• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

RSPB Middleton Lakes (2 Viewers)

Here's a picture of the Cattle Egret from Thursday afternoon. It was on the pool to the north of the West Screen on Jubilee Wetlands. It only hung around for about 25 minutes after I found it and then flew west over the canal. I tried but couldn't relocate it.

Attachments

• RSCN3616.jpg
    RSCN3616.jpg
    202.5 KB · Views: 66
Here's a picture of the Cattle Egret from Thursday afternoon. It was on the pool to the north of the West Screen on Jubilee Wetlands. It only hung around for about 25 minutes after I found it and then flew west over the canal. I tried but couldn't relocate it.
Nice one Steve, I must have just missed it, did a brief visit that afternoon and it looked dead so I went up to Kingsbury WP instead, typical.
However today I've seen 2 Cattle Egret and a Long-billed Dowitcher near my caravan at Saltfleet so not too bad.

Nice one Steve, I must have just missed it, did a brief visit that afternoon and it looked dead so I went up to Kingsbury WP instead, typical.
However today I've seen 2 Cattle Egret and a Long-billed Dowitcher near my caravan at Saltfleet so not too bad.

2 and a LB Dowitcher eh? Very nice! Haven't seen one of those since April 2016 (Rutland Water).
I found the Cattle Egret at Middleton at 2:25 (I was thinking it was pretty dead until then too) - I don't know how much you missed it by.
Haven't seen much of you lately Geoff - Lincolnshire been particularly good this year?

2 and a LB Dowitcher eh? Very nice! Haven't seen one of those since April 2016 (Rutland Water).
I found the Cattle Egret at Middleton at 2:25 (I was thinking it was pretty dead until then too) - I don't know how much you missed it by.
Haven't seen much of you lately Geoff - Lincolnshire been particularly good this year?
Since getting my electric horse I tend to keep to the good paths now and don't come in from the Dosthill side.
Lincolnshire has been quite uneventful until now, hope we get some easterlies.

If the Cattle Egret is Still with with you can you send it down the Tame Valley into Sandwell Valley please. Dave

Sorry Dave - it seems to have moved on pretty damn quick! It's not been seen since Thursday afternoon. It was heading west the last time I saw it so it could be heading your way - keep your eyes peeled!

Water levels still high despite the river looking much lower and the gauge only reading just above 1. On Northpit were 4 Green Sandpiper (1 to the right of the hide and 3 down the west side). On JW just a single Dunlin and 7 Snipe. Hobby hunting along river. Wigeon numbers increasing with 40 on Dosthill NR North and a handful on reedbed pool. 2 GWE in the riverside roost - 1 off East Scrape and the other came in from the north. Perfect conditions for Owls but nothing just a Tawny calling in the wood on my way back.

Quick dash round after work and having not seen much was heading back to the waterski centre when noticed a Marsh Harrier with cream head hunting Fishers Mill. It dropped into the reeds and didn't reappear so either was on prey or had gone to roost before the rain started. GWE was on West Scrape, Goosander river and Shelduck East Scrape.

Quick dash round after work and having not seen much was heading back to the waterski centre when noticed a Marsh Harrier with cream head hunting Fishers Mill. It dropped into the reeds and didn't reappear so either was on prey or had gone to roost before the rain started. GWE was on West Scrape, Goosander river and Shelduck East Scrape.
Also around this afternoon were circa 12 Wigeon, 1 Hobby and 3 Snipe on JWs.

Walked through from Kingsbury this afternoon and first encountered a Marsh Harrier flying south through Richards Meadow. When I got to West screen a bird flew North East though Jubilee Wetlands towards the top end of Dosthill NR and then moments later there was another over Fishers Mill. Could have all been the same individual but suspect 2 due to the timing of the last two sighting. On West Scrape was the Great White and in the middle of JW 2 Pintail. 7 Snipe were in flight and a wader which I'm told was a Ruff went through Northwards.

No real change tonight. Still 2 Pintail on JW and single Ruff. Barn Owl on Southern Meadow and nice to be able to see all 3 Great White Egrets in the riverside roost from one position but not close enough together for a photo. Only 15 Little Egret though which I thought was low but actually comparable to this time last year.

