• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Rough-legged buzzard? Lancs, UK (1 Viewer)

ColinD

United Kingdom
I'd be interested in opinions about this bird which I photographed as it was being mobbed by crows. The carpal patch and pale head look good for adult (female?) rough-legged buzzard to me, but I see relatively few rough-legs and most of those I do see are juveniles. What do you think?

Attachments

• buzzard2.jpg
    buzzard2.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 172
  • buzzard3.jpg
    buzzard3.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 184
  • buzzard4.jpg
    buzzard4.jpg
    116.4 KB · Views: 108
To me, the overall structure seems more consistent with that of a Common buzzard, than a Rough-legged buzzard: The neck seems long for a Rough-legged buzzard; the body does not seem as 'rounded' as that of Rough-legged buzzard either. I think the throat, breast and belly colors are not sufficiently contrasted either. My thoughts :)

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back