• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Ross's Goose & a hybrid? - Georgian Bay, Ontario, Canada (1 Viewer)

osbirder

I saw 2 white geese on Nov 7, 10, 15 and 18, 2016 on Georgian Bay in Ontario, which I thought were Snow Geese until I saw the closer-up photos I got of them on Nov 18. Neither looks right for a Snow Goose. The smaller one might be a Ross's Goose but I'm not sure, and the larger one possibly a hybrid (maybe with a domestic goose since the bill appears all orange).

I have some photos, some of which show the size compared to Greater White-fronted Geese, Canada Geese and Mallards.

I was wondering if anyone knew for sure what they are.

Attachments

• ross1.jpg
    ross1.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 91
  • Ross6.jpg
    Ross6.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 59
  • Ross7.jpg
    Ross7.jpg
    24.2 KB · Views: 45
  • Ross8.jpg
    Ross8.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 69
  • Ross9.png
    Ross9.png
    296.4 KB · Views: 77
Last edited:
From the first pic - I'm thinking the left bird is a Ross's, perhaps a 1st-winter from the dull bill colour (though the whiteness of the plumage doesn't support that well!), while the right bird looks a bit bigger, and has a fine black 'grin' line, so maybe a Ross's x Snow hybrid?

Don't think there's any domesticated goose influence here, that would result in a much larger hybrid, easily Canada Goose-sized.

Thank you very much. I was hoping the smaller bird was a Ross's Goose. It was less white than the other goose which would suggest a 1st winter bird like you said.

I agree with Ross's. AFAIK, white juvenile Ross's are much whiter than juvenile Snow. In this case the small bill does look dark which would confirm it's age as juvenile.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back