• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Rough-legged Buzzard? Berlin, Germany (1 Viewer)

McHeath

Is this a Rough-legged Buzzard? Seen gliding fast in large circles at a fair height over allotments and a wooded cemetery in Berlin, Germany.

Buzzard1 cemetery.jpgBuzzard2 cemetery.jpgBuzzard3 cemetery.jpgBuzzard4 cemetery.jpg

I´m a bit confused by the white rump; is this a normal variation? Or are we looking at something else here?

Many thanks in advance,
Andrew

Hello Andrew,
first impression was: its a Common Kestrel. Long tail, narrow, kinked wings with sharp wingtip and shape of the body.
After enlarging the picture, I saw, that details are hard/ impossible to judge, but:
  • pale tail with a single dark band at the end
  • buffish-orange underparts
  • paler underwing
Conclusion? I see nothing wrong for a Common Kestrel and shape is better than for others Falcons (Peregrine, Hobby, Merlin, RFF)

Edit: can I exclude a male Merlin with 100% confidence with these pictures (no offense!): No, but maybe others can?

I'll accept Kestrel then! It looked to be bigger, but it was ca. 200m distant and my view was constantly being blocked by trees; the sun was also right behind me, probably making it look a lot whiter than it actually was.
Many thanks to all for your quick help!
Andrew

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back