• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Route from Narewka to Bialowieza (1 Viewer)

Warixenjalka

Birdwitcher
Finland
I'm planning a travel route to Bialowieza. I try to look at this road (look pic) from Google streetview, but it doesn't "exist" there. Question is can I drive through this route or is it part of strictly protected area (therefore closed by gates)? This road seemed more interesting than the road through the Hajnowka. And it is shorter too.

Wielkie dzięki dla odpowiedzi.

Attachments

• Narewka-Pogorzelce.PNG
    Narewka-Pogorzelce.PNG
    47.6 KB · Views: 180
It's a dirt track through the managed part of the forest. Driveable, feel free to use it. But nothing wrong with the route through Hajnowka.. it also goes through the forest, same distance, just the tarmac surface is different. Looking back I think we have seen equal numbers of wildlife on both routes.. I can also recommend a detour through Budy , Teremiski and Pogorzelce. Wolves, Lynx and Bison seen there many times on our tours.

I'm planning a travel route to Bialowieza. I try to look at this road (look pic) from Google streetview, but it doesn't "exist" there. Question is can I drive through this route or is it part of strictly protected area (therefore closed by gates)? This road seemed more interesting than the road through the Hajnowka. And it is shorter too.

Wielkie dzięki dla odpowiedzi.

... some distance West of the strictly protected area.

Given Poland's current total disregard for any norms of behaviour in regard to conservation of Bialowieza (and in quite a number of other non-conservation areas too), I would doubt the accuracy of the term 'strictly protected'.

These days, Poland disgusts me - though only 150 km from me to the border, there is no way I will visit any time soon.

Jos, I've read of those wood cuttings. And if I understand correctly, the policy had something to do with it. Not so much to insects, which they have blame.
The political climate in Poland goes just the wrong direction. It seems that Polish leaders have adopted the model of Turkey's leaders. Which again is taken by the model state in one of Finlands eastern neighbor management style... And there is many other examples all around the world. :-C

By keep going in places like Bialowieza we tell the Polish policy makers, that nature is worth more untouched. Ofcourse if they keep on cutting woods and other nature destruction turists will eventually stop bringing money. Certainly a big part to Polish understands that - especially in places where people get most of their living by nature tourists.

Last edited:
The political climate in Poland goes just the wrong direction. It seems that Polish leaders have adopted the model of Turkey's leaders.

By keep going in places like Bialowieza we tell the Polish policy makers, that nature is worth more untouched.

In regards to conservation and several issues unrelated to conservation, Poland is walking totally backwards ...it joins a very small list of countries that I will not visit for the near future, but I also agree with you, that on the conservation angle, visiting Bialowieza is worthy for sending a message that it is important.

My problem is that I disagree with far more than this :) so just can't bring myself to cross their border.

This route is dirt track, fine to drive. And good for wildlife watching, if there is no sign barring entry.

However, conservationists in Białowieża at some point closed this road to non-locals and non-foresters on account, that it brings disturbance and promotes road kills of wildlife. The road may currently be closed, may be open, may be formally closed but nobody will care, may be penalty-hunting forestry car in the middle.

Just in case, wildlife poaching local hunters and huge forestry machinery are allowed. And driving all the circular way through Hajnówka is actually more km through the forest and therefore promotes more disturbance and roadkills. And this stupid decision was made during one of previous governments.

BTW, politically Białowieża is famously voting for communists. Among others, a former top-apparatchik owns a villa in the forest. So politically, you should feel fine in Białowieża in particular. ;)

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back