's hard to see the base of the tail.
The distance of the white of the primaries from the edge of the wing is in favour of European Pied.
And its importance may come from sex.

Why are you sure it is a juvenile? The quality of the picture is not good enough to judge the tertial pattern IMO. I was looking at this bird several times and decided that I wouldn't dare to ID it based on this photo.

Why are you sure it is a juvenile? The quality of the picture is not good enough to judge the tertial pattern IMO. I was looking at this bird several times and decided that I wouldn't dare to ID it based on this photo.

I though the thin, dashed second wing bar was quite typical of a juv, but I'm not sure. I'm dumb with Ficedula flycatchers.

the second bar (tips of median coverts) occures in all plumages of semicollared and can be present in juveniles of all 3 taxa discussed above. personally I think this is a juvenile collared flycatcher which also would be the default sp. in the carpathians. pieds occur everywhere on migration but they're not yet on the move in romania. as Roland i'd prefer to have a better pic of a bird of this highly difficult group but the patch on the base of primaries looks too large for a juvenile pied even though it doesn't reach the outer margin of the wing. Semicollared does breed in romania since about a decade but it prefers lowland forests close to the danube. i think a juv of this rare sp. getting up into the carpathians is highly unlikely.

the second bar (tips of median coverts) occures in all plumages of semicollared and can be present in juveniles of all 3 taxa discussed above. personally I think this is a juvenile collared flycatcher which also would be the default sp. in the carpathians. pieds occur everywhere on migration but they're not yet on the move in romania. as Roland i'd prefer to have a better pic of a bird of this highly difficult group but the patch on the base of primaries looks too large for a juvenile pied even though it doesn't reach the outer margin of the wing. Semicollared does breed in romania since about a decade but it prefers lowland forests close to the danube. i think a juv of this rare sp. getting up into the carpathians is highly unlikely.

Thanks very much Lou, I'm glad of your answer.

Thanks all !

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back