Water levels are ridiculously high again and the mud that was reappearing Sunday has all but gone. The pools seem to take hours to fill but weeks to drain and autumn migration passes us by with nowhere for the waders to stop and feed. On the upside we had a brief visit from a Wood Sandpiper this evening. This was on East Scrape with 3 Ruff and after incessant calling the Sandpiper seemed to nag the others into leaving as a group and they all headed off South. I saw a similar thing in the spring between a Grey Plover and Whimbrel. It's either more energy efficient, flying together or just safety in numbers.

On JW south were the 2 Pintail and on the north end a Tern was in flight but constantly trying to land with the BH Gulls. It was a possible Arctic but have little to substantiate this other than short legs and small beak but I was over 300 yards away. By the time I had dashed down to the north end it had gone.

3 GWE roosted with 16 Little Egret in the riverside willows. All 3 birds came in within a minute of each other at 18:59. One off West Scrape and 2 off North Pit.

Water levels are ridiculously high again and the mud that was reappearing Sunday has all but gone. The pools seem to take hours to fill but weeks to drain and autumn migration passes us by with nowhere for the waders to stop and feed. On the upside we had a brief visit from a Wood Sandpiper this evening. This was on East Scrape with 3 Ruff and after incessant calling the Sandpiper seemed to nag the others into leaving as a group and they all headed off South. I saw a similar thing in the spring between a Grey Plover and Whimbrel. It's either more energy efficient, flying together or just safety in numbers.

On JW south were the 2 Pintail and on the north end a Tern was in flight but constantly trying to land with the BH Gulls. It was a possible Arctic but have little to substantiate this other than short legs and small beak but I was over 300 yards away. By the time I had dashed down to the north end it had gone.

3 GWE roosted with 16 Little Egret in the riverside willows. All 3 birds came in within a minute of each other at 18:59. One off West Scrape and 2 off North Pit.
I agree with you about the lack of wader feeding areas, I'd like to see a tractor with a plough go over JWs. North Pit needs a complete makeover, the outlet weir has likely lowered with the runoff and could do with raising to wet the area in front of the hide.
To add to your list for yesterday I saw a Bar-headed Goose on NP, 1 Hobby, 1 Common Tern over NP, 4 Skylark flew south and a Willow Tit on canal meadow. A Marsh Harrier and a Lesser spotted Woodpecker (farm dead tree) were reported.

Little Stint on the east scrape this afternoon (pic). 2 Ruff on the North Pit & 2 on JWs along with a Dunlin. Great White Egret on on JWs north. A Marsh Harrier was seen over the North Pit & one was reported head towards KWP. This despite the water levels being high and a lot of undergrowth - so I was surprised.

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1506625676177.jpg
    FB_IMG_1506625676177.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 57
A Great White Egret was on JWs, also seen were 1 Dunlin, ca. 12 Snipe, 1 Common Sandpiper NP, and a Wheatear and Stonechat together on fence of JWs.
Goldeneye, Marsh Harrier and Ruff were reported.

.............North Pit needs a complete makeover, the outlet weir has likely lowered with the runoff and could do with raising to wet the area in front of the hide...................

Geoff - your wish may becoming true. The area to the left of the hide which has been strimmed is now being heavily grazed by the Geese and Ducks and with the high water levels is becoming suitable for waders once more. 3 Ruff on there tonight but difficult to find at times with so many Greylag in the way.

Also about 2 GWE and 16 LE in the Roost. Water levels on JW are now too high to attract anything with just a single Snipe about. Barn Owl chasing another Owl along the river out the back of Fishers Mill but too dark to identify the first one but it wasn't a Barn.

Geoff - your wish may becoming true. The area to the left of the hide which has been strimmed is now being heavily grazed by the Geese and Ducks and with the high water levels is becoming suitable for waders once more. 3 Ruff on there tonight but difficult to find at times.. .
I agree that area is looking better, there were 2 Ruff there on Thursday, also a group of 6 Snipe nearby in clear sight.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back